Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
First of all, those "friends" aren't always who they say they are. Secondly, they know which stores your daughter shops in and they even know what car she's driving. Why? Because she's posted all of that on FB
All of the friends on their accounts are students from their school, kids they know from activities, etc. They don't have people on their facebook they don't know personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
First of all, those "friends" aren't always who they say they are. Secondly, they know which stores your daughter shops in and they even know what car she's driving. Why? Because she's posted all of that on FB
And, again, we would have to have someone out there that is "out to get" my DD to start with.

People spend WAY too much time with the "what if's". The what-if's are just not going to happen. They are a product of your imagination and nothing more. Like I said earlier, we have 3 teens that have been on facebook for over 5 years and have NEVER had an issue, nor have ANY of their friends. I am sure there are stupid kids out there that do friend anyone and everyone and put themselves in potential danger, but most do not.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 AM

I just checked DD's facbook-the last time she posted anything was on Saturday at 12;30pm...our younger DS last posted something on Sept 13th, and our older son late last night...yeah, I'm worried about a potential stalking tracking them down...

Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Good point. But I'll bet you didn't have so many "friends" for them to get to know, either .
Sure. But they demanded to meet anyone who I hung out with in person. They didn't much care about my penpals, etc.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
All of the friends on their accounts are students from their school, kids they know from activities, etc. They don't have people on their facebook they don't know personally.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, golfgal - but how could your child possibly *personally* know 1280 people? She may know of them. She may have even very briefly met all of these kids - sat in the same class, etc.

But she probably has not personally met all of these kids' parents and, yet, some of those parents may very well have visited your daughter's FB page, posted comments, whatever. As nice and as well meaning as these people may be, they are still strangers...

Old 09-27-2011, 10:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
If a parent knows about FaceBook, and does not guide her children on how to use it safely, whose fault is that? It's like a parent refusing to have electricity or running water, because she can't instruct or advise her unruly, incorrigible, ineducable children about the dangers of electrocution or drowning.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, golfgal - but how could your child possibly *personally* know 1280 people? She may know of them. She may have even very briefly met all of these kids - sat in the same class, etc.

But she probably has not personally met all of these kids' parents and, yet, some of those parents may very well have visited your daughter's FB page, posted comments, whatever. As nice and as well meaning as these people may be, they are still strangers...
First, the 1280 number was just a random number thrown out there. I looked it up and she has 811 friends on facebook right now. Yes, some of them are people she has "met" through other friends and not all of them are 'close' friends by any means (she has the cousins of a few friends on there that she does things with when they come to visit for example). It's pretty easy for a high school kid to have that many friends that they know. There are 185 kids in their marching band, over the past 3 years, roughly 50 or so kids graduating each year and 50 or so new kids joining each year-she knows all of these kids VERY well. Her golf team over the past 5 years accounts for probably another 100 kids through the years, including the kids from the other teams that she has gotten to know over the years, Kids from church that go to different schools that she goes to religion classes with-another probably 20 or 30 kids. Then, we moved when she was in 6th grade from a town where she knew everyone in her class, so another 60 kids there plus all of the kids from the other classes she knew, add another 150 kids or so there.....that is getting close to 700 kids even without her CURRENT classmates. She has a few parents of friends on her list, add in a few relatives, etc. and it is very easy to know 800 kids.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:

Who cares?!

Kids interact with strangers so much in their lives. Teachers they will never have at school are strangers and will remain that way. PTO parents and others that kids will have daily interaction with but never truly "know".

I agree with golfgal. You are putting too much emphasis on minutiae.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If a parent knows about FaceBook, and does not guide her children on how to use it safely, whose fault is that? It's like a parent refusing to have electricity or running water, because she can't instruct or advise her unruly, incorrigible, ineducable children about the dangers of electrocution or drowning.
Yes. I do think that being aware of the potential dangers and safeguarding your kids is important. I'm not anti FB at all - it serves a useful purpose. But I do see the need for some caution with regards to what exactly is being shared.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Who cares?!

Kids interact with strangers so much in their lives. Teachers they will never have at school are strangers and will remain that way. PTO parents and others that kids will have daily interaction with but never truly "know".

I agree with golfgal. You are putting too much emphasis on minutiae.
That's true. But when my kids talk to a random teacher or a volunteer helping out in the school, there are plenty of other people around. Plus, my kids can actually see who they are talking to. And the person they are talking to is accountable for what they say to my kid.

On FB, your child might think she is talking to Suzy but she might actually be talking to Suzy's mom or (?). Maybe that's a big deal and maybe it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting