Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Morning (?) Kobber! In general, spiders don't bother me too much (the normal, small creepy crawlies around here). But. If I found a big ol' one actually ON me? Blah! I've had conversations with men returning or on R&R from the Middle East and seen pics of those nasty looking camel spiders....that would freak me out big time.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Ha! As a matter of fact, I just moved the step ladder into the kitchen, ready to attack Kobber's Kitchen Kobwebs just as soon as I've moved the living room furniture back to its rightful place. It may well be lunchtime by then, so I'll make some immunity-building toast and perform an experiment. Results in about 3 hours.
Eagerly awaiting preliminary test results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Fin and EWAG, it doesn't end. We just worry about different things with our kids now.
Sigh. I know, I know. We all signed up for a life altering experience. Hope DS gets back to school safely at an early hour! And, mmmmm, brownies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well geez, that's not what you're supposed to say.
Hee!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

I saw something on TV about this a while back - apparently toast lands butter side down because it rotates as it falls - and humans are about the right height for it not to make a complete revolution before landing on the floor. If you were holding it butter side down at the time of dropping, it would land right side up. I wonder how tall you need to be for the toast to have time to make a complete revolution?

Back to the stepladder I go.
lmao. I just spit my drink out because now I am picturing you with a stack of buttered toast on a step ladder dropping piece after piece seeing how high you have to get before you get a full revolution.

Thanks. I needed a laugh today.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 PM

txt- the Walmart near me has a sign on the bag carousel that says something about not letting children play with it.

You could hold it still and look at the little snowflake and say (in a very nice gentle voice) "You shouldn't spin that because your fingers can get caught." So what if it offends the parents. At least you won't have blood all over your register when one of the angels loses a finger. If they complain to management, I am sure that they won't be too mad at you because you are just preventing a lawsuit.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
lmao. I just spit my drink out because now I am picturing you with a stack of buttered toast on a step ladder dropping piece after piece seeing how high you have to get before you get a full revolution.

Thanks. I needed a laugh today.
What you pictured is not too far from the truth - except there was only one piece of buttered toast. Okay here are the results.

Materials:
1 piece of medium toast, with just enough butter to allow easy identification of the buttered side.
1 Step ladder - 12 inches between steps.
1 Female - 5ft 3in
1 Old dish towel placed on floor as a landing pad.

First test - using whole slice of toast - the toast landed BUTTER SIDE UP every time whether I was standing on the ground, or on each of the first 3 rungs of the ladder (the 4th rung is too dizzy-inducing for this old chook). The toast just dropped like a stone - no revolutions or partial revolutions. The only time I could make the toast land butter side down was when I tipped it off the bench (standing on the ground) rather than simply dropped it.

Second test - after cutting toast diagonally (= 2 triangles) - the toast landed BUTTER SIDE DOWN eight times out of ten, whether I was standing on the ground or on each of the first three rungs of the ladder, and whether I knocked it off the bench or just dropped it.

Conclusion - if you want your toast to land butter side up, don't cut it and don't knock it off the bench.

As a scientific test, it was an epic fail... but as a step class it was a huge success.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Thanks for running that test for us! Good info to have!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 PM

Very good test. Now I have to wonder about the factors you may not have thought of. How were you holding the toast before you dropped it? Most people are holding one side of it and it kind of fumbles out of their hand. Maybe it is the fumble that starts the rotation. Were you holding it perfectly flat?

hmm... Now I may have to do an experiment this weekend and see if different holds will affect the rotation. Also, does jelly create more spin than butter?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Kobber - that's excellent! Thank you for taking one for the team, and conducting the experiment so efficiently!

I thought this was a funny read:
BBC - h2g2 - Why Toast Falls Butter Side Down

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
omg Kobber - thanks for the laugh! I can't believe you actually did the test - that's hilarious.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Kobber - that's excellent! Thank you for taking one for the team, and conducting the experiment so efficiently!

I thought this was a funny read:
BBC - h2g2 - Why Toast Falls Butter Side Down
That was too funny. It even mentioned my extreme concern with how the toast was held during the experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting