Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
YOu misunderstand the topic. I'm not just talking about ME, I'm talking about the possiblity of 90% if not more of ALL Men coming home like the 1950's when the majority of women stayed at the house.

I wanna venture the possibilities of that. I know my one family can't make a difference but if milliions of families do it, then maybe.

what do you think? can it work?
I don't know how we can debate the topic of ALL men staying home any more than we could discuss how ALL women could stay home. It's not feasible for either sex in this day and age. It's not an all or nothing proposition.

Each individual family must make their own choice and thus 'make a difference' (though I'm not sure how) one family at a time.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 AM

616 posts, read 854,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
WWII. All the men were gone. ALL the men. Women took over all the "traditional" male jobs so it certainly can work. Women built airplanes, ran the stores, worked in factories, ran a punch press, slaughtered pigs, fixed cars, taught in universities.

(It was the men who came home and kicked the women back into the kitchen so you can only blame your own, lol.)
Not quite the same. and a LOT of Men stayed behind and were still carrying the financial load of the home. Mothers still claimed the spot of SAHM. they didn't jump into the workforce like you claim.

All the coalminers, construction workers, doctors, shipbuilders, road workers, railroad builders, etc were still mostly Men during WWII, so that's a bad anology put forth.

what I'm speaking has never been done before in history I don't think.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:20 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
WWII. All the men were gone. ALL the men. Women took over all the "traditional" male jobs so it certainly can work. Women built airplanes, ran the stores, worked in factories, ran a punch press, slaughtered pigs, fixed cars, taught in universities.

(It was the men who came home and kicked the women back into the kitchen so you can only blame your own, lol.)
Ha! You beat me to it, Dew - I was just going to bring this up.

I know more SAHDs now than I knew of when I was a kid - it could very well be that over time that even more families will decide to have one income earner (the higher earning potential one) regardless of gender. To the OP: I think societal shifts come to pass less from a concerted effort at starting a movement and more from individual families having the option to make these types of decisions and making choices in their own economic/social best interest, if that makes sense. I agree with other posters who have noted that I'm not sure it's desirable for one gender to be tied to the home and one to the workplace, regardless of which gender we're talking about.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't know how we can debate the topic of ALL men staying home any more than we could discuss how ALL women could stay home. It's not feasible for either sex in this day and age. It's not an all or nothing proposition.

Each individual family must make their own choice and thus 'make a difference' (though I'm not sure how) one family at a time.
Anything is possible. and feasible. and nobody said "all or nothing"

but oddly, it is "all or nothing" when it comes to Men being the breadwinners. but why not SAHD's?. Women have shown that they can do any job a Man can throughout the centuries.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
what I'm speaking has never been done before in history I don't think.
Because you can't keep men barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Because you can't keep men barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen.
Aw, c'mon - we can keep 'em barefoot and in the kitchen, at least!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
but oddly, it is "all or nothing" when it comes to Men being the breadwinners. but why not SAHD's?. Women have shown that they can do any job a Man can throughout the centuries.
I'm not sure that this is true anymore. While many men do work full-time, many women do, too - I wonder what the stats are on whose income is the primary source in dual-income households. I will agree that SAHDs are not as common as SAHMs, but in general SAHParents aren't necessarily the majority anymore. *leaving thread to dig up stats*

Old 09-28-2011, 11:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Not quite the same. and a LOT of Men stayed behind and were still carrying the financial load of the home.
Total BUNK on men carrying the financial load during WWII. Servicemen sent home what they could but most families relied on the paycheck the woman brought home to keep starvation at bay.

(The women in my family sent money TO the men overseas so they'd have extra cash.)

Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Oh, my girlfriend and her husband did this when she got a big promotion - VP of something or other.

He was a macho kinda guy; very athletic and active; funny; and could never be still for more than a second.

I was totally shocked when he quit working. But, it has worked out for them. He loved volunteering at his daugher's schools; and they loved him because he is so loud and funny. Mom was much more reserved and introverted.

He also teaches some type of cycling classes and he love this; now he has the time to do it.

I'm not sure how much he loves cooking and cleaning; but he does it and does not hire 'help' because he (his words) has to keep busy during the day. He's Type A and sees that as his job - so, of course, wants to do it well.

I'm not thinking it could work for everyone - but it sure worked out for them. They travel; have a vacation home; things that just could not have been done on his salary.

Plus, it gave her the freedom to travel and rise through the ranks - knowing that she had someone there to pick up the kids daily; make sure they are fed, etc.

Good Luck!
It's a start.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I'm not sure that this is true anymore. While many men do work full-time, many women do, too - I wonder what the stats are on whose income is the primary source in dual-income households. I will agree that SAHDs are not as common as SAHMs, but in general SAHParents aren't necessarily the majority anymore. *leaving thread to dig up stats*
but the perception is there and auto-understood that the Man go gets the breadd.

Hunter Gatherer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting