Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 AM

158 posts, read 332,407 times

Advertisements

I am acquainted with a family nearby who told me that their niece was living with her aunt and uncle for 8 years, and she finally escapted at the end of August.

They used the word "escape" because this young woman, she is 21 years old now, had gone to live with them because her aunt could not have children, but they kept such control over her that she did not have any contact with family members e.g. mother, father, sibling, aunt, uncles and cousins. If they attempted calling, they would either get a recording, the aunt with some lame excuse, or the child would take the call with the aunt on the extension

In 10th grade, she was taken out of school to be home schooled supposedly, but the truth of the matter was that these old farts were running a puppy mill business and they wanted the extra hands on board.

The kid never had friends, was not allowed to go out, to speak on the phone, to attend church, the library, a movie, the hair dresser, or even to speak with neighbours. They live in a rural area of Washington State.

She is 21 and cannot drive, never held a job outside the home, does not have her passport, SS card, school documents etc. She also had no money. They kept these things hidden from her so she would not have an identity should she leave. The uncle is a big shot at one of Washington's Police departments (shocking!). He's not a policeman.

The aunt was the main abuser who would tell her that if she left she had no one, no place to go, no money, and would end up on the streets as a prostitute

The young woman is safe now with family, but I am wondering if there isn't anything she could about these people???? Isn't it against the law to hold someone like that and deprive them of their freedom after age 18???

She was bullied, made to feel insignificant, told she was fat, ugly, stupid and had no future. I have kids and cannot imagine being that cruel to another human being.

The family is confused about what they can and can't do to the aunt and uncle for what has happened. Everyone lives in different states though. Only one person lives in Washington and she's too ill to take action. She has breast cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Was she being physically detained? No. She was free at any time to walk away, go to a shelter or county offices, acquire her birth certificate from the state, get a SS card and a passport, apply for benefits, get job training and have a life. There is no shortage of people whose job is to help young unsupported adults get on their feet.

This is a weird story for sure, but probably not exceedingly rare in some rural, uneducated parts of the country.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Is this a Lifetime movie plot?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Her parents didn't do anything....in 8 YEARS??

Yes, there is something she can do, go to the FBI and report the abuse....

Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,456 times
Bizarre indeed. If somebody had my child for 8 years without allowing me access, I would be there, beating down the door, I would go through the courts to get her back, I would do whatever I had to. I wouldn't, however, sit by and then after she manages to escape herself, wonder what I could do after the fact. Is there something wrong with the parents, some physical or mental reason why they were unable to help their daughter when she was still a child?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I'm more shocked her parents didn't do anything for 8 years. I don't care if the uncle is high up in the police department. That's why we have state police and the FBI.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 AM

I think we are getting only one side of a multifacteted tale.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Some parts where the story falls apart even in THE OP's telling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
They used the word "escape" because this young woman, she is 21 years old now, had gone to live with them because her aunt could not have children,
Really? Parents "gave" their 13 year old child to relatives because those relatives were infertile? I have my doubts. Didn't you question this version of events, even in your own mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
but they kept such control over her that she did not have any contact with family members e.g. mother, father, sibling, aunt, uncles and cousins. If they attempted calling, they would either get a recording, the aunt with some lame excuse, or the child would take the call with the aunt on the extension
So...there was no contact...except when there was contact?

Quote:
In 10th grade, she was taken out of school to be home schooled supposedly, but the truth of the matter was that these old farts were running a puppy mill business and they wanted the extra hands on board.
Really? the truth of the matter? Whose truth?

Quote:
The kid never had friends, was not allowed to go out, to speak on the phone, to attend church, the library, a movie, the hair dresser, or even to speak with neighbours. They live in a rural area of Washington State.
But...you indicated the child was enrolled in public school until the age of 16. How is that likened to "never going out?" And didn't you already say she talked on the phone to family members, albeit with the aunt listening in on the extension?

Quote:
She is 21 and cannot drive, never held a job outside the home, does not have her passport, SS card, school documents etc. She also had no money.
Her parents would have her birth certificate and SS number as well as school documents. So to say she would have no identity is highly dramaticized and grossly inaccurate. Did you not question this element of the story either?

Quote:
The aunt was the main abuser who would tell her that if she left she had no one, no place to go, no money, and would end up on the streets as a prostitute
Whose version of events is this? Because of course the young woman would know that she had someone-- HER PARENTS with whom she often conversed on the phone.

Quote:
The family is confused about what they can and can't do to the aunt and uncle for what has happened. Everyone lives in different states though. Only one person lives in Washington and she's too ill to take action. She has breast cancer.
Wow that was quite the non-sequiter! But absolutely pitiful, like the rest of this story.

Something tells me that a certain family with a sad tale is taking you for an emotional (or perhaps financial) ride. Have you been asked to provide money or favours to help ameliorate this "tragic situation"?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM

158 posts, read 332,407 times
I know the story sounds weird, and I didn't go into enough details I suppose. It was late, I was tired and everything was spinning in my head.

First of, NO, I have not been asked to help financially.

Her father was deported about 10 years ago.

Her mother is a drug/alcohol abuser. She had done some fraud stuff, and the aunt knew of this, so they held it over her head. Give up rights to the child or else.

In the beginning, there were attempts to have phone, email, letters etc. contact. At first she was allowed to talk, but always monitored and it was more like speaking to a robot from what I was told.

Letters were unanswered, and the same for emails.

This worked beautifully because then the aunt could say "no one cares, or they would write."

Zentropa, it might sound like she had options but in her mind she did not. Father out of the country and cannot return for another 10 years or more. Can't remember details. He was deported and restricted to be out of the country for 20.

The mother attempted to call, but they were blackmailing her knowing her "past" unlawful dealings, and since she's apparently isn't well educated, she was afraid. Plus I heard she's really not a nice person and very selfish.

If you are a kid living on 26 acres in the boonies in Washington, never hearing from anyone (after the first couple of attempts to call you didn't work out), plus you're being told everyone hates you, wouldn't you give up inside?

It sounded more like the Stockholm syndrome to me. Believe me when I say that I asked lots of questions like you did!

Thankfully, she found a copy of her birth certificate. Every other type of identification was kept hidden so she would not be able to leave. She was told for 8 years that if she attempted to leave, no one would believe her, and she had no where to go. I don't understand why you can't put yourself in a younger person's shoes and see that it is quite possible that she was brainwashed and believed all these things.

Her courage came when they were away and she had access to the internet. She found Yahoo where you can ask questions and she posted about her situation. She told them that she was scared to leave because she had no idea where to begin, where to go, who to turn to. They told her to leave. Seek out a shelter. Call the police. But leave!

Also, initially she was enrolled in school and then in the 10th grade, she was taken out. While in school, she was not allowed to join clubs, take part in field trips, talk to anyone. Seriously, they told me the aunt would call the school saying she was unstable, bi polar and had to be watched. I can't understand a teacher not wondering about this, but again, in the boonies out there in Washington state, who knows how those people think.

They do have a big puppy mill business (aunt), and she spent most of her time being the dog's caretaker. I have kids and I am deeply saddened to think this happened to a child for so long.

By the way, the family here could not take her in 8 years ago because her mother lives close to them and would have made their lives miserable, and also they have an autistic son with health problems so their hands were full at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting