Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 AM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I've come to the conlusion that at my kids' school, the reason very few dads get involved with the PTA is because the PTA is typically a collection of clicky gossiping mothers, with different clicks backstabbing and talking behind the backs of mothers not in their little click. Its sometimes as juvenile as a group of middle schoolers. And I'm sure this is commonplace among PTAs.
Oh, it is. I tried a few times over the years to get involved with the PTA, but it was run by the same group of women who complained about other parents not being involved, but when other parents showed up, neither would they relinquish their position of power and let anyone else do anything. I tried again when my daughter hit high school. They asked for people to sign up for different upcoming activities, so I signed up for the committee for Cultural Week. We had to fill out a paper with our ideas for activities, and then there would be a meeting in the future to discuss it. Well, there was never any meeting. The same old group decided on their own to do the same old things they always did every year, which basically centered around highlighting the talents of one of the more artistic mothers in the clique, and the only time I heard from them was an email assigning me to come in and do cleanup after their chosen activity.

One time, I took the day off from work to participate in a school activity in my daughter's class, and some of these PTA moms invited me to go to lunch with them afterwards. The entire lunch conversation was about the personal lives of the teachers at school. I don't even know how they knew all this stuff about faculty members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I get so irritated over these things!

People really need to grow up. Life isn't fair. Get a helmet. If you want your kids to have a mom and a dad, provide them - make better decisions BEFORE procreating - parenting starts before conception, IMO.
I get irritated over people who are very lucky and yet do not show compassion for others.

I have three half sibling I have had custody of since they were 2, 8 and 10, when their parents were killed in a car accident that was not their fault. Their parents did make "better decisions and provided for them" but that does not remotely mean that the unforeseeable does not happen.

MANY children have no fathers or mothers through no fault of anyone. Changing the name of the day is a small thing to do for children who lost more than you or yours can possibly imagine. I know, when my brother started school in my town he was 8, they had "Bring Dad to School" day a month later. The entire school changed the name to "Bring Someone you Love to School" because they were kind and compassionate towards a little boy who was still suffering.

So now he only had to deal with his loss and not the additional pain of not being able to participate but your "irritation" with changing the name is obviously more important than the suffering of others. I am grateful you and your very LUCKY family do not live in our town.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I get irritated over people who are very lucky and yet do not show compassion for others.

I have three half sibling I have had custody of since they were 2, 8 and 10, when their parents were killed in a car accident that was not their fault. Their parents did make "better decisions and provided for them" but that does not remotely mean that the unforeseeable does not happen.

MANY children have no fathers or mothers through no fault of anyone. Changing the name of the day is a small thing to do for children who lost more than you or yours can possibly imagine. I know, when my brother started school in my town he was 8, they had "Bring Dad to School" day a month later. The entire school changed the name to "Bring Someone you Love to School" because they were kind and compassionate towards a little boy who was still suffering.

So now he only had to deal with his loss and not the additional pain of not being able to participate but your "irritation" with changing the name is obviously more important than the suffering of others. I am grateful you and your very LUCKY family do not live in our town.
Not that you'd wish bad on anyone, but usually sooner or later these high-horse types who have all the answers and who have been spared life's knockdowns get a taste of what real life is like.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,627,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
But that's a real hit to a kid's ego/spirit, especially if they're dad is either completely absent dad or if he's incarcerated or whatever. Not all kids have "father figures" in their lives.
They should. This encourages it. That's a good thing.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Life isn't fair. Get a helmet.
I happen to believe the "Life is hard: get a helmet" creed.

But for ADULTS who are capable of creating their own life. Sorry, but I'm not going to tell a young elementary school student who doesn't have a dad in the picture, through no fault of his own, to get a helmet. (Besides he's probably trying to figure out how to build one because life has smacked him a good one.)

I've got NO problem with Donuts with Male Adult Figure in Your Life Day. None.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting