Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
52 miles is a long trip? One hour on the bus each way, sounds like they will be having fun to me. Maybe you should just keep your kids in the closet for the rest of their lives that way you will know exactly where they are at all times.
You know, your condescending comments are just rude.

YES, 52 miles is a long trip for a 5 year old.

The bigger problem for me (and a lot of other parents) would be putting them on a freeway/interstate with lots of other high speed traffic.

And just because parents like our OP, or me, would have concerns about this kind of a field trip in no way means we are overprotective or nut jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I remember where we went on our trips. The nuclear power plant, Bloomsburg Fair, Quiet Valley Historical Farm, Philadelphia Zoo, Knoebels and Washington DC.

Do you now glow in the dark?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
OMG people. It's one trip in kindergarten!

No kidding lol, i can barely remember where we went on those trips at 5 let alone the details.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
I've always rated the experience on its own merits and I've declined to permit my kid to go on poorly planned low quality field trips, all the way through HS. We just make alternate plans to do the experience in an environment that was actually fun and enjoyable, or we came up with a different experience to address the social or 'consolation' aspect.

OP, I would not allow the trip, I would take your child with a few friends myself to a more relaxed nearby zoo or hayride on your own time.

The message my child received from my policies is that you do not go along with 'whatever' unless you think it is safe and rewarding. You do not go along with a plan for reasons like accommodating pressure from peers or organizations, to enhance esteem or popularity, or because you didn't really think about it and just said yes.

Once my kid got older, saying no to pressure and being able to cultivate herself independently are some of her greatest strengths.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for understanding and expressing so eloquently.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
By competence I mean the ability to do something (like take a long trip) without his parents. Young kids are not used to going places without their parents. Many parents keep very close tabs on their child when they do go somewhere. When a child goes on a class field trip they have a chance to do it with less direct supervision. Of course, there is still some supervision but there is less when a whole class goes, than when a family goes. It builds his confidence wrt being able to do things on his own. I hope that helps.

He is 5 years old, somehow i don't think he will be sitting with his therapist at 34 saying "You know i just have no confidence in my own choices because my mother didn't allow me to go on the pumpkin patch field trip".

Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
what??????

She said she has no issue with the distance but with the fact that the trip is so far away thus making the actual time on the trip much shorter than they usually spend at a local farm.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
This is my youngest and we've been / sent kids on many many trips. This one is just so idiotic, I'm not going to be part of it.
Serious question; Please explain to me the purpose of this thread? You had already decided not to send your child on this field trip, and you have been very condescending to anyone who doesn't agree with you. Were you looking for validation, or just wanting to vent?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Do you now glow in the dark?
LOL, no. But I do have a third arm that comes in handy when the kids get out of control.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Not uncalled for just a little off the cuff, maybe I should tone it down for the children in the audience.

I have a pacifier handy if you need something to soothe your tantrum

Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
LOL, no. But I do have a third arm that comes in handy when the kids get out of control.

Hmmm i need to schedule a visit then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting