Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

that is good news, but I'm anxious to see what actually happens after school next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Success!! My neighbor, her husband and I intercepted the mom and laid out the situation and chatted for a good 20 minutes. We were pretty stern with her and told her that her son had almost been hit. The mom is well aware of the problem and said that she "grounded" the kid after the first incident this week by taking away his computer and TV. Said that the grounding didn't bother him much though and she may have to think of other punishments.

The boy's problem she said was that last year he loved to race another little boy (who now is dropped off and picked up via car) back to the house. This is still a hold over from last year where he is trying to get home as fast as he can. It became a habit which she can't seem to break. She has told him to not run but it isn't doing much good. The nanny has been very frustrated and repeatedly told the mom about the boy. She also knows that the nanny can't catch him (neither could we the other day--once those little legs get momentum, it is hard to catch up).

We suggested that he get on a bus stop further down in the development where he wouldn't need to cross any streets. She said she thought about that but "he won't listen" and would get off in current location and simply ignore the bus driver. Oy!!

I get the feeling that the boy controls her and she is throwing up her hands a bit. We did ask her if it was okay to grab him and she said yes. So if worse comes to worse, we have her permission.

We shall see. As they were driving off, this kid was in the car bopping around, out of his seat and wild. At least we did our part and had our say. She was very appreciative and thanked us profusely.
You have done all that you can do in this situation. It is now up to the little boy's parents to handle it.

This mom needs to go back to basics. Forget about "timeouts", "groundings" and taking away the iPad for the kid....little Johnnie needs a good old fashioned 1950s style (pre 9-1-1) and spanking. One from the mother and then another one from the father. Children today are just so out-of-control and disobedient; there isn't enough respect and fear of consequences from the parents. Parents need to stop being afraid to truly discipline their kids. I have seen so much bad, unruly public behavior from children that I have to blame the parents for being too lax.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Good job. Next step, a shock collar.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know what kinds of jobs people have that they can't take any time off ever. she must have a good job if she pays an almost live-in nanny. It sounds like she maybe gets off early on Fridays too. If there is an issue with her kid, she needs to show up. not every day, just once to see it.
How do you know the nanny is not a grandmother or aunt rather than a paid employee. I take care of my grandkids and meet them at the bus stop some days myself.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Success!! My neighbor, her husband and I intercepted the mom and laid out the situation and chatted for a good 20 minutes. We were pretty stern with her and told her that her son had almost been hit. The mom is well aware of the problem and said that she "grounded" the kid after the first incident this week by taking away his computer and TV. Said that the grounding didn't bother him much though and she may have to think of other punishments.

The boy's problem she said was that last year he loved to race another little boy (who now is dropped off and picked up via car) back to the house. This is still a hold over from last year where he is trying to get home as fast as he can. It became a habit which she can't seem to break. She has told him to not run but it isn't doing much good. The nanny has been very frustrated and repeatedly told the mom about the boy. She also knows that the nanny can't catch him (neither could we the other day--once those little legs get momentum, it is hard to catch up).

We suggested that he get on a bus stop further down in the development where he wouldn't need to cross any streets. She said she thought about that but "he won't listen" and would get off in current location and simply ignore the bus driver. Oy!!

I get the feeling that the boy controls her and she is throwing up her hands a bit. We did ask her if it was okay to grab him and she said yes. So if worse comes to worse, we have her permission.

We shall see. As they were driving off, this kid was in the car bopping around, out of his seat and wild. At least we did our part and had our say. She was very appreciative and thanked us profusely.
I am glad you had success and it seems like you have done what you could. However, a boy this age with these issues should be evaluated as he may need more help than just keeping him from darting into the street.

For those who suggest spanking, I doubt that would help if the child has special needs and it sounds like he does. Most children this age know how to cross streets, though they may occasionally *forget.* A child who darts out and avoids his nanny like this is pretty unusual at 5 or 6.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
I don't think this child has special needs, I think this child does whatever he wants. The mother said, 'he won't listen'??? Are you serious?! Then obviously the discipline and punishments have not been affective.

I just hope that she's not weeping at his funeral one day because she just didn't want to "hurt little Tommy's feelings" by being the disciplinarian.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't think this child has special needs, I think this child does whatever he wants. The mother said, 'he won't listen'??? Are you serious?! Then obviously the discipline and punishments have not been affective.
I agree. It's the mother who needs to have her head examined. People are telling her that her son is running out in traffic and her answer is that he doesn't listen to her? Lady! Your kid is running out into traffic! You are the mom!

My guess is that this kid rules the roost at home too. (My thoughts are based on the OP saying she gets the feeling the kid controls the mom and she is throwing up her hands. Something in the family dynamic is backwards.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-10-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How do you know the nanny is not a grandmother or aunt rather than a paid employee. I take care of my grandkids and meet them at the bus stop some days myself.
Because then the OP would have referred to her as the Grandmother or the Aunt instead of as the nanny.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I agree. It's the mother who needs to have her head examined. People are telling her that her son is running out in traffic and her answer is that he doesn't listen to her? Lady! Your kid is running out into traffic! You are the mom!
Totally agree.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 PM

87 posts, read 92,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You have done all that you can do in this situation. It is now up to the little boy's parents to handle it.

This mom needs to go back to basics. Forget about "timeouts", "groundings" and taking away the iPad for the kid....little Johnnie needs a good old fashioned 1950s style (pre 9-1-1) and spanking. One from the mother and then another one from the father. Children today are just so out-of-control and disobedient; there isn't enough respect and fear of consequences from the parents. Parents need to stop being afraid to truly discipline their kids. I have seen so much bad, unruly public behavior from children that I have to blame the parents for being too lax.

I agree! And parents that say, "Oh no, I don't want to HURT him"...aren't realizing that they are actually hurting them LESS in the long run. That was always my standard for doling out spankings...if the spanking hurt less than the infraction, then "no harm, no foul."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting