Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times

Advertisements

Who you praise to all your friends as the smartest most loving caring child, who never gives you a gray hair, nor does something wrong, says at thanksgiving dinner he/she would love it if you passed the ********** mashed potatos. Whatever do you do as a modern 21st century parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM

And yes PM did do this said thing when she was 8 to all of you who think i just come up with the most far fetched things in the universe in my mind.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Who you praise to all your friends as the smartest most loving caring child, who never gives you a gray hair, nor does something wrong, says at thanksgiving dinner he/she would love it if you passed the ********** mashed potatos. Whatever do you do as a modern 21st century parent?
My son has tourettes and autism, so this is a normal occurrence. With him, I ignore him completely, and don't acknowledge him or the behavior (trust me it works with him). You react to it, he escalates.

My daughter has repeated what my son says, I tell her that it's not appropriate words. If she does it again, I take away a privilege, or she goes to time out.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,076 times
Well at our Thanksgiving dinner we would all looked very shocked and tell said child "that is not a word we use" in a very stern voice. Then turn our heads away and giggle quietly. Yeah similar things have happened.

While staying at our parents cabin once, my 4yo was looking in the fridge for something and he pulled one of the drawers out too far and then couldn't get it back in so he says "ahh s**t, now what am gonna do?" He was talking to himself and we heard him from the living room.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Well at our Thanksgiving dinner we would all looked very shocked and tell said child "that is not a word we use" in a very stern voice. Then turn our heads away and giggle quietly. Yeah similar things have happened.

While staying at our parents cabin once, my 4yo was looking in the fridge for something and he pulled one of the drawers out too far and then couldn't get it back in so he says "ahh s**t, now what am gonna do?" He was talking to himself and we heard him from the living room.

hehehehehehe

Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post

HAHAHA!!!!

I'm a bit of a potty mouth so if that happened at Thanksgiving I'd just get mad at myself and remind my son that word is on the no-no list.

Funny story-- a couple of days ago we were playing a rhyming game in the car I'd throw out a word and he'd say one that rhymed. Well I said "SONG!" and I got back "BONG!"

I swear he did not learn THAT from me!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
HAHAHA!!!!

I'm a bit of a potty mouth so if that happened at Thanksgiving I'd just get mad at myself and remind my son that word is on the no-no list.

Funny story-- a couple of days ago we were playing a rhyming game in the car I'd throw out a word and he'd say one that rhymed. Well I said "SONG!" and I got back "BONG!"

I swear he did not learn THAT from me!
Chances are he has bo clue and just threw a word out he felt would rhyme .

Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Chances are he has bo clue and just threw a word out he felt would rhyme .

I'm 99.99999999% certain that was the case, he got a a few in row by just using the letter "B" but he cracked me up when he said it.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
Kids always seem to say the wrong thing at the wrong time.

When my DD was I think 2 or close to 3 may parents came to visit and I was in the shower so my mom was watching her. I came out when done and my Mom says to me, "do you know what your daughter said", I was like oh no, now what. Well my Mom said they were in the living room playing and the dogs started barking so my lovely daughter says, "what are those godd**n dogs barking at now". I just busted up laughing, I couldn't help it. Out of the mouths of babes

Old 10-07-2011, 12:11 PM

109 posts, read 231,049 times
I'd pass the mash potatoes :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting