Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,914,833 times

Advertisements

I recently attended a class about potty training for kids with special needs. There were many parents there with older children with various kinds of developmental and physical special needs. Does this child have any special needs?

One of the suggestions from the class was to use a potty watch. This is a watch that the child wears that will alarm at specific intervals. When the watch alarms, it is time to sit on the potty. It helps both of you remember to try, but it takes the focus away from you telling the child to do it. The watch is telling the child, not you, so the child isn't mad at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 12:44 PM

25,792 posts, read 21,942,589 times
Our son with Down syndrome was toilet trained by 6 years old and did not have accidents after that. It was a lot of work - scheduling mostly to get him trained as all the rewards did not work. He actually started going on his own when we were camping and using a porti-potti. I would hope that with a 5 year old child without special needs, the child would have been taken for a physical examination and also tested to see if there were developmental delays. With our older son, when he was 2, I put him in cloth training pants so when he wet his pants, his socks got wet and when he pooped, I had him rinse them in the toilet. Took about 2 months to train him!

Old 10-01-2011, 12:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,565,474 times
Remove the diapers from the house. Just don't make them an option, and you'll be amazed what happens when she is wet and yucky. I'd also make it a point not to yell that does nothing but add stress to the situation.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:34 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,004,318 times
Our son was trained a few months before turning 3. We told him "this is the last box of diapers". Then we pointed out when they were half gone and again when he was on the last one. I didn't buy any more. I also used M&Ms as a reward....1 for pee, 2 for poop. IMO, you've got to get the diapers out of the house. Having them there makes it too easy for her and for you to cave in.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:40 PM

677 posts, read 1,535,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Remove the diapers from the house. Just don't make them an option, and you'll be amazed what happens when she is wet and yucky. I'd also make it a point not to yell that does nothing but add stress to the situation.
+1
Absolutely agree with this. Almost 5 is pretty old to still be in diapers unless she had medical issues or is delayed somehow.
Just tell her no more diapers. Ask her if she wants to wear Supergirl or Hello Kitty panties (whatever you have). She may resist, cry and yell. Stay calm and repeat the question once. If she chooses be happy ANC positive. If she resists be positive and tell her she's welcome to join you in the kitchen, family room (wherever) after she puts her panties and shorts/pants on. Go out and close her bedroom door. If she comes out without getting dressed, put her back in the room, repeat about 'joining you after' and close the door. Do not get upset. Repeat if needed, only this time don't say anything. She might do this several times considering you've given in to her before.
When she gets dressed and comes out- be happy and positive. Send her to the bathroom every 30 minutes and do the same thing as above. 'You're welcome to enjoy our tea party after you've gone to the restroom, thank you'

Old 10-01-2011, 01:44 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Our almost five year old literally refuses to stop using diapers; since we lack the energy or patience (all attempts turn into screaming matches within thre minutes) to fight this, do they ever just grow out of it?

The cost of buying diapers is not a burden on us. However, its embarrassing and she can't go to day camp and stuff like that since toilet training is a requirement.
Oh my. I have heard of children who potty train themselves but usually it is much earlier than this. I think if I were you, I'd have him evaluated to see if there aren't some developmental issues involved.

If not, I will be very interested in seeing your posts in 10 years when you are trying to get your 15 year old to do something. It's going to be quite entertaining.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,900,631 times
Have you tried M&M's? They work wonders.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Most pediatricians feel that age 4 is the end of the line for the "let it all hang out", "let it be his/her decision", etc. This child needs to get potty trained ASAP, IMO.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
I'd ignore her and let her sit in her own filth a few times.
She's old enough to control her bowels/bladder.

This is a control showdown between the two of you.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is a control showdown between the two of you.
That's what I think. Screaming match? With a five year old? Big clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting