Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 11:59 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

txt, I don't have a garage or a driveway. I managed to get the car cleaned off, warmed up, myself plus two kids bundled up and out the door right on time. I did not find myself slipping or sliding while I carried a baby through the snow. My 5 year old didn't seem to have any problems either. It's not like we had a blizzard. Go figure.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
txt, do you know the serenity prayer? It might help bring peace to you, in regards to your mom:

Give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, (not parking in the garage, the weather, your mom)
The courage to change the things I can, (condition of the driveway, your footwear)
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Most time, when I'm riled up about something, I take a hard look at what I can change in the situation. Sometimes, the only thing I can change is my attitude! But often, there are things I can take responsibility for, rather than wishing another person would do it, or that they would change.

Taking action on something I can change brings energy and clarity like nothing else - AND brings peace as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

I don't pray.

Well, rather than just offhandedly dismissing some good advice, you might take a look at the actual words and intent of the post.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
By the time I actually got outside for the first time yesterday I was leaving for work and then I came home after work and it was midnight, everything had frozen over already.
then go outside earlier! When it snows, we plan accordingly, get up earlier, and shovel.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
By the time I actually got outside for the first time yesterday I was leaving for work and then I came home after work and it was midnight, everything had frozen over already.
So? You should be prepared for the unexpected by having proper footwear in your car.

Quote:
It wasn't so much snow, there was very little the drive way was all ice.
Woopie. I live in a region where ice storms are more common than snow. I don't park in a garage. I've never fallen.

Quote:
I have money for my bills.
I do no not have money for luxuries.
I certainly don't have it for a bucket of salt.
Safety is not a luxury. Your expensive cell phone and cell phone plan is a luxury.

Quote:
I can't afford or lift a 50lb bucket, I couldn't pay for it or get it home.
You can't lift 50lbs? Wow! I can lift over 100lbs and I don't even work out. And I'm old. You have no excuse for being so weak. Honestly, I don't believe you.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You can't lift 50lbs? Wow! I can lift over 100lbs and I don't even work out. And I'm old. You have no excuse for being so weak. Honestly, I don't believe you.
Or get a friend to come along.

I've asked total strangers for help. I've never been turned down. EVER.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It isn't a luxury if you are truly fearful of getting hurt, not just whining. A small bottle of Ice-Melt is under $20. A trip to the ER is much more. I'll bet you could find $20 to order a pizza. You should have some in your car during the winter anyway.

ETA: Amazon.com: Morton 7872 Safe-T-Plus EcoSafe Snow & Ice Melt, 12-Pound Jug: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Probably even cheaper at your place of employement - plus your discount.
Not to sound like I am arguing but I don't have my discount yet.
And it is a luxury if it means the difference between getting lunch for a week or getting ice melt.

I scraped my car the other day for .29 to get a cup of ramen and luckily I found about a $1.60 in my car and was able to get myself a drink too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, rather than just offhandedly dismissing some good advice, you might take a look at the actual words and intent of the post.
I see the intent but I still don't pray.
Nor am I going to change my attitude about a situation when I should be angry.
It's not so much the garage I am angry about its the principle behind her attitude and her not caring at all. I slip in the yard more than I do the drive way because I have to park so far over to the left im stepping out into the snow in the yard and there's an incline. I can't shovel the yard.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
then how do you plan to have enough money to move out?

I think I've slipped once since we've lived here.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
They have garages, so we'll see but I've lived in those apartments before, they are pretty good about about not plowing snow in behind cars and they keep the sidewalks very clear
Txt. I can tell you right now, garages cost extra. I'm a little shocked that you don't seem to know this. And I'm sure the apartments do keep the sidewalks and the main areas as clear as possible, they can't always get between parked cars and you won't always get a space right next to a sidewalk. You may actually, occasionally touch some snow. You live in a climate that does snow. Sometimes lots. It is not wise to drive around without some snow type stuff in your car - including a small thing of Ice-Melt, a scraper, some gloves and maybe some kitty-litter or pieces of cardboard to help with traction if you get stuck.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
then how do you plan to have enough money to move out?

I think I've slipped once since we've lived here.
Exactly, if money is that tight, you don't really have any business signing a lease. Especially when you needed a cosigner who will ultimately be on the hook if (when) you can't make rent.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
I see the intent but I still don't pray.
Nor am I going to change my attitude about a situation when I should be angry.
It's not so much the garage I am angry about its the principle behind her attitude and her not caring at all. I slip in the yard more than I do the drive way because I have to park so far over to the left im stepping out into the snow in the yard and there's an incline. I can't shovel the yard.
Back the car in and you won't step into the yard. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting