Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Did you also try boiling oil?
I wanted to try the rack first, then draw and quarter him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:18 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So what I can't figure from this thread is ... we CARE when some obnoxious jerk makes a rude comment or eye roll to us in public?
Yes and no... There are times when my DD notices the behavior of adults (and she is 5). So what kind of message does that send to my son, when people are rude about his behavior? One time in a restaurant, he started to meltdown, I went to leave, I was getting my coat on and as I'm walking out the door, another patron, yelled, "will somebody shut that r*tard up." Even though his communication skills are non-existent, his comprehension skills are wonderful.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
Yes and no... There are times when my DD notices the behavior of adults (and she is 5). So what kind of message does that send to my son, when people are rude about his behavior? One time in a restaurant, he started to meltdown, I went to leave, I was getting my coat on and as I'm walking out the door, another patron, yelled, "will somebody shut that r*tard up." Even though his communication skills are non-existent, his comprehension skills are wonderful.
Yah I hear you. I guess a teachable moment? Oh MY, did you hear that rude man? But the older I get, the less I care what anyone else says. The messages YOU send your son are the ones that he will hear, not what some dope in a restaurant.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
So what I can't figure from this thread is ... we CARE when some obnoxious jerk makes a rude comment or eye roll to us in public?
I do. I'm a human being and other people's reactions to my actions sometimes effect me. *shrug*

Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 PM

167 posts, read 477,090 times
Quote:
Yah I hear you. I guess a teachable moment? Oh MY, did you hear that rude man? But the older I get, the less I care what anyone else says. The messages YOU send your son are the ones that he will hear, not what some dope in a restaurant.
That happened to us once as well. I looked at my son and said "That right there is a perfect example of what your ABA Therapist is trying to say. I guess he didn't have one, look at how lucky you are." The guy probably had no idea what an ABA Therapist was, but by the look on his face the word therapist was all it took.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
I wanted to try the rack first, then draw and quarter him.
Well, a good mother would have used the pillory. Come on jojo.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:35 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I raised 4 kids, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I would have rolled my eyes too, and I saw the same thing happen in a grocery store recently. You are training your child to manipulate you when you give in like that. It's the lazy way.
What I want to tell parents is if you take your child shopping when he is tired, hurt, hungry you will be punished for it. We've all seen the mom trying to squeeze in one last errand with a screaming kid having a meltdown. It's not the child's fault.
Also, what I want to tell parents is always speak to your child respectfully, and he will do the same. Have respect for his wishes and if you cannot comply with them, then at least acknowledge them.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I raised 4 kids, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I would have rolled my eyes too, and I saw the same thing happen in a grocery store recently. You are training your child to manipulate you when you give in like that. It's the lazy way.
What is the point of putting someone else down like that?

Quote:
What I want to tell parents is if you take your child shopping when he is tired, hurt, hungry you will be punished for it. We've all seen the mom trying to squeeze in one last errand with a screaming kid having a meltdown. It's not the child's fault.
It's not always "someone's" fault either. Life is imperfect, schedules can be hectic, days can sometimes not go well.

Quote:
Also, what I want to tell parents is always speak to your child respectfully, and he will do the same. Have respect for his wishes and if you cannot comply with them, then at least acknowledge them.
I agree with this.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It's not always "someone's" fault either. Life is imperfect, schedules can be hectic, days can sometimes not go well.

It has nothing to do with fault. A parent of a melting child has no more right to squeak one more errand in than everyone else has a right to not listen to it, in my opinion quite the opposite. Having chosen to be a parent, you have chosen to deal with your children. Other shoppers have not.

And if you choose to give in this one time, you can bet your sweet bippy that he will know he has you over a barrel next time as well.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with fault. A parent of a melting child has no more right to squeak one more errand in than everyone else has a right to not listen to it, in my opinion quite the opposite. Having chosen to be a parent, you have chosen to deal with your children. Other shoppers have not.

And if you choose to give in this one time, you can bet your sweet bippy that he will know he has you over a barrel next time as well.
Eh, like I said, sometimes things just have to be done. I have no idea when some people started thinking they had a right to a quiet, peaceful night at the local Wegman's safe from the bothers of society, but it's quite annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting