U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM

4,043 posts, read 6,818,527 times

Advertisements

If you don't find the question too touchy, I would appreciate a ballpark.

We have had our 6 yo boy and 3 yo girl in one activity each this fall. The boy has been in gymnastics and the girl in dance/ballet, both once a week. The session lasts for about 2 months with quite a few "no class" days because of "whatever", as specified by the center. For this basic level of "extra-curriculars", waaay less than most parents do, we paid 200$ (for 2 kids). Had we been residents of the city in question we would have gotten a better price, maybe 20-25 dollars less per child. We are right outside of the city so we pay non-resident fees (again, about 100 per child).

Now it's time to register again as the 2 months session is up. For the kids to continue what they started, they want more money for the next two months; and the more, and then more - every 2 months.

It dawned on us that these frilly things that somehow ended up being considered life-and-death in this society ..cost A LOT of GD MONEY!!
(Hysteria: Harvard won't accept your kid unless his CV drowns in extra-curriculars starting age 3 mos!!!!!).

We are not exactly a pauper family. We have a family income significantly higher than the US average (well into the 6 figures) and no debt whatsoever (we currently rent).
We still find the cost of extra-curriculars an incredible rip-off.

Considering that most middle class parents have their 2-3 kids in at least 2-3 activities per child...my question is:

DO THEY REALLY PAY THAT MUCH MONEY or are we somehow dopy enough for not having found some really inexpensive sources?
We looked all around and there is nothing lower than 50-60 dollars per child per 2 months session.

At the end of the year you end up with thousands of dollars spent on these frills that are supposed to make or break their future. Or not.

Just curious...kindly enlighten me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 PM

23,594 posts, read 25,802,890 times
Hoever much we spend or don't spend, I'm sure you'll enlighten us as to why it's wrong, that Europeans have the better answer and that we're ruining our children as well as society in general.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:26 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,398,053 times
I don't know any parents with all their kids having 2-3 activities to be honest. At most one and quite a few have zero.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,398,053 times
My girls do figure skating 2 times a week and my son has yet to pick anything but with them its 2 times a week at 90 per hour, plus 3-4 dollars a few times a year for sharpening, cost to get on the ice when the practices usually 10-15 dollars a person. However given the costs and time that is about all i will let them do.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:32 PM

9,208 posts, read 5,996,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I don't know any parents with all their kids having 2-3 activities to be honest. At most one and quite a few have zero.
Me either.

To the OP: Last I checked Harvard (or any other college) doesn't care about what your kid did or didn't do prior to High School. If you want your kids in activities, go for it. If not, that's fine too.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,229,501 times
Almost everyone we know has all of their children in at least one, but most 2 or 3 activities each... Several people with 4 kids and they are all playing an instrument,in scouts ( girl and boy)' play soccer or whatever the seasonal sport is AND they swim year round...
This is extreme and I could never do it, both physically or financially.

We have 2 children, both in 2 activities a piece. Dance is from late August to early June. Minus the cost of costumes, we pay approx $800 for the 10 mos... We pay registration fees and u inform costs for soccer and registration fees and extra things for girl scouts... In addition are the fund raisers that are what really bug us! We understand the importance of them but it is a little daunting.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM

33,971 posts, read 19,968,427 times
Truthfully? Thousands.

But I only have one and swimming is expensive where we are currently. That's a club team, travel, plus the HS team. Suits, equipment, training, hotels, gas . . . . you get the picture.

As my son got older - he narrowed things down to one sport - but if you become intensely active in that one sport - you will end up spending some money.

It's up to each family what they are willing to spend and how far they are willing to take it. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong.

There are folks who spend more than I do because they pay for private trainers, etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Me either.

To the OP: Last I checked Harvard (or any other college) doesn't care about what your kid did or didn't do prior to High School. If you want your kids in activities, go for it. If not, that's fine too.
Last time I checked on this form (on which occasion I got mauled over how ridiculous I am to think any college worth anything will accept my kids for "mere" top academics and no amazing accomplishments on extra-curriculars) ...this is not the conclusion that was drawn.

Now I understand: it's the LEASH!!

Pag. 11 and up.

So let's make up our minds.

Last edited by syracusa; 10-10-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM

28,180 posts, read 22,962,891 times
A few hundred per year depending on uniform needs, team fees, etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Truthfully? Thousands.
OK. That's what I needed to know.
I just felt like a complete dope when I realized I hadn't realized how much these things can add up to. I felt that perhaps we found some sources where we unnecessarily over-paid; but this doesn't seem to be the case.

For now, they've been doing just a little sport to keep them active, but we know my older one will soon start piano (as he really is musically talented) and we certainly want to keep that one for the long term. But by the time you add a sport so his muscle tone won't go from below-average (he was like that since birth) to complete mush...you end up in financial ruin; at least this is what seems to me.

I should add that absolutely ALL mothers I know in the area have their 2-3 kids in at least 2-3 activities per child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting