Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I guess I am annoyed at both poor (idiotic) planning and for taking 5 year olds so far on a busy highway when there are at least 6 farms within 5-10 mile radius with all the same stuff (pumpkin, petting zoo, etc.).
Oh okay, so it seems like its more the principle of the thing. I totally agree with you that it's stupid.

That said, I wouldn't worry about the highway part.

It's just one field trip, so it's not like your kid's life will be ruined if they don't go. If it makes your that mad go ahead and protest by pulling your kid. You can take the child to a closer farm on your own if you want!

Last edited by Tinawina; 10-10-2011 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
I wouldn't have even thought about it. Maybe it is because of how much we have to drive here. I don't know. I guess I am not seeing what the issue is.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times
Obrero we're in the same state so I know just how many farms there are all over the place, there's no way I'd let my 5yo go that far. I'm really confused about the poor planning I forget what town you are in but seriously 50 miles?!? Is it an awesome farm?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
There must be a reason they chose this particular place. Perhaps it offered a better deal with more things available? The one that our K has gone to is over 30 miles away on an actual farm. It has a various petting areas, a show with large animals, bounce houses, musical entertainment, hay ride, a snack and they get to bring home a pumpkin. It's definitely worth the ride versus going up the street to walk through a farmer's market set up with cool displays.......

Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
school bus trips are a great time to socialize. your child will have fun most likely. chaperone if you are anxious, but my experience is that kids whose parents are there cling to their parents, those without parents socialize with the other kids and have more fun.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I do not understand this. Why would you make your kid miss it and feel left out? Do you intend to keep your child home from everything that you personally feel was not planned the way you would have planned it?

So you do not like the planning. Tell the teacher that you do not like the planning. Let them explain their reasons if they want to. Maybe they felt that the longer trip would be more exciting for the kids. Make it seem like a bigger deal. Maybe they got a discount or special arrangements. Maybe the farm belongs to the teachers brother. There could be a lot of reasons. You may or may not like the reasons, but since you are not the teacher, you either need to trust them and live with their choices or home school and ensure that all of your choices and preferences are implemented to your liking.

However keeping your kid home because of this makes less sense to me than driving 50 miles to go to a farm.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:38 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
school bus trips are a great time to socialize. your child will have fun most likely. chaperone if you are anxious, but my experience is that kids whose parents are there cling to their parents, those without parents socialize with the other kids and have more fun.
I was going to say the same thing. Most of the time when my kids were young and I asked them what the best part of the field trip was, they told me the bus ride! We live within walking distance of our elementary school, so any chance to get on a bus is fun for them.
There must be something special about this particular farm that you are not aware of? Maybe on the sheduled day the other places were booked up? Also, how would you explain to your child that they won't be going on the field trip with the rest of the class? I wouldn't exclude my child from the group experience.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
I would, but i can understand being peeved since it seems whoever planned it was a bit of a bone head.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:14 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Thanks all for your input. I haven't heard back from the teacher on why this farm....so I will hold off on making a decision in case that place is so special they give away gold bars or something....but on the website it looks like a regular farm to me. And nothing that isn't found much closer to the school.

ps. I know it's not about a better $$ deal because this trip is costing $10 more per kid than it did in previous years...probably for the longer bus ride.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
It wouldn't even cross my mind to not send my child on a field trip. The distance and the highway don't worry me. It would be a shame to make him miss out over principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting