Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think the snow days in our district have something to do with it being such a large district that some parts of it may get much more snow that others. Also, some parts are still quite rural. If the school bus cannot get there (think way east of you, almost to the next county), that is an issue.

I do agree that several times in the past couple of years, school has been cancelled/delayed in a more "anticipatory" fashion. It doesn't always pan out. And, in some cases, we get more/icier snow and school is not delayed/cancelled when it really perhaps should have been. It's kind of a carpshoot either way. Glad I'm not the one who has to make that decision by 4 am.
Yes, I think so. Although they do it by HS feeder area, so they could cancel for the rural areas, and not for in town. But our school does get kids bussed from rural areas. Probably several do.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
No experience with shoe stretchers or snow days here!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Vent!

An ongoing issue I have with my kids is that I have to tell them 3, 4, 5 times to do something. By the 3rd time, I'm yelling, and am thus "mean". Today I told them to take a pile of halloween toys to the basement. They took some. I told them a 2nd and 3rd time, so they took almost all of the rest down. During the 4th time, the TV was on, so they didn't move a muscle when I said it. Hubby paused the TV so that I could tell them a 5th time that if they didn't take the last of the stuff down, I was throwing it away! LO8 proceeds to tell me about a lesson they learned in school about how to say things nicely. So now I'm fully yelling at them that I'm not mean, etc.

The last toy is now sitting on the coffee table. I think I'm going to throw it away.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
An ongoing issue I have with my kids is that I have to tell them 3, 4, 5 times to do something. By the 3rd time, I'm yelling, and am thus "mean". Today I told them to take a pile of halloween toys to the basement. They took some. I told them a 2nd and 3rd time, so they took almost all of the rest down. During the 4th time, the TV was on, so they didn't move a muscle when I said it. Hubby paused the TV so that I could tell them a 5th time that if they didn't take the last of the stuff down, I was throwing it away! LO8 proceeds to tell me about a lesson they learned in school about how to say things nicely. So now I'm fully yelling at them that I'm not mean, etc.

The last toy is now sitting on the coffee table. I think I'm going to throw it away.

LOL..... just going through this now, with our 3 yr old grandson. NOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always loved it when my kids pulled that stuff, then said....so innocently, "You don't have to get so maaaaad." "Oh REALLY!? Then what DO I have to do!? Oh I know....turn off the TELEVISION, um, for the rest of the DAY! Wow, I don't know about you, but I feel MUCH better now!!"

Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
So now I'm fully yelling at them that I'm not mean, etc.
LMAO! Kids sure can push us over the edge! Here's a previous post of mine explaining my family's solution to this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Strawberries. It means "I've reached my limit. Stop bugging me before l blow."

As all children occassionally do, my kids would push the limits and I'd go crazy and flip out. One day, I said that I didn't like getting upset, didn't like being pushed to the point of yelling, and we needed a way for them to realize that when I say "enough" I mean "enough." My daughter decided the word should be "strawberries." Worked perfectly. Anytime I said "strawberries" they would stop annoying me. Then one day, I was trying to talk to my son about something and he said "strawberries" to me. Apparently, he had reached his limit with the lecture and felt he was about to get upset. So, strawberries goes both ways in our household. I said strawberries just last week. It has been years since I said it. And I discovered that we still respect strawberries in my household even after all these years.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM

that's cute, Hopes!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
When we moved from FL to GA, the boys had a much earlier bus pickup time. I used to yell up the stairs on a regular basis "Hurry up, you're gonna miss the BUSSSSSSS!". They hated it, and one day they made me a deal. If I would stay in bed and cease the yelling, they promised to never miss the bus. It worked beautifully.

MM, the shoe maker has a spray that makes the leather more pliable. After they apply it, then they do the stretching. I'm not sure you could get the same results.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 AM

I'm up way too early. Schools are closed today. I don't know if I'm happy about that or not!

Old 11-02-2011, 06:27 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
I'm up way too early. Schools are closed today. I don't know if I'm happy about that or not!
LOL......STRAWBERRIES!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:

Grr. That can be so frustrating. I love how they turn you yelling at them out of frustration of them not listening into you being mean. DD used to do that to me. She has learned to jump up the second I ask her to put something away. During one of these events in our house, I was able to stay calm. I have no idea how. I finally said "I am going to count to 3 and if things aren't being put away at an acceptable pace and in acceptable places, I will start throwing things away." She didn't believe me. I got to 3 and started throwing things away. I made sure I only threw away cheap McDonalds toys and things I didn't care about anyway, but she didn't know that. She threw a fit. I told her I would stop throwing things away when she started cleaning. She started and I stopped. She cleaned part of it and then quit before it was done. I counted to 3 again and started throwing things away. She jumped up and finished cleaning.

To this day if I ask her to pick up and put away anything in the house, she jumps up right away. If she doesn't I just start counting and she jumps up. It doesn't work for DH though because he threatens and then doesn't follow through. The one time he did follow through, he felt so bad afterwards that he went out and bought her a treat for listening to him eventually. Ugh. Well, he made his bed and now he is having to deal with it. He doesn't understand why she jumps up and does something for me, but will cuddle up to him or just ignore him when he asks her to do something.

Just so you know how dedicated I am to this, I even threw away a pair of the neighbor kid's shoes. she forgets her shoes at our house all of the time. I saw that she had a pair of broken flip flops at our house, so when she didn't start cleaning up her mess, I did the same thing to her and tossed her flip flops. She listens to me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting