Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 02:24 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Does that mean it would probably be too challenging for us to start with?

If so, do you recommend something easier so we can feel successful?
No - just takes more time to plan it. So if you were you want it hot out of the oven for dinner - just plan to start it about 2 1/2 hours earlier. Otherwise, it's simple with few ingredients.

My sweet roll recipe is:

Sweet Dinner Rolls Recipe - Allrecipes.com

These are so, so good. I don't make the crescents - I just made round rolls.

And a really good wheat bread is:

Kid-Friendly Wheat Bread Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Pizza dough:

Jay's Signature Pizza Crust Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Now you have to keep us posted Hopes!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Thanks! I definitely will update everyone! I want to try one this weekend!

Hopefully hubby isn't tearing apart the house. I'd have to climb over furniture to get into the kitchen right now. I'm hiding upstairs again today!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
No - just takes more time to plan it. So if you were you want it hot out of the oven for dinner - just plan to start it about 2 1/2 hours earlier. Otherwise, it's simple with few ingredients.

My sweet roll recipe is:

Sweet Dinner Rolls Recipe - Allrecipes.com

These are so, so good. I don't make the crescents - I just made round rolls.

And a really good wheat bread is:

Kid-Friendly Wheat Bread Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Pizza dough:

Jay's Signature Pizza Crust Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Thanks coop. Awesome. I'm still a bit in awe of you though. (lots of awes there. )

Pizza dough would be good. (to start) I have a Cuisinart that I got for my wedding - I really wanted one, but I only really used it for making red pepper relish once, and it has sat on a shelf in the basement since. It came with pizza dough doodads though (including a pizza baking tray thingy, which I use all the time). So I should do it! Yeah!

I found myself using the immersion blender mainly (or emergency blender, as MissFR calls it) for doing stuff, and I feel bad I am neglecting my food processor. Bad Cuisinart Mommy.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
neglecting my food processor
LOL!

I don't have a food processor....I'm afraid I'd end up neglecting it also. Plus - I have very limited cupboard space so making room for something pricey that I'm afraid I'd only use a handful of times per year is scary! I'm considering it more and more though....

I have to say though...for years I thought the same thing about my Kitchenaid....but I really do like having it. Wish I would have had it years ago when I made more cookies and breads for neighborhood gifts than I do anymore.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Pizza dough would be good. (to start) I have a Cuisinart that I got for my wedding - I really wanted one, but I only really used it for making red pepper relish once, and it has sat on a shelf in the basement since. It came with pizza dough doodads though (including a pizza baking tray thingy, which I use all the time). So I should do it! Yeah!

I found myself using the immersion blender mainly (or emergency blender, as MissFR calls it) for doing stuff, and I feel bad I am neglecting my food processor. Bad Cuisinart Mommy.
That's cute - I'll have to remember that term.

And speaking of food processors that reminds me -

Thank you Zim for your help. I ended up getting the Cuisinart. Love it.

Fin - food processor is also excellent for making scones. Here's my recipe:

Simple Scones Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I use fat free sour cream.

At Christmas time I buy the fresh cranberries and freeze them and have them year round to do cranberry/orange scones. Lemon/poppy seed is good too as long as you don't have an interview to go to.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Scones! The food of gods. I used to live in a little town that had a scone and tea shop. I spent lots of dollars there. I try to avoid making baked goods, even though I used to enjoy the process. Nobody eats them anymore, and I don't need the temptation.

I have a Cuisinart taking up space in my cabinet too. I have used it twice since I bought it. I am not good at reading all the directions, and I thought it was a bit of a pain to clean.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Hopes - I do use Bread flour. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
That's cute - I'll have to remember that term.

And speaking of food processors that reminds me -

Thank you Zim for your help. I ended up getting the Cuisinart. Love it.

Fin - food processor is also excellent for making scones. Here's my recipe:

Simple Scones Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I use fat free sour cream.
Excellent! Now the weather's getting cooler, I might just be inspired. I wish you could buy clotted cream here, so you can have scones with jam and cream (tho I think English scones and American scones are not the same thing).

Quote:
Lemon/poppy seed is good too as long as you don't have an interview to go to.
That's OK, the big hit of heroin I did last night will cover up the poppy seed trace.

(For all the lurkers out there, I kid.)

Old 09-15-2011, 03:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
You guys always make me laugh!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:49 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's OK, the big hit of heroin I did last night will cover up the poppy seed trace.
(For all the lurkers out there, I kid.)
Hahaha - too funny!

I've been catching up on the thread. LSE actually fell asleep downstairs for a little while (lending support to my "he's tired thus dysregulated" theory). He doesn't really do that anymore.

Such great news about MissFR, FR!! What do you think brought about the change? You must be relieved!! And good job, Miss FR!

Thanks for the preschool suggestions and experiences, everyone. I can't respond individually just now, but I appreciate them (and you!) all.

And oh my, all of these bread baking suggestions sound lovely. I've always wanted to try bread making, though something tells me I'll be otherwise occupied this fall! I'll just have to drool over what you make!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting