Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Well you all might find this a bit amusing. I put on Facebook yesterday that my husband and I found an awesome deal on a nice rocker at Home Depot that will go on our porch. It was normally a 100 bucks and I got it for 20 (end of the year clearance). So I thought I would share my great find. Not even thinking about it. I got a private message from GS mom saying, "Its nice you could get a rocker but not some cookies."

So ya....I replied quite honestly to that comment. I went off on her but in respectful way. She sent me another message apologizing over and over. She was just kidding she said. She also said she totally underestimated the shipping last year and during the mist of it all she lost her job. She spent money she didn't have shipping out tons of cookies so this year she is requesting people pay that part too. Whatever. I feel for her that she lost her job but still its only common sense that shipping out tons of cookies is gonna cost some bucks. Plus I told her not to in the first place. What a nut but if she thinks she can tell me what I spend my money on, oh nooo.

OMG. Crazy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
That is crazy, fallingwater!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Well you all might find this a bit amusing. I put on Facebook yesterday that my husband and I found an awesome deal on a nice rocker at Home Depot that will go on our porch. It was normally a 100 bucks and I got it for 20 (end of the year clearance). So I thought I would share my great find. Not even thinking about it. I got a private message from GS mom saying, "Its nice you could get a rocker but not some cookies."

So ya....I replied quite honestly to that comment. I went off on her but in respectful way. She sent me another message apologizing over and over. She was just kidding she said. She also said she totally underestimated the shipping last year and during the mist of it all she lost her job. She spent money she didn't have shipping out tons of cookies so this year she is requesting people pay that part too. Whatever. I feel for her that she lost her job but still its only common sense that shipping out tons of cookies is gonna cost some bucks. Plus I told her not to in the first place. What a nut but if she thinks she can tell me what I spend my money on, oh nooo.
WOW. That is nuts. I see in your OP that she is a mere acquaintance. Can you just cut that woman from your life? Defriend her on FB at the very least.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:10 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
As much as I love GS chocolate mint cookies...

I'll be telling hubby that he doesn't have to get them for me anymore from his co-worker's daughter. The manufacturer has raised the prices more and more, and reduced the total volume of the box more and more, every year. The GS get the same amount of money from a purchase as they've gotten for years, and the manufacturer has gotten richer and richer from the sales. The prizes to the "winning" GS have become outrageous to the extent that all this sale does, is encourage "winning" and greed. It was always that way, somewhat, but it's even worse now that you're a target for their sales push if your only contact with them after years of moving away is e-mail.

I'll donate directly to the GSs when the're NOT selling cookies, when they return to teaching the girls scouting. Til then, I'm done with them. It's sad, really. I was a brownie, then a scout, and have some awesome memories of it. But selling those cookies was -not- among the list of good memories. It sounds like it's gotten dozens of times worse over the years.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
WOW. That is nuts. I see in your OP that she is a mere acquaintance. Can you just cut that woman from your life? Defriend her on FB at the very least.
Yes I can. Its one of those deals where she is friends with a bunch other people I am friends with. It was an obligation type thing. I met her a bunch of the friends for lunch one time and for whatever she reason she latched onto me. I must have that sucker look. lol. All was good for a few years until her kids got into GS. She was always a bit odd, the type that shares too much, etc. I have actually been thinking about deleting Facebook altogether. This would solve my problem. It has changed a lot in the past year and I find its more of a hassle overall. The people I do really like also have had issues and either they have deleted their accounts or don't use it anymore. Now Im left with the nutters.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Yeah, sounds like you could totally be talking about the acquaintance I was referring to. It's like clockwork. They'll do their usual pushing. You dare take a stand. They profusely apologize, usually over and over sweetly. And often throw in a "just kidding" after their passive-aggressive remarks (sorry... "jokes") for good measure.

My acquaintance recently took me for a pushover. Asked me to do something, I'm like "sure." She starts right in. Basically directing me like Orson Welles. I don't reply for a couple of days. But I did read the messages, all the while with this face... O_o. She sends repeated messages. Pushy. Snappy. Telling me what to do. "Are you there? Why aren't you answering?"

So I get on at my leisure a couple days later and politely tell her exactly where to fly. Then comes the barrage of apologies, just kiddings, let's talk on the phone in a couple of weeks... when she realized she'd completely took me for the wrong kind of person.

Yeah, she hasn't been saying much to me. Sure as hell hasn't asked me to do anything.
Maybe its the same chick! LOL. You aren't lying this is totally passive aggressive behavior. What a PITA.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:

That's just crazy! She must be crazy over-competitive, or something. I hate selling things. Hate it. Because I know how it feels to be asked to buy something you really don't want.

The prize for selling x number of items at my kids' school is a limo ride to lunch. Some of the parents buy all the items so their kid can get the prize. Not me. No way.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I'll be telling hubby that he doesn't have to get them for me anymore from his co-worker's daughter. The manufacturer has raised the prices more and more, and reduced the total volume of the box more and more, every year. The GS get the same amount of money from a purchase as they've gotten for years, and the manufacturer has gotten richer and richer from the sales. The prizes to the "winning" GS have become outrageous to the extent that all this sale does, is encourage "winning" and greed. It was always that way, somewhat, but it's even worse now that you're a target for their sales push if your only contact with them after years of moving away is e-mail.

I'll donate directly to the GSs when the're NOT selling cookies, when they return to teaching the girls scouting. Til then, I'm done with them. It's sad, really. I was a brownie, then a scout, and have some awesome memories of it. But selling those cookies was -not- among the list of good memories. It sounds like it's gotten dozens of times worse over the years.
You are right that the prices have gone up and the volume has gone down, but you are wrong about the profits. Girl scouts make quite a bit from the sales. The amount the councils and troops get has gone up as the price has gone up.

Note that the price of the cookies is determined by the local councils, not by the national organization, so there is some variation in price. The troop money, btw, is used for activities the girls want to do. We just spent a large chunk of the money from last year on a trip to Moody Gardens (2.5 days, 2 nights). The girls decided on that. We have also used the money to pay for camping trips where the girls do horseback riding, canoeing, archery, etc.
On the trips we take, the adults pay their own way, but the girls go free with our cookie money. The other thing cookie money is used for is to pay for earned awards (badges, pins, etc.) and for supplies for crafts.

Girl Scout Cookies FAQs

Quote:
Q: When I buy Girl Scout Cookies, where does the money go?

A: With every purchase, approximately 70% of the proceeds stays in the local Girl Scout council to provide a portion of the resources needed to support Girl Scouting in that area, including the portion that goes directly to the group selling the cookies. The balance goes directly to the baker to pay for the cookies.
The local council keeps a good portion of this money and the troops get about 10% to 20%. Local Councils provide many services to the troops and run the local girl scout camps. Cookie money is a large part of their revenue.

I found this link to the history of cookie sales which I think is a fun read.

The History of Girl Scout Cookies

Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Try the mint Oreo Fudge Cremes-huge package and tastes better than Thin Mints.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The individual troop only gets around 50-60 cents per box. And around here, it's the parents who push the cookies because they want their girls to win the prize. It's all about the prize, for the parents. The girls whose parents encourage to actually learn from the experience, are guaranteed to lose, because the girls whose parents do all the work for them, will sell the most cookies. We have girls whose parents dole out huge funds to buy cases and cases of cookies, and then when they come in, they have sales outside the supermarket to peddle them off to customers.

It might sound like a nice convenience, but think about what's happening - the kids are learning how to be cashiers. And at that point, they also already know who won the prize. So that girl scout selling at the supermarket might be the loser - but she's stuck selling those boxes anyway because mom bought 40 cases of them in the hopes that she'd be the big winner.

Around here they're $4.50 for a box too. No small chunk of change for 28 cookies not much bigger than a silver dollar in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting