Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Jesus, you have issues. Kids are sexual because...wait for it...we are all sexual beings. Like it or not your DD might have the sex drive of 1000000 horney bunnies. You have no control. Annoying huh?

Or she might have got them becaue she was just curious and wanted to see them for herself. You can thank the school for developing her thinking abilities and reasoning skills too but I'm betting you won't. Just a hunch I have. When you turn to a bunch of internet strangers instead of asking your own kid a simple question about an age appropriate issue it's a fair bet you aren't as together as you think you are.
But not at age 14.

A 14 year old girl should be having fun, socializing with girls and not being pressured by anyone into sex. A normal 14 year old girl still sees the "ewwww" in a lot of what sex involves.

If a 14 year old girl is having sex, likely she's being pressured or coerced into it, and it's statuatory rape for a man or older boy to be using a young girl for sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 12:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But not at age 14.

A 14 year old girl should be having fun, socializing with girls and not being pressured by anyone into sex. A normal 14 year old girl still sees the "ewwww" in a lot of what sex involves.

If a 14 year old girl is having sex, likely she's being pressured or coerced into it, and it's statuatory rape for a man or older boy to be using a young girl for sex.
I think you are kidding yourself. Tons of girls are having sex at 14 because they want to, and they don't think it's icky. If you had said the same of 11 or even 12 year old girls, maybe. But not at 14. I remember that when I was in school the first kids we knew to have sex did it in 6th grade. By 8th grade, there were regular "pregnancy scares" in the girls' locker room before gym class. So in 9th grade, at age 14, it was not unusual at all for kids to be having sex. I know that my sister was having sex before she was in high school. Of course she also ended up pregnant before she finished high school, despite my mom keeping a basket of condoms in the bathroom and putting her on BCP. But she wasn't being pressured or coerced - she knew what she was doing and she wanted to do it.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I find it ridiculous that the school system has taken over the job of parenting, while neglecting teaching. My dd is in AP classes, and thinks 1/57 is greater than 1/4 because, well, 57 is bigger than 4 yet seems the school wants to teach her all about sex!

Perhaps if they spent less time with their nose in the gutter so would the kids!
Parents have infinitely more influence on their kids' lives than schools do. If you believe that schools are neglecting teaching and taking over parenting, I would hope that you'll be homeschooling soon.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But not at age 14.

Bless your heart.
Unfortunately that is not true. I developed at age 12, to the point where the kids insisted I was stuffing my bra... at 14 I was aggressively sexually active; no outside pressure at all; I WANTED it, I chose to do it. People ARE sexual beings that young; like it or not, it happens, and telling yourself otherwise won't change a thing.

However, unlike my mother who insisted I should not be wearing bras (my very uncomfortable father finally bought them for me so I wouldn't hurt myself or fall out of my blouses!) or shaving my legs (even when they looked like woolen leggings!) until I was 16, I chose to teach my children, especially my daughter, about intelligent choices, hormones, science, STDs, and pregnancy. I gave her the tools and information she needed to make valuable life choices.

I also told all my kids that if they had children before they could afford to support them, that I was not a built-in babysitter like most of their friends' moms, and that they would have to quit school and go to work to support any children they created... but that's another story...

Old 10-01-2011, 06:03 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think you are kidding yourself. Tons of girls are having sex at 14 because they want to, and they don't think it's icky. If you had said the same of 11 or even 12 year old girls, maybe. But not at 14. I remember that when I was in school the first kids we knew to have sex did it in 6th grade. By 8th grade, there were regular "pregnancy scares" in the girls' locker room before gym class. So in 9th grade, at age 14, it was not unusual at all for kids to be having sex. I know that my sister was having sex before she was in high school. Of course she also ended up pregnant before she finished high school, despite my mom keeping a basket of condoms in the bathroom and putting her on BCP. But she wasn't being pressured or coerced - she knew what she was doing and she wanted to do it.
I am sorry, but I can say that when I was 14, NO ONE that I knew was having sex... ( no girls that I was friends with or familiar with)I never heard anyone talking about it, except the boys and even then, the conversations were more silly then anything else. I graduated with over 500 people in my class and there was 1 girl who was pregnant...
I don't think it is normal for a 14 yr old to WANT to have sex... Sorry.
I would be questioning the area in which We lived and the morals of the families if ALL of the kids were having sex by 9th grade.

When I was 14 I was going to football games with my friends, having sleepovers and having fun. Sex was never a topic at our sleepovers unless you count the giggling conversations about who "likes" and who thought who was the "mintest" boy... ( yes, that was our word) ... We had dance parties and just had FUN! Maybe we were immature and naive, I don't know, but I am grateful that I never felt any pressure by any part of my peers, both boys or girls. Even in high school, I dated the same guy all through high school and although as we got older there were certainly more conversations about things, but again, never pressure from anyone about anything.
I certainly hope that when my kids are 14 that it will be the furthest thing from their minds....

Old 10-01-2011, 10:20 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
I just did a quick search on Google and about a third of 9th graders in the US have had sex according to several sites. A 14 year old definitely needs a sex talk, even if they aren't personally sexually active because at least some of their peers are among that 33%. Finding condoms isn't a huge deal unless you make it one; someone possibly having sex while lacking important knowledge is a big deal.

I wasn't sexually active at 14 but I knew plenty of people who were. Anyone who thinks 14 year olds are mostly naiive is kidding themselves.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:58 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Quote:
Algebra, 9th grade, all A's. Apparently she is pleasing the school, but somehow missing the point.

I don't know yet where she got the condoms, I haven't talked with her yet. But I do know some schools teach/preach sex ed, without the parents' permission or involvement. By cutting us out of the loop on these essential issues, it only creates suspicion and mistrust and interferes with family dynamics. Then they wonder what's wrong?
Algebra is standard in 9th grade. It is not an AP class.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Bless your heart.
Unfortunately that is not true. I developed at age 12, to the point where the kids insisted I was stuffing my bra... at 14 I was aggressively sexually active; no outside pressure at all; I WANTED it, I chose to do it. People ARE sexual beings that young; like it or not, it happens, and telling yourself otherwise won't change a thing.

However, unlike my mother who insisted I should not be wearing bras (my very uncomfortable father finally bought them for me so I wouldn't hurt myself or fall out of my blouses!) or shaving my legs (even when they looked like woolen leggings!) until I was 16, I chose to teach my children, especially my daughter, about intelligent choices, hormones, science, STDs, and pregnancy. I gave her the tools and information she needed to make valuable life choices.

I also told all my kids that if they had children before they could afford to support them, that I was not a built-in babysitter like most of their friends' moms, and that they would have to quit school and go to work to support any children they created... but that's another story...
You may have been aggressively sexually active by age 14, I can assure you that is not actually the norm. Yes some girls are having sex with any boy or man who comes along and never have learned to use the word "no" but that's not how it has to be.

Yes a girl can be allowed not to date, a parent can realize that many teens do not have sex. At age 14, it's far better for a girl to have crushes and be silly about love and romance. Many 14 year old boys are the same, they don't even have jobs to pay for a date and actually most 14 year old boys prefer hanging out with the guys. Kids don't have to be dating at age 14 either. In fact that's one good reason to delay dating until older when they know their own minds better.

Certainly I do not want boys and men using my daughter and it's definitely using when there's no love involved. A 14 year old is too young to understand romantic love, sex without love can damage.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
I find it ridiculous that the school system has taken over the job of parenting, while neglecting teaching. My dd is in AP classes, and thinks 1/57 is greater than 1/4 because, well, 57 is bigger than 4 yet seems the school wants to teach her all about sex!

Perhaps if they spent less time with their nose in the gutter so would the kids!
The school systems have taken over parenting in some areas because nowadays there are a lot of parents who don't do their job. Not hard to understand.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
I will comment on Sex Education in school;
When I went to school it was called Health and Human Hygiene, condoms were not demonstrated or passed out, boys and girls had it separately .
I knew where babies come from for as far back as I can remember, how they were made about age nine, the only thing I learned in school was the biology of it(7th grade).

Too many parents are uncomfortable talking about sex with their children and leave it up to the schools and then some complain about what is taught and how.
Too many parents want to hold back giving them "The talk" because it means they are growing into sexual people.
Too many parents over-react and create more problems including possible sexual dysfunction later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting