Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times

Advertisements

We're in Bama. Our kids have few non related "Aunts and Uncles", but that is reserved for the closest of friends to the family. Other than that, everyone else is "Mister John" or "Miss Katie". I like it, it gives respect without being too formal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 12:10 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Here is another thread on this subject.

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...kids-what.html

What I got out of that thread is that it is mostly a regional thing.
Agreed. Here, the kids use first names. My own DD said 'Tim ate lunch w/ us today', instead of 'so & so's Dad'. I don't care what kids call me, as long as it's Bella/Lucas's Mom/Mommy, or my name. For ME, Mrs. 'my last name' makes me feel 'old'. lol

Aunt & Uncle are reserved for blood & our closest friends, who are like blood. I consider aunt & uncle terms of respect for those we are closest to. =)

My kids have a Grandma, a Grandpa, a Nanny, a Pop pop, a Granddad, a Mimi, 2 Great Granddads, a Great Nanny, & a Great Grammy Alberta. Some step, most blood. They also call our friends they call aunt & uncle's parents Grammy & Grampy so & so. Along w/ hubby & my Mom's friends as well. =) One doesn't have grandkids of her own & loves ours like hers. =*)

Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
We're in Bama. Our kids have few non related "Aunts and Uncles", but that is reserved for the closest of friends to the family. Other than that, everyone else is "Mister John" or "Miss Katie". I like it, it gives respect without being too formal.
That is a great idea. I might just insist on Mrs. Laura. =) Just to keep respect. FWIW, respect is a huge deal for me. I want my kids to respect all. Not like alot of these jackhole kids I want to smack today. lol

Old 10-02-2011, 05:06 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Hearing Mrs. FC is a reminder that I am adult and should conduct myself as one. When children refer to me by my first name, it blurs the lines both for them and for me. It's a two-way street.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:40 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Hearing Mrs. FC is a reminder that I am adult and should conduct myself as one. When children refer to me by my first name, it blurs the lines both for them and for me. It's a two-way street.
Absolutely. I'm reminded of the leader of a parenting class that we took years ago who responded to a parent's lament when her kids' friends called her Mrs. Surname, "That makes me feel so old!" He replied, "You ARE old. There's no stigma about that."

Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Absolutely. I'm reminded of the leader of a parenting class that we took years ago who responded to a parent's lament when her kids' friends called her Mrs. Surname, "That makes me feel so old!" He replied, "You ARE old. There's no stigma about that."
I absolutely agree. It does draw a distinction, and sets a tone for how the child is a child, and the adult is the adult. I agree that respect and borders are certainly attainable without the Mr./Mrs. titles, but they are just a usefull tool to facilitate respect and behavioral expectations.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I insisted my kids called my friends "auntie Jane", "auntie Cathy" etc., until they were old enough (elder teenagers), to call them by their first names. My friend's kids called me "auntie(first name)

BTW, when I get called Mrs(last name), it makes me feel very old, I feel it is WAY too old fasioned, and I will tell the child that my name is ...(first name) All my kid's friends call me by my first name now that they are young adults.

We have friends who are from the south (Carolina). Their boys were raised in a military family and they call me ma'am. No matter how many times I tell them to call me by my first name, they just can't/won't do it. I accept it, but it still bothers me that they don't feel comfortable accepting that although I am older than they are, I am a friend and equal, not someone they need to put a title on. Respect is won by actions, not words/names, IMO.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM

231 posts, read 390,576 times
My parents taught is to call anyone older than us either Mr., Mrs., Ma'am or Sir. My mother had a very proper Southern upbringing, and we were never to address an adult by their first name. Many times the adult in question would say 'please call me Ann or Joe, etc' We then were allowed to call them Ms. Ann or Mr. Joe.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Everybody has a first name, whether you are 3 or 93, it is sufficient to use a first name.
I don't see any reason not to.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Where we live, every single kid calls every single parent by their first name. Same can be said for the majority of teachers, coaches, etc. Even the our school's principal is referred to by their first name. Surprisingly, kids seem to respect the adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting