Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That bird is making me nuts.

Thunk. thunk. thunk. thunk. thunkthunkthunk. thunk. He can't even keep a beat.
Ah, a rhythm-impaired woodpecker. That is no good. It would seriously drive me insane (sort of like the rhythm-impaired guitarist who lived upstairs from us years ago and knew only two songs which he practiced constantly).

Is there some kind of safe woodpecker repellent? ETA: Or music teacher for those of the feathered persuasion?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Field trip to the music museum?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Blast some music and see if he picks up the beat from it. Oooooh. I am seeing another experiment here. We can see if he like clasical, jazz, country, rock, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Is there some kind of safe woodpecker repellent?
People try all kinds of things. Hanging old DVDs from string. Fake owls. (We have real owls. Nada.) There are even these mechanical giant spiders that are supposed to bounce down and scare off the evil-doers.

I could shoot him. Who wants to post my bail?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
People try all kinds of things. Hanging old DVDs from string. Fake owls. (We have real owls. Nada.) There are even these mechanical giant spiders that are supposed to bounce down and scare off the evil-doers.

I could shoot him. Who wants to post my bail?
Hmmm, only need bail if you get caught, right? Maybe you just need to, ahem, make him an offer he can't refuse?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Apropos of nothing, DS has managed to pick up a new phrase. He just asked me for ice cream and when I said no, he turned around to walk away and said, "Oh, man!" in this very sincere little 3 yo version of a teenage voice.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Nice usage of haboob.
And crevice.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Oh, that's not what I think of when I read it. I think of a parent who thinks their child is somehow more special than another child, like too special to have to behave in a store. I never equated it with "gay" or "retard", which I don't use, or special needs.
As it's being more widely used, that's how a lot of people are using it. But it's been routinely applied to Special Ed parents, and specifically Special Ed kids, in ed circles for at least as long as I've been doing advocacy. Because...yanno...how dare we ask for people to make a change in their classroom or their routine just to accommodate the fact that our Little Broken Kid somehow managed to wangle the right to an education. We must think Little Broken Kid is some kind of special snowflake or something.

Sorry. I'll climb off my soapbox now.

I get that there are overbearing, entitled parents. (We have some across the street.) And yeah, they're often coupled with badly behaved, entitled kiddies. Just IMO, that's not the best of all possible ways to refer to them.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Morning, everyone! 15 pages since I was last here. I can't keep up!

Doctor's appointment this afternoon. Two exams tomorrow, have to study. Hubby will be home Thursday or Friday, can't remember.

txt, I'm glad you're feeling better. We don't have the same thing. I don't have a cold or flu. This is a sinus infection and bronchitis due to annual allergies. No amount of rest can fix this in mere days.

Ladies, I need meal ideas for hubby while he's away. His new schedule will have him out for 72 hours straight. Which sounds terrible but he'll be home for 4 days a week straight so I think it's going to be great! He has a portable refrigerator (more like an electric cooler), but no microwave because he switches vehicles.

When he worked 42 hour shifts, I packed sandwiches and cut up fresh fruit and vegetables, trying to keep his diet as healthy as possible. It's gotta be boring to crunch on things like red peppers, carrots and nuts all the time.

Any ideas for how to switch it up? What are good cold meals? Needs to to be weight conscious because he gained some weight while being off and his job isn't physical anymore. He has been taking 3 mile walks on his breaks to compensate.

Laughing @ Julia's LOOK!
Manchild's favorite cold lunch items are lunchmeat roll-ups (meat, cheese, rolled up like a fruit rollup, but healthier, especially if you buy the no-icky-chemicals stuff from the deli), pita and hummus or baba ghanouj, bagels with neufchatel, vegetable sushi (solves the problem of raw fish), cold chicken wings (if we're flush, those things can be spendy), leftover meatloaf or pizza, and whatever fruit I can find. (I won't tell you about the junk food he packs along with those. All I can say is "he's thirteen".)

Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hopes, what about cold pasta salads?

bowties + lots of chopped veggies (carrots, bell pepper, broc, zucchini, etc.) + chicken + sesame dressing
rotini + veggies + olives + chicken or a little bit of pepperoni or salami + Italian dressing
spaghetti + thinly sliced chicken + sliced green onions and carrots + peanut butter dressing (I have a recipe if you want)
If you use whole wheat pasta or one with added protein (Barilla Plus), you don't have to use a lot of meat. They are very filling. Or you could make other sandwiches like turkey meatloaf (I had this yesterday for lunch), curried chicken salad with grapes (super good), cranberry cashew chicken salad, egg salad, turkey salad with egg and pickles.

Another good salad is spinach or spring mix + red onion + veggies (cukes, carrots, whatever) + deviled eggs on top with mustard dressing. You could pack him up some bento boxes with all the separate components so nothing gets soggy.
Yum! <bookmarking> Yes, recipe please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting