Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
OK, while we are talking about the cultural divide, the OP's statement that breastfeeding in public in his culture was taboo was curious, as it countered what I thought. I have a number of mom friends who originate from the OP's country, and I asked them. Their response was that it is not taboo at all when done discreetly.

I think this has way more to do with a young many feeling awkward than anything else.
The OP was pretty clear in specifying that the mother wasn't being very discrete. That - was the whole point of the post, and the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The OP was pretty clear in specifying that the mother wasn't being very discrete. That - was the whole point of the post, and the thread.
No, most people would not be looking at her boob. A horny young bloke would. Who knows if she was being discrete or not, it's a matter of perspective.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No, most people would not be looking at her boob. A horny young bloke would. Who knows if she was being discrete or not, it's a matter of perspective.
Yes this.

As for breast exposure, I always find it amusing when people get so uptight about catching a glance of woman nipple. Like I could wear this really tight fitting, sexy outfit and have cleavage down to there and I wouldn't get the reception I'd get by flashing a nip while BFing my kid.

Amazes me.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
I got the impression that she was being discrete so I guess that the level of her discretion was not clear at all. It sounds like the OP caught a quick glimpse as she was latching and re latching but otherwise she was covered. From my perspective, that is discrete breastfeeding.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes this.

As for breast exposure, I always find it amusing when people get so uptight about catching a glance of woman nipple. Like I could wear this really tight fitting, sexy outfit and have cleavage down to there and I wouldn't get the reception I'd get by flashing a nip while BFing my kid.

Amazes me.
Me to. Remember this outfit? Google Images
People getting uptight over a quick glimpse of a nipple as a mother breastfeeds her child seems pretty silly in comparision.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
The OP asked if it was normal for a woman to bf in front of a dude. In his original question he didn't ask about discrete vs. indiscrete bfing, nor did he mention that she was being indiscrete. I find it surprising that he didn't mention the lack of modesty from the get go, even though he did mention it a few posts later.

If your impression of the situation is accurate and she was letting it "all hang out" or flashing much when she was bfing then she was drawing attention to herself and her boob(s). Guys are gonna notice and react to that. Especially boobologists like AC.

But I didn't get the impression that she was putting herself on display. My impression was that the OP caught some forbidden glimpses because the OP was really checking her out. Most men, I hope, wouldn't stare at a bfing mom like that.

Last edited by springfieldva; 09-20-2011 at 08:04 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Assuming that OP's impression that "breastfeeding in public as not normal in India" is representative of all of India is just as fallacious as assuming that any individual on this thread's perception of whether or not it's normal in America is representative of all of America. We have seen several people say it is normal in America, and several people say it is not normal in America. Just because OP says it is not normal in India does not mean that it isn't. It's just his impression. He does not represent all of India any more than I represent all of America.

Here is a page where people from various countries have written about their experiences nursing in public in their country. Here are a few exerpts from India:

Compared to all other countries, India is a country where you can breastfeed your child in any location. It is a part of culture, highly recommended, supported and easily accepted by people. I have never seen anyone feeding their babies with lot of sophistication and concern. It is pretty common to nurse babies here.

Breastfeeding in public is very common in Kolkata. I have seen many women breastfeeding their babies in buses, trams, trains and other public places. Some of them cover but most of them do not. It is not considered a sexual activity here.

Breastfeeding is common in India. However, it differs from region to region, and person to person. In Meghalaya, breastfeeding is essential and mothers of all ages do it in public without any inhibitions- Be it a family gathering, parties or doing their daily chores. In Mumbai, with the exception of the slum dwellers or the poor, I rarely see mothers breastfeed their babies in public especially if you are from a middle class or higher background; or working and educated mothers. Sadly, mothers have become busier and too sophisticated to breastfeed a baby! This trend follows right back to their homes where breastfeeding is done discreetly, behind closed doors.

Somehow, a new mother's breasts are not sexualised, in fact a feeding mother is respected. No one seems to mind, not even the usually leery men. Especially poorer mothers are quite oblivious to stares. There will be a baby hanging from her nipple and she will be stirring dinner. It is only the upper class westernised women that are a little uncomfortable. They will carry their milk in bottles or cover up and be very discreet. But traditionally, its not a taboo at all.

People still stare at a mother breast feeding. After all breast is considered a sex organ. So the mother is embarrassed to breast feed in public. An uneducated may feed in public if the baby cries, but an educated lady will wait for cover, just to avoid peeping toms. The more educated the lady, she prefers not to breast feed in public. People generally will not miss a chance to look at a bare breast. So topless breast means a lot of on lookere.

Breastfeeding in public in India is very common and people do'nt even pay attention that much. I have a 2 year old son and I am still breastfeeding him and sometimes I had to breastfeed him in park, shoping mall during airtravel and I feel great and never shy as this is a natural way to do it, nature gave us breast to feed our babies so why to shy.

Anyway, there are probably 30 responses on there regarding India. What I gather from that is that in India, just like in the US, there are different norms depending on region and education or economic status.

My opinion? It is normal, generally acceptable, and legal to breastfeed in public in America, though there is still widespread opposition to the practice as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Piping up:

Discreet = prudent, unobtrusive, unnoticeable. Please be discreet with this information.
Discrete = distinct, separate, noncontinuous. The pharmacy is a discrete entity within the hospital.

Now shutting up.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,576 times
But the OP did mention that the woman had a nursing cover, which tells me she was at least trying to be DISCREET about it, otherwise why bother with a nursing cover?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Piping up:

Discreet = prudent, unobtrusive, unnoticeable. Please be discreet with this information.
Discrete = distinct, separate, noncontinuous. The pharmacy is a discrete entity within the hospital.

Now shutting up.
TIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting