Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

No DWTS fans?

Come on people! Where's the love?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No DWTS fans?

Come on people! Where's the love?
LOL... been kind of avoiding the chat thread...resisting the temptation and all....ya know! LOL Besides, had to satisfy that salt & starch temptation with those home made potato chips. What a pain...but what a treat!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Jimmy Kimmel pranks Ron Artest.

Jimmy Kimmel's Prank on Ron Artest - YouTube

Old 11-23-2011, 03:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
This behavior--getting a new job that pays more and gives more hours, thus mandated benifits after a certain length of time--leaving a Walmart Job that has no future--

Sounds like moving in a positive direction, one that in my opinion should be encouraged, not swooped down upon with negativity.
Not all states mandate benefits for full time employees. Anyways, we're more concerned about txt sticking with something. She never stays at a job for more than a few months. We've been trying to encourage her to establish a stable work history. Stick with something. And BAM, suddenly she's leaving Walmart. Even though this is a better opportunity, she still needs to be reminded about the importance of a stable work history. She quits places without notice sometimes. It's like, hopefully we're planting seeds---and someday, someday, they might take root and she'll remember what we said and apply it.

Quote:
You guys need to realize what you sound like to a newcomer.
We have been txt's cyber mommies for a few years now. She comes here again and again because it helps her. Our tone has evolved to this because it is what gets through to her. She sometimes truly "gets it" after we bombard her. Not at first. But she takes time to think about it. Unfortunately she lapses easily. We do care about her, very much. We wouldn't have spent so many years trying to help her if we didn't.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
(((((HUGS))))) So very true! Also, if we didn't have hope, and faith that she has the ability to make the necessary changes, we wouldn't even bother. I know it can sound really harsh at times, but like Hopes said, it seems to be the only thing that does get through.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Yep. I DO care about txt. Very much. If I didn't care so much about her using her God-given talents (she can be funny as heck and is a very talented writer - I've told her that) to make a success of her life I wouldn't be so hard on her. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Hey, txt. I know you're reading this. Happy Thanksgiving. I'm glad you've got a Grandma who gives you hugs at Walmart. Hug her back. Hard.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Remember you're talking about Textqueen. She just started working at Walmart recently, and is upset about not having an immediate opportunity for promotion. Unlike the rest of the Known World, which knows if you want a promotion, you have to prove you're willing to stick with the job you have, and improve with it.

With a promotion comes added responsibility. The #1 requisite for such an opportunity is proof that you can handle the responsibility you have now. She hasn't proven that yet, because she hasn't been working there long enough to prove it. Her -past- history proves, in fact, that she _cannot_ stick with something long enough to prove she can handle the responsibility.

Stick-to-it-iveness is what managers look for when they need to promote from within. Anyone can ring up a cash register or stock a shelf. But if you can't *continue* to do that for a year, then you don't have what it takes to move up in the company.

Welcome to the world of retail.
Yes, I know. I was just making a point. You have to put in a certain amount of time before you can change positions, let alone get a promotion. Of course others are going want the promotion, too, and the newbie probably has no shot of getting it. However, the company does have advancement opportunities. You just have to be a good worker with a good attitude for the right amount of time.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Walmart is notorious for only giving limited hours--less than 35 so that they do not have to offer benifits. Not a good place to work.

Just the raise in pay and full time hours at TXT's new job should be motivation enough to change jobs.

She came here excited an happy about her news,I can't believe everyone is putting her down for this.
Sorry, but everyone I know who works there or has in the past has thought it's a good place to work for retail. Almost all retail stores treat their employees the same or worse than Wal-Mart, but only Wal-Mart gets the bad rap.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not all states mandate benefits for full time employees. Anyways, we're more concerned about txt sticking with something. She never stays at a job for more than a few months. We've been trying to encourage her to establish a stable work history. Stick with something. And BAM, suddenly she's leaving Walmart. Even though this is a better opportunity, she still needs to be reminded about the importance of a stable work history. She quits places without notice sometimes. It's like, hopefully we're planting seeds---and someday, someday, they might take root and she'll remember what we said and apply it.

Wasn't that gas station job that she quit after a month or two also full-time? It's just the continual quitting of jobs. My husband has three jobs so that he can have a stable work history with at least one of his jobs, and he makes sure that any new job he gets works with that one job's schedule so he can keep that stable work history. Stable work history is very, very, very important.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Sorry, but everyone I know who works there or has in the past has thought it's a good place to work for retail. Almost all retail stores treat their employees the same or worse than Wal-Mart, but only Wal-Mart gets the bad rap.
I worked for WalMart when I was in college. Worst place I ever worked and believe me, when I was a youngster I worked for them all, Kmart, Zayres, mall retail shops, etc. Even Burger King and McDonalds and all of them, while not pleasant, were way better employers than Wally World. I know a girl who lives near me who works at one now and she hates it more than I ever did. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting