U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 PM

32,524 posts, read 34,895,660 times

Advertisements

(Since) when is a woman who (apparently) can't tell the difference between a 2-year old and a newborn allowed to drive a city bus?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,718,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
(Since) when is a woman who (apparently) can't tell the difference between a 2-year old and a newborn allowed to drive a city bus?
When I was reading the transcript, I kept reading it as a CYA transmission. I don't think the driver ever thought this story would get this big. Now that it has, she will definitley be questioned about the 2 year old comment. If it really is a newborn, what else was she lying about?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM

8,680 posts, read 14,867,499 times
I live in Portland and ride the transit almost every day. I don't know what happened other than what the news reported. Of course the woman should not have been told to leave the bus. That was the wrong thing to do. The driver should have contacted dispatch for further instructions before the woman left the bus. No one knows really did the driver actually order her off the bus. I don't know. The local news here reports she doesn't speak English. Are the other passengers on the bus straight forward with factual info concerning the incident. Or as many in Portland do. Dislike our Transit Company and want to make the driver with no other complaints in 10 years look really bad. Believe me when I say there is tremendous disdain for Trimet and its drivers in this city. Some is deserved some is not. All I know is I have never seen a population complain about a cities transit company as much as I see here in Portland.

With that said and I'm not defending the driver or the Transit Company "Trimet". I think there is probably more to this story simply because I live in Portland, and I know what the population is like here. For those that are not familiar with this city, it has one of the most poorly mannered, and quite frankly dirtiest populations I have ever seen on public transit. This is coming from someone use to the big cities of the Northeast and their transit companies. My thoughts on this from riding the local transit and some times getting off the bus myself due to the other passengers is this. Some of the behavior of passengers is beyond offensive, obnoxious and downright scary. I don't know how sometimes the drivers don't just park the bus and quit on the spot.

I think this womans baby would not stop crying and it was probably screaming beyond normal crying and would not stop. I think the driver did not immediately tell her to leave the bus. I think something else must have happened in between that. Probably with the other passengers on that bus intervening. I have seen this on the bus and its usually been people whose customs tolerate crying and screaming more so than many of us would or could. Some just sit there and let the kid scream without even trying to calm the child. Many people on these buses yell at the drivers, will not pay their fares, bring pit bulls on the bus and sit them in the seats. You would have to live here to really see what life is like in Portland to get the full picture. Again I think there is more to this story than a bus driver telling this woman to get off the bus with her baby. Since I wasn't there the info only comes from the local Portland news.

I just have a difficult time understanding why a Trimet driver with 10 years on the job would literally kick a woman and baby off the bus. Knowing what the repercussions would be. It just doesn't make sense to me. With all the prior complaints against the drivers here and there are many, I'm not so sure its not an attempt to break this transit company.

When the results of the investigation come out, and if the driver was at fault then the driver should be fired immediately. The reports say the driver is on suspension as of now. I will wait for the results before I blame anyone on this.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 10-09-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 PM

5,698 posts, read 18,291,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live in Portland and ride the transit almost every day. I don't know what happened other than what the news reported. Of course the woman should not have been told to leave the bus. That was the wrong thing to do. The driver should have contacted dispatch for further instructions before the woman left the bus. No one knows really did the driver actually order her off the bus. I don't know. The local news here reports she doesn't speak English. Are the other passengers on the bus straight forward with factual info concerning the incident. Or as many in Portland do. Dislike our Transit Company and want to make the driver with no other complaints in 10 years look really bad. Believe me when I say there is tremendous disdain for Trimet and its drivers in this city. Some is deserved some is not. All I know is I have never seen a population complain about a cities transit company as much as I see here in Portland.

With that said and I'm not defending the driver or the Transit Company "Trimet". I think there is probably more to this story simply because I live in Portland, and I know what the population is like here. For those that are not familiar with this city, it has one of the most poorly mannered, and quite frankly dirtiest populations I have ever seen on public transit. This is coming from someone use to the big cities of the Northeast and their transit companies. My thoughts on this from riding the local transit and some times getting off the bus myself due to the other passengers is this. Some of the behavior of passengers is beyond offensive, obnoxious and downright scary. I don't know how sometimes the drivers don't just park the bus and quit on the spot.

I think this womans baby would not stop crying and it was probably screaming beyond normal crying and would not stop. I think the driver did not immediately tell her to leave the bus. I think something else must have happened in between that. Probably with the other passengers on that bus intervening. I have seen this on the bus and its usually been people whose customs tolerate crying and screaming more so than many of us would or could. Some just sit there and let the kid scream without even trying to calm the child. Many people on these buses yell at the drivers, will not pay their fares, bring pit bulls on the bus and sit them in the seats. You would have to live here to really see what life is like in Portland to get the full picture. Again I think there is more to this story than a bus driver telling this woman to get off the bus with her baby. Since I wasn't there the info only comes from the local Portland news.

I just have a difficult time understanding why a Trimet driver with 10 years on the job would literally kick a woman and baby off the bus. Knowing what the repercussions would be. It just doesn't make sense to me. With all the prior complaints against the drivers here and there are many, I'm not so sure its not an attempt to break this transit company.

When the results of the investigation come out, and if the driver was at fault then the driver should be fired immediately. The reports say the driver is on suspension as of now. I will wait for the results before I blame anyone on this.
Interesting point of view. I have never been to Portland but have a few friends that live there. They never mentioned the whole transit issues but both drive cars though. I have always been intrigued by Portland and wanted to move there. My husband had 2 phone job interviews and he said the people were the rudest interviewers he ever had. So I dunno. Sorry, not to get off topic but yes I have seen where the media blows something out of proportion. It will be interesting to find out more details but by that time it will be old news and the media probably won't cover it.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 102,922,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I highly doubt an entire bus load of passengers would get off the bus to support this woman if she was at fault in any way.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 102,922,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Interesting point of view. I have never been to Portland but have a few friends that live there. They never mentioned the whole transit issues but both drive cars though. I have always been intrigued by Portland and wanted to move there. My husband had 2 phone job interviews and he said the people were the rudest interviewers he ever had. So I dunno.
Someone from Portland once told me that Portland is to Seattle what West Virginia is to Pittsburgh.

Nothing against West Virginia, my mother was from there, but I knew instantly what he meant.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 AM

5,698 posts, read 18,291,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Someone from Portland once told me that Portland is to Seattle what West Virginia is to Pittsburgh.

Nothing against West Virginia, my mother was from there, but I knew instantly what he meant.
Interesting! I read the Portland thread quite a bit and it seems pretty mixed on how happy people are. My friend lives in Chicago and he is constantly complaining about the transit system there, about people being dirty and so forth. I prefer my car. lol.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 AM

2,662 posts, read 5,732,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I highly doubt an entire bus load of passengers would get off the bus to support this woman if she was at fault in any way.
I don't know. People do weird things if they think they're sticking in to the man.

In NYC the same people who would knock you down and spit in your face for no reason whatsoever will hold the subway doors for someone coming down from a different platform because they believe they are getting back at the MTA.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,964,032 times
That sucks for the mother and baby. Way to go other passengers.

Last edited by crisan; 10-11-2011 at 05:03 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,282,533 times
Yeah, I know it's a year and a half late, but a bus driver who would kick a mother and baby off of a bus has personality problems. How someone could do that is beyond me. People with no heart get on my last nerve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting