Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Perhaps some of these posters do not understand. There is a middle ground. The kid was complaining not only about the potheads and sleaziods, but also about kids who play sports, value relationships, read or do thing that are just fun. At the same time the kid exhibits a wholly condescending attitude that is not well founded. He is not a great thinker becuase even good thinkers know better than to engage in generalizations like that. This is a spoiled snotty punk who has some very nasty surprises coming to him. This kid is at one unhelathy extreme and is criticizing ll others who do not think and act like him and mimic his priorities. However his priorities are just as messed up as the pot heads, materialists, and sleazy kids. However I do not dislike this kid, I pity him. I also pity the children of some of the posters coming in here and name calling. Is that what makes you enjoy life, belittling other people? That is really sad. Life is great and wonderful. If that is where you find your pleasure, you are really missing out on the greatness of our world.

Funny how so many tout Shakespeare who, in his time was considered crass and populist (kind of an old fashioned Britney Spears, only with talent). Snotty scholars of the time looked down on the worthless hooligans who attended and enjoyed his plays. Now our snotty scholars look down on the people who don't.

Shakespeare wrote about life. It is enjoyable to view his perspective, and his writing can be beautifully done, but life is even more beautiful, interesting, and entertaining. Go live it. Sure, it is great to read Shakespeare, but learn to throw a football too. Enjoy the feeling of camaraderie on a crisp fall afternoon. Paddle a canoe, climb a cliff, have a pizza party. go scrub tables at a shelter and sit with a homeless person and learn their life story. Open your mind. Learn to enjoy opera and metal, the artists in both have remarkable talent. Get out of the pab and learn to juggle, smell a flower, eat a leechee nut. unwind and enjoy this fabulous place. You have to strike a balance. Either extreme is equally bad IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
I think opinions are like pinky toes.... everybody has one or two... not always good for anything but there none the less.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
In my area most of the teens are great kids. My daughter's high school has a 97% graduation rate. Just like anywhere we have a few "bad eggs" but most of the issues arise due to boredom. I do agree with the point about music however. The music kids listen to in middle school and high school is awful!!! It's weird that kid's musical tastes do a complete 180 when they get in college. The pop artists that the OP listed are nothing more than the producers of product. They don't care about what they produce as long as it makes money. How about Lady GAGa, Little wayne, and Nicky Minage vs. The Black Keys, Cold War Kids, Iron and Wine and Death Cab For Cutie?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 AM

103 posts, read 102,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
All three of my kids could have written this. They were raised to be educated; they knew Shakespeare and Milton, math, economics, and the sciences, while all around them their peers were partying and drinking and doping, lining up coke (not Pepsi) on the hoods of their cars before they went in to class, starting to have babies before they ever graduated from high school, insisting that the world owed them a living. We did, however, 'expose' them to Harry Potter, Mel Brooks, Monty Python, Scorsese, Herbert and Heinlein, as well as zoos and museums; we even took them to spend a week in Williamsburg to learn about history from a hands-on viewpoint.

My kids are now all responsible adults. Unlike their erstwhile peers, they do not have two or more children from two or more fathers, do not live in a world of emotional Sturm und Drang where passion supercedes reason, where intelligence, effort, and ability are disparaged by people who 'feel'. My children all read and study things with a critical eye, and don't fall for every political or social hype and hyperbole that scrolls across their TVs and iPods. They don't spend money because Oprah tells them to, they don't fall for TV ads telling them what they should buy on sale, right now,or be disparaged. They are happy, healthy, productive, and tough as nails, not home living on Mommy and Daddy's pensions because they can't find a job.

Insult and disparage the OP's quoted teen all you like. Yawn. She's right. And when some of the parents who are still working at 60 to support their own kids into their 30's finally realize it, they will agree too... too late.
And KUDOS on YOUR post, SCGranny!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
All three of my kids could have written this. They were raised to be educated; they knew Shakespeare and Milton, math, economics, and the sciences, while all around them their peers were partying and drinking and doping, lining up coke (not Pepsi) on the hoods of their cars before they went in to class, starting to have babies before they ever graduated from high school, insisting that the world owed them a living. We did, however, 'expose' them to Harry Potter, Mel Brooks, Monty Python, Scorsese, Herbert and Heinlein, as well as zoos and museums; we even took them to spend a week in Williamsburg to learn about history from a hands-on viewpoint.

My kids are now all responsible adults. Unlike their erstwhile peers, they do not have two or more children from two or more fathers, do not live in a world of emotional Sturm und Drang where passion supercedes reason, where intelligence, effort, and ability are disparaged by people who 'feel'. My children all read and study things with a critical eye, and don't fall for every political or social hype and hyperbole that scrolls across their TVs and iPods. They don't spend money because Oprah tells them to, they don't fall for TV ads telling them what they should buy on sale, right now,or be disparaged. They are happy, healthy, productive, and tough as nails, not home living on Mommy and Daddy's pensions because they can't find a job.

Insult and disparage the OP's quoted teen all you like. Yawn. She's right. And when some of the parents who are still working at 60 to support their own kids into their 30's finally realize it, they will agree too... too late.

My cousin (sorry I know I use her as an example a lot but we are very close and she is a great kid) would NEVER lower herself to say such things about other people, her peers.

She doesn't drink, smoke or party. Already a successful student, I'm sure she will continue down the path of success because of her love of learning, her ambition and her intelligence.

But she doesn't have to down others to make herself feel good.

Oh and she certainly isn't the only kid in her class who is a good kid with a good head on her shoulders. It applies to many of the kids in her class. And we are not from a great area.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Quote:

My kids are now all responsible adults. Unlike their erstwhile peers, they do not have two or more children from two or more fathers,
Ok you know what people sometimes are irresponsible and people make mistakes. But you are just as wrong as she is because you are puttin people into a group. You know what???? My mom had me 2 moths before her 16th birthday and my mom now has 2 masters degrees, is a teacher making 80k a year and she's is taking classes for her administration degree. So before you point your finger at anyone you need to know the full story.

do not live in a world of emotional Sturm und Drang where passion supercedes reason, where intelligence, effort, and ability are disparaged by people who 'feel'. My children all read and study things with a critical eye, and don't fall for every political or social hype and hyperbole that scrolls across their TVs and iPods. They don't spend money because Oprah tells them to, they don't fall for TV ads telling them what they should buy on sale, right now,or be disparaged. They are happy, healthy, productive, and tough as nails, not home living on Mommy and Daddy's pensions because they can't find a job.

Alright this is fine but me for example would never lower myself to say something like this about ALL teens as she is saying because I know better than to judge a person based on what they read, what they listen to and what they do. I know Shakespeare, I maintain a 4.0 GPA, I am in AP classes, I play sports, I listen to niki minaj and I am friends with people who pull a 2.5 because they are working to help their families. Bottom line is I think it's wrong for a person to talk about other people before knowing their circumstances honestly judging someone because they have a kid, because of what they listen to or read or do is something a very arrogant person does.

As I said above my mother was a teen mom and aside from what I wrote in the quote; my mom is still wih my dad, not on welfare or section 8, they own 2 houses, 2 cars (soon to be three) and are on time with every payment they make.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Alright this is fine but me for example would never lower myself to say something like this about ALL teens as she is saying because I know better than to judge a person based on what they read, what they listen to and what they do. I know Shakespeare, I maintain a 4.0 GPA, I am in AP classes, I play sports, I listen to niki minaj and I am friends with people who pull a 2.5 because they are working to help their families. Bottom line is I think it's wrong for a person to talk about other people before knowing their circumstances honestly judging someone because they have a kid, because of what they listen to or read or do is something a very arrogant person does.
You sound like a well-rounded person with a good head on her (did I get that right?) shoulders!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:06 AM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
You sound like a well-rounded person with a good head on her (did I get that right?) shoulders!
You did! Lol. And thank you it just annoys me when people automatically think that because you've made a few mistakes in your life or your head isn't in a book 22 hours a day you're a failure. I mean that's kind of what I got from that post.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
You did! Lol. And thank you it just annoys me when people automatically think that because you've made a few mistakes in your life or your head isn't in a book 22 hours a day you're a failure. I mean that's kind of what I got from that post.
You're welcome!

I hear you - it's a pet peeve of mine, too. And a habit some people carry into adulthood (not sure if you're following some of the other threads in Parenting but there are some examples of adults judging anyone different from them really harshly). IME, the people who are all judge-y tend to be not very happy in general. Although, maybe the poster was just having a bad day, one never knows.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:30 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Yes, yes. I took that away as well though I couldn't my finger on it until you put it into words.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting