Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times

Advertisements

Clearly, the Walmart issue is like any company. Attitude, perception and even co-workers & management clearly makes a difference. Some Walmart employees think it's a great place to work. Some think it's the best.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I worked for WalMart when I was in college. Worst place I ever worked and believe me, when I was a youngster I worked for them all, Kmart, Zayres, mall retail shops, etc. Even Burger King and McDonalds and all of them, while not pleasant, were way better employers than Wally World. I know a girl who lives near me who works at one now and she hates it more than I ever did. YMMV.
Maybe it's personality or regional then. I know a lot of people working there, and they prefer it to most other retail or restaurant gigs.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:46 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Wal-Mart is sued two to five times each day somewhere in the United States
Does WalMart avoid paying its workers for work done?
Women take case against Wal-Mart to highest court - USATODAY.com
Ten Things Wal-Mart Doesn’t Want You To Know - Campus Progress
Wal-Mart settles $54 million worker lawsuit - BloggingStocks
Wal-Mart Corporate Record
Wal-Mart Litigation Project (http://www.wal-martlitigation.com/99verdic.htm - broken link)

Good listing of w mart facts
Wal-Mart RealFacts

Our communtiy successfully blocked the building of a Walmart superstore five years ago.
It was built in a small town 15 miles away. Our small businesses survive--some of theirs have closed.

Another community battle:

Local 338: Walmart

Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
WalMart is outlawed here...seriously, it is barred from being in the city.

I've never worked in retail so I don't know how WalMart compares to anything else. I do know someone who works at a WalMart and she says it isn't perfect but it pays the bills and she actually gets good benefits.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
WalMart is outlawed here...seriously, it is barred from being in the city.

I've never worked in retail so I don't know how WalMart compares to anything else. I do know someone who works at a WalMart and she says it isn't perfect but it pays the bills and she actually gets good benefits.
Pass, I think that's pretty cool, actually, that your city has banned Walmart. First, our nearest neighboring large town put in a K-mart. It put so very many of our long-time local businesses out of sale. Walmart was allowed in and shortly afterward, K-mart dried up and left the area. Sadly, even more of the smaller businesses went out of business. They simply couldn't compete with Walmart.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Pass, I think that's pretty cool, actually, that your city has banned Walmart. First, our nearest neighboring large town put in a K-mart. It put so very many of our long-time local businesses out of sale. Walmart was allowed in and shortly afterward, K-mart dried up and left the area. Sadly, even more of the smaller businesses went out of business. They simply couldn't compete with Walmart.
That makes me so sad The same thing happened to our town when a Buffalo Wild Wings and a Red Robin popped up- the small, hometown "Jim and Joe's Bar and Grill" type places just couldn't compete...

Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It's technically a ban on all stores above a certain size (which includes any WalMart). However, we did end up with a Target after several years of fighting over it and making them jump through a bunch of hoops.

We still have a ton of small stores downtown although a few have closed. I don't know if it has to do with Target or the bad economy in general.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday with good company and good food!

Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Happy Thanksgiving everone!

Special Happy Turkey Day to all the mods. Thanks for doing the hard job of keeping us all under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting