Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Have you considered looking for someone who already has an apartment and is looking for a roommate?

Have you tried advertising on craig's list just to see if you can find some like minded people living with their parents and hoping to move out?

You might not have the money yet, but there's nothing wrong with starting your research.

Of course use street smarts. That goes without saying.
I have.
I went to look at one place yesterday.

It add about another 10 minutes onto my drive to work. Its with 3 other people. Its in a house, I'd get my own room and access to a bathroom that I really wouldn't share with anyone else.

But they all seem a lot younger than I am. They want someone 22 or younger, they all seem to be about 18-20.

I don't think it would really work out.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
But that's a start! You had a chance to see there are possibilities. If you keep looking, you'll eventually find the right match.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
But that's a start! You had a chance to see there are possibilities. If you keep looking, you'll eventually find the right match.
And everything affordable is too far. With the distance that my house is from work already I either need to move somewhere in the town I live in now or closer to work and that is slightly more expensive.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And everything affordable is too far. With the distance that my house is from work already I either need to move somewhere in the town I live in now or closer to work and that is slightly more expensive.
How far is your commute right now? And how long does it take you to get there?

Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM

Well, I waited for an answer. I'm going to bed now.

I just have a hard time believing that your town is the only town within equal distance from where you work.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
How far is your commute right now? And how long does it take you to get there?
Sorry, wasn't watching this tab.
I work 14 miles from my job, its about a 20-30 minute drive to work, depending on the time of day but it still takes no less than 20 minutes, even with speeding.

I will message you the rest I wanted to say.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:20 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Good morning all. 10 years ago today I was getting ready for work, was running late, and hadn't turned the TV on like I usually do. My parents called and said to turn on CNN.

We're watching the memorial on TV now. DS6 doesn't really get it. DS8 is sad.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Awe. I forgot it was 9/11 this morning. Still having my caffeine.

10 years ago, I was on AOL chatting with my friend who lives in Manhattan. It was our normal morning routine. Then all of a sudden he frantically told me to turn on the TV. We watched together. When the first tower fell, he TOTALLY freaked. His children attended school just a block away from the trade center. He left to go find them. I didn't hear from him for months. Kept calling him, no answer. I had no idea if he was dead or alive, or if his children were okay. Months of thinking my friend was dead but not able to find confirmation. Furtunately, his immediate family was okay. Unfortunately, he lost friends and extended family. He just disappeared from society for a long, long time because he was so traumatized.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Remember how ten years ago people thought it was weird to have online friends?

I belonged-- still do-- to an online discussion group (also spun off from AOL, oddly enough) with several members in the NYC area and one whose husband worked at the Pentagon. We spent the day in a frenzy of trying to locate people. I was living in podunk at the time, and it all felt completely unreal. Still does, really, on a certain level.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:53 AM

On Piers Morgan (hate him), I saw a fascinating interview of Howard Lutnick, CEO of Cantor Fitzgerald. He is an amazing person. His firm was located on the floors hit by a plane. He lost almost 700 employees, many of them friends and family because the firm encouraged nepotism.

The firm was stuck with 58 million in securities that needed to be sold quickly or the banks wouldn't let him try to rebuid the business. He and the remaining employees worked 24/7, sleeping on cots with only 4 hours sleep. Within a month, they sold those securities and got the firm financially stable enough to send 40 million dollars to the families of the employees who died. He continued to pay them 20% of his company profits for 5 years.

The only reason he and his employees went back to work immediately, the next day after 9/11, was to work to support the families of their coworkers who died. He said to them on the phone the night of 9/11, "Listen. We can go to 20 funerals a day for the next 30 days or we can try to rebuild this company so we can take care of their families." They chose going back to work for the families.

I was just very touched by this man, this wealthy man who could have walked away and started a new life, but he chose to work hard to take care of the families. Turns out he and his siblings were orphaned as teens. Extended family had avoided them, didn't take them in their homes. That's why he felt so strongly about taking care of those families.

I'm not doing the interview justice. It's definately worth watching if it airs again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting