Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times

Advertisements

"God bless the child!" Which was my mom's way of not cursing at us. I forgot about that until I heard it come out my own mouth!

I used to always nag my mom for a story and when she got tired of talking, she would say, "once upon a time, the goose drunk wine, the monkey got choked on tobacco smoke, they all went to heaven on a little rowboat." I find myself saying that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:41 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
"I brought you into this world and so help me God I'll take you out of it!"

(OK, I haven't actually used this one yet but I'm reserving the right to do so when I need it... )
Haha! I haven't used it yet either, but laughed out loud when I read it, because I too am reserving the right to use it in the future!

Zim - very cool concept.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
My father always said "Thank you kindly", which he got from his mother. I find myself saying it too.

The only thing I might have repeated from my mother was "don't make me go up there", when the kids wouldn't settled down at night. It was an empty threat, both from her and me.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My father always said "Thank you kindly", which he got from his mother. I find myself saying it too.

The only thing I might have repeated from my mother was "don't make me go up there", when the kids wouldn't settled down at night. It was an empty threat, both from her and me.

What happens is they decide to call your bluff?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
"Stop pestering your brother."

"I don't care that everybody else is doing it."

"You really need a nap."

"Does anybody need to go to the bathroom before we leave?" Followed 15 minutes later with, "I asked you if you needed to go before we left!"

"I don't expect you to get an A just because your brother did. Everyone is good in different things."

"I love you all equally."

Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM

645 posts, read 988,796 times
"When I was your age..."

"People are starving in (enter country)..."

"If everyone jumped off a cliff..."

"Because I said so!" - I don't mind this one really. Sometimes I hear parents try to reason with their 2, 3, 4, etc year olds, going into details about this and that, and quite frankly, it just sort of looks/sounds ridiculous.

"Mommy and Daddy are busy right now. We'll come out in a few minutes. Go play with your toys...."

"How many times have I told you...!!"

And finally - a classic from dear ol' Pops...

"What's wrong wit'choo, boy????!!!"

Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
"When I was your age..."

"People are starving in (enter country)..."

"If everyone jumped off a cliff..."

"Because I said so!" - I don't mind this one really. Sometimes I hear parents try to reason with their 2, 3, 4, etc year olds, going into details about this and that, and quite frankly, it just sort of looks/sounds ridiculous.

"Mommy and Daddy are busy right now. We'll come out in a few minutes. Go play with your toys...."

"How many times have I told you...!!"

And finally - a classic from dear ol' Pops...

"What's wrong wit'choo, boy????!!!"

busy painting the bathroom?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM

645 posts, read 988,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
busy painting the bathroom?
Hey Baby! That d*mn paint be peelin' off in the bathroom again!!! Can you come and give me a hand??!!!!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Because I said so!

SWORE I would never say that, and then one day I opened my mouth and my mother's voice came out.

We always said Pasque Je le de (no idea on correct spelling French for "Becasue I said so" That way we never say "because I said so" and we can keep our self promises to nevr say that.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
"I do everything around here and you just sit staring at screens."

"outside - NOW"

"Don't ask questions (argue) - move!"

"home - NOW!"

"You are grounded"

"Keys, license, on the table - NOW!"

I now understand what my parents used the word "NOW" so often.

"This modern music is just a bunch of noise"

"All right this is the last chance, the really really last chance, not like the other last chances . . . "

"Why don't you apply yourself? You can do so much better".

Every year after I turned about 35 my parents got smarter. The things they did and said started amking more sense. Even the things that did not make sense became understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting