Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 AM

278 posts, read 1,108,934 times

Advertisements

Just wondering...the summer after next will be our child's first summer after kindergarten. Both mom and dad work, so I'm wondering what we will do during the summer. What do you do? day camps? gma and gpa's house? something else.

Just wondering how folks handle child care during the summer.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:25 AM

572 posts, read 1,298,790 times
Most of my friends with school aged kids put them in summer programs at the YMCA or places like Discovery Kids. There are tons of summer camps for working parents.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
For the first time with any of my kids I worked part time this past summer, my youngest is 8. I put him in summer camp for 4 weeks, and hired a local babysitter for the rest of the summer when my oldest kids couldn't babysit. I won't make any money working during the summers, but to keep my job I have to do it.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Just wondering...the summer after next will be our child's first summer after kindergarten. Both mom and dad work, so I'm wondering what we will do during the summer. What do you do? day camps? gma and gpa's house? something else.

Just wondering how folks handle child care during the summer.
Thanks!
My DD is in 1st grade. She is still going to the day care she started going to when she was 6 weeks old. Now it is just before and after school care. During the summer it becomes full day care again. They go on at least one field trip per week and have a lot of fun. It might be worth checking out some of the local day cares and see what they offer for summer programs. I never have to worry about a gap in service.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
I'm not working... yet, but I am thinking ahead to next summer. We have summer programs through the rec centers, and the before and after school care program at the school becomes a day camp in the summer.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,585 times
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I'm soooo not looking forward to this summer!

The daycare my son goes to (before & after care + kindergarten enrichment) offers a summer program similar to what another poster mentioned. I may go that route or I may look into a day camp in the area. One thing to keep in mind if you chose day camp, most places start registration in february so don't leave it until the last minute or you may not get a spot. Also, day camp is usually pricier than day care, so be prepared for that.

You could also try grandma and grandpa for the summer if that's an option for you.

Or you can find a stay at home mom who has a child your child is friends with, they might be willing to make a little extra money and as a bonus have their child entertained as well. I would only do this if the kids already get along, or at the least don't have bad blood, other wise your kid is going to be miserable. Be prepared to allow your child to go places with this person (errands and day trips) and make sure you understand the mothers plans for the summer. Are they vacationing a certain week and you will need other arrangements? Do they go to the pool/beach every week? does your kid know how to swim? Are they going on a lot of day trips? Can you afford those day trips? etc.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Also, day camp is usually pricier than day care, so be prepared for that.
It is usually the opposite around here. Daycare costs are astronomical, I could never afford it. And the local YMCA wants over $300 a week just for after-school care, no bargains in the summer, either. The schools don't offer childcare, ever. This is one of the reasons I was a SAHM for 20 years, I couldn't afford to work.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It is usually the opposite around here. Daycare costs are astronomical, I could never afford it. And the local YMCA wants over $300 a week just for after-school care, no bargains there, either. This is one of the reasons I was a SAHM for 20 years, I couldn't afford to work.
In my area the day care costs are very high as well (most i've paid is $420 a week and cheapest was $195) but the day camp costs are just insane, easily 1.5X's daycare! I'm really not looking forward to it this summer

Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 AM

356 posts, read 916,601 times
Camps. 1 week family vacation, 1 week visiting grandma.

Summer after Kindergarten, DD did 1 month at daycare camp and then a week each at several specialty camps (science, art, dance).

Summer after 1st grade, she did 2 weeks at daycare camp, 2 weeks at a private school traditional day camp with daily swimming, and a week each at several specialty camps.

I'm pushing for her to do more weeks of the private school camp and fewer weeks of specialty camp next summer.

The teachers at her school offer several week-long 1/2 day camps and I let her pick 1 of those each summer to stay in touch with school and school friends. That week is a pain though because we either have to work 1/2 day from home, bring her to the office for the afternoon or take 1/2 day off.

Definitely more expensive than daycare. My son's daycare is $500/ month (preK). The cheapest camp for us is the daycare camp and it's $200/week. Most of the camps are $300-$350/ week (for the speciality camps this is usually camp+aftercare). I have no idea how we will swing it in 2 summers when both kids will be in elementary school.

Last edited by Scientist Mom; 09-26-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 PM

278 posts, read 1,108,934 times
Daycare is a bear!...we pay 200 a week per child. I'm pretty sure I could buy a Ferrari for the amount we pay. Thanks for the ideas.

I can sure chalk daycare up as one of those things i did not think about before we had kids!

Do your kids feel like they miss anything by not being able to stay home? or are they having fun in camps and such? I think a summer vacation will be in order!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting