Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,223,586 times

Advertisements

I was driving through my suburb the other day when I saw two kids sitting at a table they had set up on the footpath selling something.

So I stopped and blow me down if it was not girl guides. So I bought a pack of their cookies and took them home as a treat for the family.

The OP's issue would not have happened if the kids did the selling and not the parents. Maybe mom should dress as a girl guide and go along to the group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM

167 posts, read 476,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So who is doing the selling then? If it is your daughter, who is she selling to? Is she the one addressing potential buyers or is she sitting there while the adults do the work?

I only ask because I've seen cookie tables set up outside of many businesses. A good chunk of the time, the mothers are the ones conducting the business while the girls are sitting there playing on their DS's.
That would be awful to see indeed. Our daughter will be doing what she needs to be doing at the local booths. Family out of state will be asked and local friends but that's about it. Whatever she gets from that will be it. We probably will have a DS with us, but it will be for me to play. I'm trying to finish some achievements with my Plants vs. Zombies.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:00 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,267,377 times
I'd buy a box locally send them to her with a note telling her, " I know you didn't request these, but thought you'd enjoy them anyway. Oh, and by-the-way, shipping was $XX.xx. Talk to ya soon.", and be done with the whole thing.
Especially since you really aren't close friends, I think she had some nerve, and would have refused the package.
Good luck.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,792,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So who is doing the selling then? If it is your daughter, who is she selling to? Is she the one addressing potential buyers or is she sitting there while the adults do the work?

I only ask because I've seen cookie tables set up outside of many businesses. A good chunk of the time, the mothers are the ones conducting the business while the girls are sitting there playing on their DS's.
We don't allow that in our troop. The moms and troop leaders supervise, but the girls do the selling. The exception is that an adult handles the cash although when my kids were teenagers, they were allowed to do that too.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,792,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I don't know the case, but I would ask:
Was the girl alone or with friends?
How old was the girl?
Was she taught to not go inside anyone's house as a strict rule?
What time of day was this?
Was an adult nearby to supervise/assist?

I still maintain that if a kid is older (like over 8) then going out with friends as a team is safe, during daylight hours. If the kid is younger, or alone, them mom might follow along in the car like my mom did. Sometimes a few moms would hang out together in the car and shoot the breeze, and wait at the end of each block while we went door to door.
Again, the permission slip says moms supervise which means that mom usually walks with the girl. At older ages if kids go together, it *might* be ok in their own neighborhood, but the problem then becomes how to divy up the sales.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,191,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Again, the permission slip says moms supervise which means that mom usually walks with the girl. At older ages if kids go together, it *might* be ok in their own neighborhood, but the problem then becomes how to divy up the sales.
Wouldn't this be another lesson learned though?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,061,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Off-topic - but I would, if they had anything affordable! My nephew's selling, we can order it online - but there's nothing I want under $40!! I sent the company an email last year, suggesting they package things differently, and offer smaller packs for $15 or $20. They'd sell more, for sure! It seems like with our economy, especially, they'd want to make sure more people could afford to buy something.

Back to the thread topic - A polite, "No, thank you, I'm not interested" will work. You don't owe her an explanation at all.
No kidding, huh! My son is a scout too and I didn't even want to ask anyone to by anything because it was so expensive!

OP, this person is too pushy. I don't see anything wrong with sending one e-mail asking if you want to buy, but if you politely say no, that needs to be the end of it.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,325,490 times
I always told my parents, who lived 1500 miles away from us, to buy their GS cookies from the local girls and think of it as doing something for Girl Scouting in general. I know the scouts encourage kids to sell to out of town family, but really that is nuts. In these days of computers, you'd think they could work it out so that a sale in Pennsylvania could be credited to a scout in Colorado, or they could order from my kids in CO, and a local kid could deliver the cookies, something like that.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,096,390 times
I WISH I could get the cookies all year long!

I'm down to 2 boxes of thin mints!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 PM

37,058 posts, read 42,023,443 times
This stuff always cracks me up. I don't have a problem saying "no" and I don't know why anyone else does either. I usually buy 2 boxes a year just for the memories.

I was actually a GS leader with another woman for 2 years long ago. We didn't encourage selling and my own daughter only sold to me and the grandparents. We didn't have the most active troop ever but nobody complained .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting