Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
The oddest thing is the question about "free time." Why would someone assume that people without kids have more or less "free time" than someone with kids? I know a couple without kids and they have less free time than a couple I know with five kids...
Very true! I know another couple without kids and they see each other every other week because they are out of the country simultenously on business. When they do get 'free time' its about a few hours to a day if lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 01:48 PM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
My wife and I don't have kids a we can't seem to get pregnant. been married 13 years.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
What is the point of this thread and why did I take time to respond?
LMAO!! I was just asking myself why I was even reading this post when I read your comment!!

Quote:
The oddest thing is the question about "free time." Why would someone assume that people without kids have more or less "free time" than someone with kids? I know a couple without kids and they have less free time than a couple I know with five kids...
How is this possible????

But since I've already taken the time to post, I guess I will answer:
What do you think of couples without children?
I sometimes wonder if they know what they are missing. I could have easily been a childless couple (or part of one, I guess). I was very much surprised about the total disruption that children took on my life and self, and how willing I was to embrace the total chaos and loose that focus on self. I also sometimes wonder if they DO know, and they are the only sane ones that saved themselves!

Do you automatically think they don't like kids?
Nope. I actually think some parents that DO have kids don't like kids.

Are you jealous of their free time?
Nope. I really, really enjoy spending my time with my kids, and can't imagine it any other way now. I am, however, probably jealous of their finances! I don't know what I would do with all the free time, I do know what I would do with all that $$$!!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to be mystified as to why anyone would get married if they didn't want children. To me, having children was the point of getting married and couldn't see why someone would want to get married if they didn't plan to have a family. Not so much now--I'm older, and I know a few married couples who are childfree by choice yet chose to marry, and at this age, I'm smart enough to know their choice is none of my business.

No, I don't automatically think they don't like kids.

No, I was never jealous of their free time. I was frequently jealous of the free time of mothers who didn't have to work full-time, though. But, I got over that, too.
I don't think about couples who don't have any children. There could be other reasons for them not having any children, other than not wanting any...
Fertility issues for one, which I have gone through and always hated the questions; WHEN are you going to have kids?
We were married almost 8 years before adopting our 1st child...

Not jealous of their free time, never thought about it and as a mom who doesn't work full time, as the above post insinuated, I have plenty of that anyway's... Ugh.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I don't automatically assume anything.

There is only one childless couple I've ever wondered "why" about and that's my ex-boyfriend and his wife. There was a time I thought I'd marry him, and I wonder if we'd have ended up not having kids, if it was her, or him, or a mutual decision.

I am sometimes jealous of their free time, but not their life in general.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules21 View Post
A few honest questions:

The only ones I "think" of on a regular basis are my aunt and uncle, they are childless due to some unfortunate circumstances and it makes me very sad for them. They would have been great parents.

Aside from that I don't really think about it. Oddly I know many, many couples who are childless by choice. I guess it is what works for them or they were just unlucky.

Quote:
Nope, I know teachers who are childless by choice.

Quote:
I am not jealous of their "free time". Most people I know don't really have "free time", since they sign up for more and more things based on the amount of time they have. As a group my friends tend to be all fairly busy.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
1. I don't think anything about it, because it's not my business.
2. I never assume that. It could be that they want children and have fertility issues. Or it might not be the right time for them. Either way, not my business.
3. No, I don't get jealous of other people's circumstances. Besides, I enjoy spending my free time with my kids.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,286 times
I don't really think about couples without children.

No
ETA: Unless they make it abundantly clear they don't like kids. I know many couples without children are calling for kids to banned from public places like libraries, grocery stores, etc.

No, jealousy is a wasted emotion. I try every hard to not be jealous

Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I don't think much different of them than anyone else. They're people like anyone else. I'd be liable to think worse of someone who has kids and is so obviously unequipped for it, but really I'm so busy concentrating on my own life that I don't have a lot of time to think about others' lives.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:57 PM

210 posts, read 708,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
That is a very good question. What is your real concern here, OP?
Thank you for your replies!

I'm just kinda gathering a general opinion of what people think? I'm at the age where a bunch of friends are having kids and some aren't so we are kinda caught in the middle. My hubby and I aren't really sure where we fit in anymore and are feeling a bit left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting