Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Just thing how much IMMUNITY you and your family will build up!

Bette... have a wonderful time yachting with your family!
Perhaps we can start a new vax or pet hair controversy...

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Kobber - Absolutely awesome! Can I throw some Irish Soda Bread into the mix? - that's nice and dense and always heavily buttered on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Perhaps we can start a new vax or pet hair controversy...
I think Julia might kill us!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ah, yes, I call that "curious puppy head" (from when my dogs look at us curiously like we're slightly insane) - just nod and smile and keep mental notes - they all make for good stories one day.
I do it way too much. I have such a hard time holding back my facial expressions.
Some women get so aggressive with their kids, and even the guys too.
They all catch me staring as they drag snowflake jr by the arm or whisper something or whatever. I have to quickly look away and pretend like im doing something important. I look young enough they might wanna come smack me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
txt- the Walmart near me has a sign on the bag carousel that says something about not letting children play with it.

You could hold it still and look at the little snowflake and say (in a very nice gentle voice) "You shouldn't spin that because your fingers can get caught." So what if it offends the parents. At least you won't have blood all over your register when one of the angels loses a finger. If they complain to management, I am sure that they won't be too mad at you because you are just preventing a lawsuit.
I have to be very careful when saying ANYTHING. I have a tendency to sound too much like Dane Cook when ANYTHING comes out of my mouth that I want to say a different way but can't.

Just tonight a mother told her child VERY SARCASTICALLY that he was going to get a parking lot beating. Then proceeded to tell the story of the woman who got in trouble for beating her toddler in a parking lot and was caught on camera, which then led to the discussion of people beating their children in stores etc and our experiences.

I have zero tolerance for it. If its a smack on the hand, a pop to the leg and the childs being a brat to begin with, I won't say anything but like the lady I saw in Kroger in Tennessee, who backhanded the ever loving sh*t out of her child because she stepped on her flip flop, I wanted to curb stomp her face so hard for that and I said something. More like exclaiming out loud at how shocked and appalled as I was and as she got a good distance away from me I said something like some people should not be parents.

I cannot stand to see that. It just makes my blood boil.
I have been hit in a grocery store before by my brothers dad.
I wish some good samaritans had jumped in and beat his azz so he knew what it felt like.
Hitting me wasn't warranted, I had gotten in trouble earlier in the grocery store, was made to hold onto the handle of the cart and push it, at that age and height my arms tired quickly I asked my mom if I could take them off and seconds later I was face first into a shelf. I swear if I ever see that man again, I will administer a few good punches, sorry, IDGAFF if its assualt now, b*tches get what they deserve in the end. *mumbles something about backwoods redneck men with no damn IQ*

Wow.....uhm....yeah...rant over?

Sorry touchy subject...

Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
All this talk of toast landing butter side down reminds me of one of my favorite random internet pictures:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...oast_swirl.gif

Attach a piece of buttered toast to a cat and get anti-gravity!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
^ it makes perfect sense!

All this talk about toast makes me want to eat toast!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Good morning! And good-whatever-time-it is to Kobber of the Newly Shiny Corners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
PRECIOUS LITTLE SNOWFLAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not meaning to aim this just at you, txt, because its use is rampant in these forums, but I really hate this term. No matter how reprehensible the child's behavior, it's still bad form, especially since it was originally applied to children with special needs by schoolteachers. The minute I hear it, all the speaker (or writer)'s credibility is shot.
FWIW, I don't like "gay" or "ree-tard", either.

Last edited by Aconite; 09-14-2011 at 05:31 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Not meaning to aim this just at you, txt, because its use is rampant in these forums, but I really hate this term. No matter how reprehensible the child's behavior, it's still bad form, especially since it was originally applied to children with special needs by schoolteachers. The minute I hear it, all the speaker (or writer)'s credibility is shot.
I had no idea about the origin of special snowflake - it has totally different (and benign) connotations to me! I'll try not to use it anymore. I'm sorry if I offended you without meaning to!!

ETA: I also hate those other words - now I know to add snowflake to the list. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 09-14-2011 at 06:56 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Morning all!

Kobber - outstanding.

Aconite - thanks for the heads up on that. Had no idea.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Good morning! And good-whatever-time-it is to Kobber of the Newly Shiny Corners!

Re the bolded: I don't like when I hear those either. To me the person who uses those terms, their IQ drops by about 20 points in my mind.

I had no idea about snowflake. I had only heard it used to describe a child who can do no wrong, not about special needs kids. I am sorry if I offended you and I am sure I did if that phrase is in with the other two words.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Good Morning All!

How is everyone doing this morning?

Aconite - I do use that phrase, sorry if it offended anyone. I'm another one that was only aware of it meaning a child who can do no wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting