Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM

616 posts, read 850,506 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on this, guys? I hear that there are a LOT of SAHD's out there but I've never met or known one in my entire life and would like to get your perspective. please.

I have one kid and would love the idea of making that move to be at home all day everyday. I talked to my buddies and they would love to make that jump too, but without a full dedicated workforce of women to hold it down for the economy,
I don't think it's possible but I'm a dreamer.

do you guys out there think it's possible and if so, how can we do it and not upset the economic balance of our society.??

I"m all ears. and no this is not a sarcastic topic. it's a real one. so let's discuss it. feesible or not. let's hear the possiblities. the industries that will sustain the economy that women can work and so on....

dream with me gentlemen

I wanna hear from the guys mostly if I can,
but women can chime in too, just play nice.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,155,697 times
My DH and I switched roles from the time the kids were born. I probably stayed home more than he did, but our situation is unique. We had great opportunities to be able to stay home, taking turns.

I think SAHDs bring different sets of tools and experiences to the table and that its a good thing for children.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,121,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
What are your thoughts on this, guys? I hear that there are a LOT of SAHD's out there but I've never met or known one in my entire life and would like to get your perspective. please.

I have one kid and would love the idea of making that move to be at home all day everyday. I talked to my buddies and they would love to make that jump too, but without a full dedicated workforce of women to hold it down for the economy,
Your family is not responsible for the entire economy. This a full dedicated workforce of women is not required. All you need is a wife who can provide for YOUR family and the will to make it so.

Each family has to address the needs of their family. When each family does that, the aggregation then defines "society".

Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My DH and I switched roles from the time the kids were born. I probably stayed home more than he did, but our situation is unique. We had great opportunities to be able to stay home, taking turns.

I think SAHDs bring different sets of tools and experiences to the table and that its a good thing for children.
I'm agreeing with this. keep talking. I'm listening.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Your family is not responsible for the entire economy. This a full dedicated workforce of women is not required. All you need is a wife who can provide for YOUR family and the will to make it so.

Each family has to address the needs of their family. When each family does that, the aggregation then defines "society".
YOu misunderstand the topic. I'm not just talking about ME, I'm talking about the possiblity of 90% if not more of ALL Men coming home like the 1950's when the majority of women stayed at the house.

I wanna venture the possibilities of that. I know my one family can't make a difference but if milliions of families do it, then maybe.

what do you think? can it work?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,373,123 times
Oh, my girlfriend and her husband did this when she got a big promotion - VP of something or other.

He was a macho kinda guy; very athletic and active; funny; and could never be still for more than a second.

I was totally shocked when he quit working. But, it has worked out for them. He loved volunteering at his daugher's schools; and they loved him because he is so loud and funny. Mom was much more reserved and introverted.

He also teaches some type of cycling classes and he love this; now he has the time to do it.

I'm not sure how much he loves cooking and cleaning; but he does it and does not hire 'help' because he (his words) has to keep busy during the day. He's Type A and sees that as his job - so, of course, wants to do it well.

I'm not thinking it could work for everyone - but it sure worked out for them. They travel; have a vacation home; things that just could not have been done on his salary.

Plus, it gave her the freedom to travel and rise through the ranks - knowing that she had someone there to pick up the kids daily; make sure they are fed, etc.

Good Luck!

14,294 posts, read 13,121,999 times
Quote:
YOu misunderstand the topic. I'm not just talking about ME, I'm talking about the possiblity of 90% if not more of ALL Men coming home like the 1950's when the majority of women stayed at the house.

I wanna venture the possibilities of that. I know my one family can't make a difference but if milliions of families do it, then maybe.

Don't know. I am not sure why anyone would pursue making that work. What is good for the individual family is what ought motivate that choice, in my opinion.

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
I have know many SAHDs. One was one of the nation's first male girl scout leaders. He had to fight for that right. They're wonderful parents. They're spouses love it. They're much better at multitasking. The house is clean, the food is cooked, the laundry is done and the children are happy because they are doing fun things like boating, fishing, hiking, etc. If you can afford to do it and your wives are completely happy being sole bread winners, I say go for it!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,991,174 times
Quote:

WWII. All the men of the traditional "working age" were gone. ALL the men. Women took over all the "traditional" male jobs so it certainly can work. Women built airplanes, ran the stores, worked in factories, ran a punch press, slaughtered pigs, fixed cars, taught in universities.

(It was the men who came home and kicked the women back into the kitchen so you can only blame your own, lol.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-28-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Don't know. I am not sure why anyone would pursue making that work. What is good for the individual family is what ought motivate that choice, in my opinion.
why not?

As Americans we pursued space travel and that ended up working and it wasn't the doing of just one individual, but a whole mess of people nationwide.

We can do anything if we ALL put our minds to it. we're Americans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting