Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,238,620 times

Advertisements

Bullying others for their physical imperfections could be worse now, but is nothing new. I saw plenty of it growing up in the 60's.

I grew up in a diverse but very racist school. But I maintain to this day that the worst display of cruel prejudice was targeted on a white girl in high school who was quite obese (not common then), dressed badly, and had a big wart on her nose. Awfully nice person, but people would jeer and poke fun at her walking down the hall ~ and she was bullied by all sects of people. It was just sickening.

This girl at least had potential. If she was able to shed weight and have the wart removed eventually, she could have been attractive. But there were frightful things in her personal life that she shared with me one day, and her appearance may not have been her biggest concern at the time.

Kids are cruel little bastards. What really gets me, is that I've seen some of the ridiculers in later years, and many of them didn't age so hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 AM

563 posts, read 1,495,538 times
With the level of bullying these days and 10 year olds killing themselves because of bullying,
I can understand wanting to help my daughter feel better and more confident about herself.
Not everyone is perfect. At least her parents didn't give her Double D's!!!
Can't remember where I saw it, but a 5? year old was having a birthday party with maicures and pedicures and dressing like a princess with makeup with her friends and her mother got her a voucher to get a boob job when she was older and it was just what the daughter had wanted. THAT is messed up!!!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 AM

563 posts, read 1,495,538 times
After watching the video, I'd say she was pretty much entitled to a nose job.
She broke it at 2yo and 8yo. It did jut out, and who can say that it would have done that if she hadn't broken it twice at such young ages? So how is it different than say giving skin graphs to a burn victim at age 13? Or getting braces when the teeth are only mildly crooked and pose no real health problem? And if it was the one thing the girl hated and she now loves her new nose and no longer cares whether people say it's ugly, than it was successful.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,916,845 times
I had plastic surgery when I was about 10 to fix my ears. I was being called Dumbo from preschool onwards so my parents had then pinned back and it was the best thing they could have done. I would do it for my daughter also but thankfully she is perfect in every way (MAYYBEE a bit bias on that lol) but her ears are not like mine were. I think the parents did the right thing for her and I do think at that age she knew what she wanted and that it would make her happy. Its better than her wanting breast implants!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times
Nothing wrong with it. The real issue is the bullies, why wasn't there any type of intervention? Our society is too tolerant of bullies.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:00 AM

37,043 posts, read 41,975,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
So I guess you really know them good enough to know why they did it?

busta
I don't have to know them, I read the story.
I have no problem with plastic surgery, if you look funny to yourself or others and don't like that then do something about it. I'm only saying that this isn't a "bullying" story, it's a "I don't like my nose and everyone knows it" story. That's often how "victims" are made.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,403,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Absolutely.

This girl had broken her nose twice BTW, which is what led to the bump in the first place. Why should she have to live with the after affects of an accident?
How does that build character?
The same can be said for living with the result of genetics, when you think about it. You ene up with what you end up with in both cases.

I have a dd who swears she's getting plastic surgery for her ears on her 18th birthday. She doesn't like them and she didn't pick them. I asked her what she'll do if her daughter inherits those ears. She looked at me, hopfully, and said "Let her get plastic surgery at 13????".

If she were being teased about her ears, I'd get the surgery. She isn't so we'll wait until she's fully grown.

I'm ok with plastic surgery to fix something you feel isn't right. I'm against if you're trying to change yourself into someone else.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 PM

531 posts, read 2,892,387 times
I can see having this or something similar done for my kids if necessary, but I can assure you that the media would not know about it. I can only assume that the family contacted the media? What the heck?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting