Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times

Advertisements

Nicolette Taylor, 13 Year-Old Girl, Gets Nose Job To Avoid School Bullying (VIDEO)

Quote:
After enduring online harassment and name-calling multiple times a week because of the shape of her nose, Nicolette Taylor, a 13 year-old from Long Island decided to take drastic action: plastic surgery, Nightline reported.

With her parents' blessing, Taylor went under the knife ... and got a new nose.
I find this appalling. What lesson is being taught here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Is this different from a baby with a harelip, though? That's cosmetic.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
I think I'd rather be outraged by the bullies, than this girl.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Nicolette Taylor, 13 Year-Old Girl, Gets Nose Job To Avoid School Bullying (VIDEO)

I find this appalling. What lesson is being taught here?

I would do the same thing for my kid! Lessons learned? For whom? While your kid is suffering, maybe suicidal, you are teaching other people a lesson? Kids who probably don;t give a damn anyways. No, I am all for it.
People are mean and sometimes you have to do something drastic to be able live a "normal life". As much as it sucks, that just how it is.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think I'd rather be outraged by the bullies, than this girl.
Absolutely.

This girl had broken her nose twice BTW, which is what led to the bump in the first place. Why should she have to live with the after affects of an accident?
How does that build character?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I broke my nose when I was about 5/6/7 years old. I lost control going down a hill to the falls behind my house and my face hit smack into a pine tree. I didn't even brace the impact with my hands.

Nobody teased me but I sort of regret never getting it fixed at some point in my life. I did have one person comment on it when I was a young adult. I couldn't even imagine what a younger child would feel like if they had to endure that type of thing on a regular basis.

I agree with Mattie. This is correcting an injury from an accident. I view it no different than splastic surgery for a child who is a burn victim.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,700 times
It shouldn't be appalling that a girl gets plastic surgery to correct an injury. It should be appalling that people were constantly harassing her about her nose. It's all great talking about standing up for yourself and being happy with your looks but who actually wants to endure that kind of teasing day after day if it's possible to stop it? Braces are cosmetic but usually people aren't condemned for straightening their teeth.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,356 times
I would help my daughter not so much because of the bullying, but because of the self image issues. If it would help boost her self esteem, then yes I would have the nose job done.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,249 times
I think it's sad that the girl felt forced to do this because of bullying, and the worst part is that I'm not convinced this will really change the situation at all. The sad fact is that she's already become a victim, and kids that age are cruel and are not quick to change their behaviours - once someone's been ostracized as an outcast, it's not easy to change that status. Is it really as simple as she'll come in with a new nose and automatically be welcomed in? Unlikely; it's much more likely that she'll be teased even more for having done the surgery in the first place. They'll prey on the fact that her nose was so bad in the first place that she needed surgery. It'll be like she has publicly admitted her weakness, which is what bullying is really all about - it's not about looks for the most part, much more so about power dynamics and confidence. A bunch of the more popular girls in our school weren't even pretty, if not downright unattractive, chubby, big noses, you name it. Didn't stop them from being queen bees - they had the confidence or whatever it is. We had a new girl transfer in grade 11 who was extremely pretty, beautiful face, playboy-type figure, very nice and friendly, not stuck-up, bitchy, mean or slutty at the least - she got hell for a while from jealous girls who spread insults and rumours, and even the boys who openly sexually harassed her with each step and progressed to dirty insults when she wasn't interested in being an easy lay. It's not about looks, brains, athletics or anything else - it's that kids aren't being raised properly and can be truly disgusting beings. I really hope things will turn around for Nicolette; but I think her best option is to switch schools and communities if she wants to truly make a fresh start with her new look and hopefully the confidence that stems from it.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,294 times
I too worry that this will certainly not be the end of the bullying for this kid, but I would not hesitate to have an injury corrected. I agree that the bullies' behavior is what is appalling here, not getting the corrective surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting