Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm sorry txt.

Why can't you get a credit card? I told you months ago that you needed one for emergencies and you scoffed at the idea.

Either she has no credit or bad credit. It's become very difficult to get a credit card now. She could get a secured card, but it would take awhile to get her credit built up and able to not have a cosigner for things.

My husband and I can't get credit cards, either, but it's because of bad credit due to job losses.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Either she has no credit or bad credit. It's become very difficult to get a credit card now. She could get a secured card, but it would take awhile to get her credit built up and able to not have a cosigner for things.

My husband and I can't get credit cards, either, but it's because of bad credit due to job losses.
I guess it is different now. When I was in college, they'd set up booths and give them away to anyone.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Txt have you tried going Rent By Owner instead of apartment complexs?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I guess it is different now. When I was in college, they'd set up booths and give them away to anyone.
I wasn't going to get into this but that's part of the problem. Txt hasn't done anything. She's not in college. She just spent months doing pretty much nothing but hanging out with her friends. Who, apparently, aren't the type who are responsible and secure enough to be used as a "hook up".

Sorry txt. I feel for you. But right now you are reaping what you sewed. Take a deep breath, calm the heck down, and make out a different plan of attack.

Your anger is getting you nowhere fast. And, again, you are going through what 99% of the people in this country go through to try and get established. There is no blue pill. The sooner you realize that the faster you will be able to quit expecting life on a silver tray.

Sorry, but.....

Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Txt have you tried going Rent By Owner instead of apartment complexs?
Yep, you're going to have to do that, probably. Nothing wrong with it. Apt complexes have rules that the individual managers are not allowed to break.

You'll find a landlord who'll be willing to take a chance, but without a long job history and no credit you will probably be SOL with the big complexes.

Personally, I hate those places, and for good reason, as they kept your deposit when they really shouldn't have because they turned you down. They should only keep it in the event that YOU back out. And please, before you find another one, check on this site Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. - they have some truly eye opening reviews on just about every single complex in the country.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Personally, I hate those places, and for good reason, as they kept your deposit when they really shouldn't have because they turned you down. They should only keep it in the event that YOU back out. And please, before you find another one, check on this site Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. - they have some truly eye opening reviews on just about every single complex in the country.
I agree that it was pretty rotten of them to keep the deposit. It may not even be legal, who knows. Actually, you might ask the people over in the Renting forum about it. There are renters and landlords from all over, and they have some pretty knowledgeable posters who would know the answer or where you could look for the answer. That kind of deposit is for if you flake out and rent somewhere else, IMO.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I wasn't going to get into this but that's part of the problem. Txt hasn't done anything. She's not in college. She just spent months doing pretty much nothing but hanging out with her friends. Who, apparently, aren't the type who are responsible and secure enough to be used as a "hook up".

Sorry txt. I feel for you. But right now you are reaping what you sewed. Take a deep breath, calm the heck down, and make out a different plan of attack.

Your anger is getting you nowhere fast. And, again, you are going through what 99% of the people in this country go through to try and get established. There is no blue pill. The sooner you realize that the faster you will be able to quit expecting life on a silver tray.

Sorry, but.....
I agree. She is. It is one of those things that should have been done a long time ago. At 18 I had a job and a bank account and that bank gave me a credit card. That was 4 years ago for txt. Four years ago was before the economic melt down. If she had job back then, she could have established credit by now. I have adult relatives far older than txt that don't have credit. I mean, it could be worse. Personally, I can't imagine living that way.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Is your phone account in your name?
Car Insurance?
Do you have a debit card?
Try setting up a secured credit card in your name.
Back in the day, a revolving store account was relatively easy to get. Make a small purchase occasionally and pay it off timely.

It will take some time, but I believe all of these will go to your credit (I could be wrong though, it's been awhile and lots has changed).

Regarding your deposit.....that's exactly why I mentioned reading what you signed. Carefully.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Is your phone account in your name?
Car Insurance?
Do you have a debit card?
Try setting up a secured credit card in your name.
Back in the day, a revolving store account was relatively easy to get. Make a small purchase occasionally and pay it off timely.

It will take some time, but I believe all of these will go to your credit (I could be wrong though, it's been awhile and lots has changed).

Regarding your deposit.....that's exactly why I mentioned reading what you signed. Carefully.
In my experience, many of those bills only report to the credit bureaus when you're late. At least for us and others I know, they do not go positively on your report as they don't report that. We're going to have to get a secured card for each of us, but due to more unexpected job losses (California's economy is still absolutely horrid) we have to wait for a bit.

We can't move right now because we have a lease, but if nothing comes up before June we'll probably be out of here.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
In my experience, many of those bills only report to the credit bureaus when you're late. At least for us and others I know, they do not go positively on your report as they don't report that. We're going to have to get a secured card for each of us, but due to more unexpected job losses (California's economy is still absolutely horrid) we have to wait for a bit.

We can't move right now because we have a lease, but if nothing comes up before June we'll probably be out of here.
Ah, psr, I'm sorry, that really sucks. Sending good thoughts for something to turn around soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting