Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,176,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I do this too but then I get a twinge in my stomach thinking that the other person sees us as golfgal does.
I have a lot more parenting mileage on me, and have had the advantage of knowing I've already raised some stellar citizens. So I have the luxury of being pretty secure in the knowledge that I can be a parent without screwing it up too badly. It makes it a lot easier to blow off critics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You know, the older I get the less I give a flying fig what other people think.

(Unless you're trying to debate a bunch of bull here. Then there's that. )
Wait until after menopause. It completely removes the "give a da**" part of your brain. I've become a melange of Julia Sugarbaker and Sophia Petrillo. (Wish I had Dixie Carter's figure though.)

Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,144,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Eh, like I said, sometimes things just have to be done.
As I said elsewhere, we each choose which hill we are going to die on. And I die on this hill. Shopping just NEVER has to be done more than the understanding that temper tantrums and melt downs are simply not tolerated. (Age appropriate to their ability to actually control said behavior.) As a result, these things stopped happening when the kids were like 3. Actually I doubt dd, the younger, ever did it at all.

Quote:
I have no idea when some people started thinking they had a right to a quiet, peaceful night at the local Wegman's safe from the bothers of society, but it's quite annoying.
We each have our cross to bear. Listening to some kids' ill mannered shrieks because Mom is too lazy to deal with it and MUST get the oreos right that second is "quite annoying" too.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I don't know how it works in other places, but field trip volunteers are done on a lottery system here...
The teacher asks for volunteers, but explains they only need (#) , and then the names are basically put in a draw pile.
It could be that some working parents do want to go and find that they don't get picked.
Same thing can happen with a sahp, possibly they just did not get picked.
Depends on the school. Some have an abundance of volunteers. At my kids' elementary school, they sort of begged anybody who didn't have to see a parole officer in order to leave the county to go on field trips. At one point it was in dd's IEP that either Mr. Aconite or I had to go. (I usually let him do the fun ones.)

Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Did you also try boiling oil?

If he's stim seeking, he'd probably be okay with it (and I'm only kind of half joking, because I know a kid who's stim-seeking to the point of danger to life and limb).

Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So what I can't figure from this thread is ... we CARE when some obnoxious jerk makes a rude comment or eye roll to us in public?
Parents, especially new ones, can be vulnerable. When you care sooooo much about doing a good job, and have such a stake in the outcome, it leaves you prey to anybody who's decided to make his or her bad mood your problem.
It takes a lot of mileage (or an incredible amount of ego strength in the first place) before you can just sort of get to the point where you look at Mr. or Mrs. Grumpypants kinda fishy eyed and and tell them to go play with their spotted dick. (It's a food, Julia, honest!)

Old 10-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Parents, especially new ones, can be vulnerable. When you care sooooo much about doing a good job, and have such a stake in the outcome, it leaves you prey to anybody who's decided to make his or her bad mood your problem.
Actually. I DO remember that now that you say it that way.
Quote:
It takes a lot of mileage (or an incredible amount of ego strength in the first place) before you can just sort of get to the point where you look at Mr. or Mrs. Grumpypants kinda fishy eyed and and tell them to go play with their spotted dick. (It's a food, Julia, honest!)
I thought it was "potted".

Old 10-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I thought it was "potted".
Heinz Spotted Dick | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sa_steve/842589918/ - broken link)

Old 10-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Heinz Spotted Dick | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sa_steve/842589918/ - broken link)
Huh! You learn something new every day.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,201,121 times
Quote:
As I said elsewhere, we each choose which hill we are going to die on. And I die on this hill. Shopping just NEVER has to be done more than the understanding that temper tantrums and melt downs are simply not tolerated. (Age appropriate to their ability to actually control said behavior.) As a result, these things stopped happening when the kids were like 3. Actually I doubt dd, the younger, ever did it at all.
When hubby only has one day off per week and he takes our only car to work the other six days, yes it absolutely MUST be done that day.

Quote:
We each have our cross to bear. Listening to some kids' ill mannered shrieks because Mom is too lazy to deal with it and MUST get the oreos right that second is "quite annoying" too.
Yep. That's right. I deal with the shrieking and such because I need my Oreo fix. NOT because everyone needs lunches for the week, I need to get meats for dinners, cleaning items for my home, etc. No. I do all of that just for my oreos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting