Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:11 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
An Italian couple have sought legal help to persuade their 41-year-old son to fly the nest, Italian media reported.
The Venetian parents, who have not been named, say their son has a job but refuses to leave home and wants his clothes washed and his meals prepared.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14995588
I know it's Italy and all, but 41 years old and living at home... I'm 16 years younger than him and there's no way I could cope living at home again - anyone know any parents who'd let this go on so long or who'd call in the lawyers to get their child to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times
I'm pretty sure that in traditional Italian culture it is typical for the men to continue to live with their parents until they are married and the mothers continue to take care of their sons (laundry, meals, etc.) So while I'm sure they'd hoped he be married by 41 I don't think it's all that unusual.

I could be wrong though...

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
It's sort of sad to see Italy becoming Americanized. I liked that there were still foreign cultures with multiple generation households.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's sort of sad to see Italy becoming Americanized. I liked that there were still foreign cultures with multiple generation households.
You're joking? You think it is a good thing that a 41 year old man be able to live with his parents against their will and get them to do his domestic chores? Of course if someone

"...demand[ed} that his clothes be washed and ironed and his meals prepared. He really has no intention of leaving."

Of me, I would tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine.

My elderly parents, in-laws, aunts and uncles are all going to be welcome in my home rather than a nursing home. But the above is ridiculous.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say it was a case of them being Americanised, just a case of somebody old enough to know better abusing his parents' hospitality and them allowing it for too long. As far as I am aware the average age for an Italian to leave home is actually rising with the economic crisis hitting hard over there. And what kind of adult would insist on staying somewhere where he was no longer wanted as if it was his right?

Last edited by ben86; 09-21-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 02:32 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times
[quote=ben86;20974225]I wouldn't say it was a case of them being Americanised, just a case of somebody old enough to know better abusing his parents' hospitality and them allowing it for too long. As far as I am aware the average age for an Italian to leave home is actually rising with the economic crisis hitting hard over there. And what kind of adult would insist on staying somewhere where he was no longer wanted as if it was his right?[/quote]

My mother in law pulls that cr@p all the time!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You're joking? You think it is a good thing that a 41 year old man be able to live with his parents against their will and get them to do his domestic chores? Of course if someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I wouldn't say it was a case of them being Americanised, just a case of somebody old enough to know better abusing his parents' hospitality and them allowing it for too long. As far as I am aware the average age for an Italian to leave home is actually rising with the economic crisis hitting hard over there.
In Italy, the norm is for many generations to live under the same roof, married or unmarried. It's even more common for middle aged men to remain in their parents' homes if they dont' marry. I just think it's a shame that the traditional style of living is changing to being more Americanized. Then again, maybe this article is about an isolated incident---one family bucking the norm. That's more likely, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
And what kind of adult would insist on staying somewhere where he was no longer wanted as if it was his right?
I'm not talking about the adult son. I'm talking about the parents' mentality shifting away from Italian tradition of multigenerational households. Interestingly, multigenerational households are on the rise in the US.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
In Italy, the norm is for many generations to live under the same roof, married or unmarried. It's even more common for middle aged men to remain in their parents' homes if they dont' marry. I just think it's a shame that the traditional style of living is changing to being more Americanized. Then again, maybe this article is about an isolated incident---one family bucking the norm. That's more likely, actually.

I'm not talking about the adult son. I'm talking about the parents' mentality shifting away from Italian tradition of multigenerational households. Interestingly, multigenerational households are on the rise in the US.
Probably better for the freeloading son in the long run. I don't value any tradition, no matter how long standing, that allows someone to demand someone else take care of their domestic chores. Not all change is bad. Not sure what this has to do with being Americanized.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:45 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the parents' mentality shifting away from Italian tradition of multigenerational households.
Might be less about the parents being against tradition and more about the parents unwillingness to be treated like servants in their own home. I suspect if the 41 year old son was respectful, helpful and loving to his parents, they would be happy to uphold the traditional way.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
If my parents lived in Venice I could see myself refusing to move out. Though I'd know a good thing when I saw it and not be a jerk about the laundry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting