Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 08:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
When I was in Girl Scouts it was the buddy rule. Now I hear you are not allowed to sell door to door under any circumstances.
That's not correct. It may be in some particular councils, but the girls go door to door in ours. The only ones who can't are the kindergarten and 1st graders (they didn't have k when my kids were in scouts, but they do now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have a friend, okay...more of an acquaintance that has her daughters in Girl Scouts. This woman lives a couple states away and sent me a message asking if I would buy cookies. I hate when parents bug me to buy that kind of stuff. I understand its a hassle and when my son was in Boy Scouts and other groups I had to sell the stuff too. Most of the time, I just bought the minimum or donated the money because I hate the hassle of asking people. So I told my friend that I wasn't really interested in the cookies (as I had been nailed twice already at the local Lowe's) but told her that I would send a check and she could buy the cookies and have them for herself and family. I just didn't want more junk in the house and truly didn't see the point in having them shipped to me on top of it.

She INSISTED that she mail them to me. I told her no, just take my check and keep the cookies. I bought 30 dollars worth and forgot about it. My good deed was done I thought. About a month or so later I get a package in the mail. Yep, its the damn cookies. 30 freaking dollars worth. So I called her up and thanked her but letting her know it wasn't necessary. She said she appreciated it and her daughter was the highest seller in her troop. Then she goes on to say that another friend that lives out of state saw how much she spent on shipping and offered to pay for that as well. She kept saying it and I know it was a huge hint for me to chip in for the shipping which ended up being almost 8 dollars. When I got the box and saw the postage on it, I did think about sending her another check but it annoyed me. I told her not to send them and she did anyway. She brought it up one more time during another conversation. I cut her short and refused to deal with it. Overall she is an okay person, I don't see the friendship going beyond acquaintances though.

Well its that time of year again. I just got a message from her asking if Im interested in some cookies. She also threw in that she would be charging people for shipping this year since last year she spent too much on it. I haven't replied yet and its only been 2 days. I just got a second reminder today about the damn cookies. Sheesh...pushy. Her daughter seems like a nice kid and I don't mind helping her out but I didn't find the first experience all that great. I got a real problem with people trying to make me feel like a cheap arse when in fact, i was quite generous to begin with. How would you respond to her second request? I don't want to be nasty but I feel like anytime she mentions these cookies its a jab.

$30?? Push-over much?

Seriously... you were more than generous, but you are letting this pushy woman do what she does best - PUSH. I am acquaintances with someone like that myself. They are nice people, but boy they don't take no for an answer. And they walk that tightrope between assertive and aggressive all the time. Always pushy. (Doesn't it always seem like they want you to do something? ) If you give these people any inkling you can be pushed/persuaded/whatever, they WILL. They're not necessarily bad people, but they need to learn to be assertive as opposed to aggressive. They're often passive-aggressive, as well. They literally prey on people like you. I don't think they realize it either. They push whomever allows themselves to be pushed. They want what they want when they want it, they nag, they're blunt... they take charge. If someone doesn't put up with it they quickly move on to the next person. But as soon as you indicate you are a push-over, they'll stick to you.

You need to be upfront with her. Rather than pay the $8 shipping last year you should've said, "No, I don't owe you any shipping, because I clearly told you to keep the cookies and enjoy them." And then refused to pay up.
And $30 was way too much anyway. For this pushy woman, even a $10 dollar order would've been PLENTY.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:49 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times
Quote:
I have a friend, okay...more of an acquaintance that has her daughters in Girl Scouts. This woman lives a couple states away and sent me a message asking if I would buy cookies. I hate when parents bug me to buy that kind of stuff. I understand its a hassle and when my son was in Boy Scouts and other groups I had to sell the stuff too. Most of the time, I just bought the minimum or donated the money because I hate the hassle of asking people. So I told my friend that I wasn't really interested in the cookies (as I had been nailed twice already at the local Lowe's) but told her that I would send a check and she could buy the cookies and have them for herself and family. I just didn't want more junk in the house and truly didn't see the point in having them shipped to me on top of it.

She INSISTED that she mail them to me. I told her no, just take my check and keep the cookies. I bought 30 dollars worth and forgot about it. My good deed was done I thought. About a month or so later I get a package in the mail. Yep, its the damn cookies. 30 freaking dollars worth. So I called her up and thanked her but letting her know it wasn't necessary. She said she appreciated it and her daughter was the highest seller in her troop. Then she goes on to say that another friend that lives out of state saw how much she spent on shipping and offered to pay for that as well. She kept saying it and I know it was a huge hint for me to chip in for the shipping which ended up being almost 8 dollars. When I got the box and saw the postage on it, I did think about sending her another check but it annoyed me. I told her not to send them and she did anyway. She brought it up one more time during another conversation. I cut her short and refused to deal with it. Overall she is an okay person, I don't see the friendship going beyond acquaintances though.

Well its that time of year again. I just got a message from her asking if Im interested in some cookies. She also threw in that she would be charging people for shipping this year since last year she spent too much on it. I haven't replied yet and its only been 2 days. I just got a second reminder today about the damn cookies. Sheesh...pushy. Her daughter seems like a nice kid and I don't mind helping her out but I didn't find the first experience all that great. I got a real problem with people trying to make me feel like a cheap arse when in fact, i was quite generous to begin with. How would you respond to her second request? I don't want to be nasty but I feel like anytime she mentions these cookies its a jab.
Wow, that was horrible that she "forced" them on you. We live out of state from our family so my child doesn't even ask them anymore due to the shipping cost that I would be paying.
It's too bad that she missed an opportunity to use your $30 toward the "gifts of sharing" that has been available for the past few years. She could have given the cookies to a local organization or like we did, we sent those to the troops. The military troop that received them sent a letter to the girls thanking them for the cookies; the girls were thrilled.
If you are ever caught in that position again, you could do that.
FYI, in my years as a Leader, the hardest of it all has been dealing with the parents. I hope this experience hasn't tainted your entire opinion of Girl Scouts.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Oh gods....there is one of those in every group. A project for the 'KIDS' that some parents get more involved in and win for them by doing all the work.
I don't know whatever happened to going door-to-door like I did in the late '80s. I'm not trying to sound like an old wise "well back in my day" fogey here. The late 1980s was NOT that long ago, which is completely my point. My Brownie troop made it like game - who could get out there and sell the most. Even back then I didn't go alone. My mom followed in her car. I did that in the dead of winter, northern Wisconsin. I definitely earned my badges. I never see that nowadays. I saw even less of it when I was a teen in the '90s. I sold some stuff for my choir class. I got out there and went door-to-door... didn't even occur to me to try and get my mom or stepdad to help. (And then I delivered it all in my very own car this time, because I could drive.) But even then, I would get a lot of comments like, "It's nice to see a girl out and about going door-to-door like this" - as if it had become rare.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
$30?? Push-over much?

Seriously... you were more than generous, but you are letting this pushy woman do what she does best - PUSH. I am acquaintances with someone like that myself. They are nice people, but boy they don't take no for an answer. And they walk that tightrope between assertive and aggressive all the time. Always pushy. (Doesn't it always seem like they want you to do something? ) If you give these people any inkling you can be pushed/persuaded/whatever, they WILL. They're not necessarily bad people, but they need to learn to be assertive as opposed to aggressive. They're often passive-aggressive, as well. They literally prey on people like you. I don't think they realize it either. They push whomever allows themselves to be pushed. They want what they want when they want it, they nag, they're blunt... they take charge. If someone doesn't put up with it they quickly move on to the next person. But as soon as you indicate you are a push-over, they'll stick to you.

You need to be upfront with her. Rather than pay the $8 shipping last year you should've said, "No, I don't owe you any shipping, because I clearly told you to keep the cookies and enjoy them." And then refused to pay up.
And $30 was way too much anyway. For this pushy woman, even a $10 dollar order would've been PLENTY.
I didn't pay for shipping last year. As far as the 30 bucks go, I had it and didn't think it was a big deal split between her two daughters. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Wow, that was horrible that she "forced" them on you. We live out of state from our family so my child doesn't even ask them anymore due to the shipping cost that I would be paying.
It's too bad that she missed an opportunity to use your $30 toward the "gifts of sharing" that has been available for the past few years. She could have given the cookies to a local organization or like we did, we sent those to the troops. The military troop that received them sent a letter to the girls thanking them for the cookies; the girls were thrilled.
If you are ever caught in that position again, you could do that.
FYI, in my years as a Leader, the hardest of it all has been dealing with the parents. I hope this experience hasn't tainted your entire opinion of Girl Scouts.
No, not at all. I look at the source. I agree with others that GS have a good thing by selling a product that is affordable. I know when my son was a BS, the darn popcorn was expensive and to be honest, I thought it was terrible. We just bought some popcorn from a BS the other day. He came to our door. The cheapest thing he had on the list was 10 bucks.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Default Amusing update!

Well you all might find this a bit amusing. I put on Facebook yesterday that my husband and I found an awesome deal on a nice rocker at Home Depot that will go on our porch. It was normally a 100 bucks and I got it for 20 (end of the year clearance). So I thought I would share my great find. Not even thinking about it. I got a private message from GS mom saying, "Its nice you could get a rocker but not some cookies."

So ya....I replied quite honestly to that comment. I went off on her but in respectful way. She sent me another message apologizing over and over. She was just kidding she said. She also said she totally underestimated the shipping last year and during the mist of it all she lost her job. She spent money she didn't have shipping out tons of cookies so this year she is requesting people pay that part too. Whatever. I feel for her that she lost her job but still its only common sense that shipping out tons of cookies is gonna cost some bucks. Plus I told her not to in the first place. What a nut but if she thinks she can tell me what I spend my money on, oh nooo.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I didn't pay for shipping last year. As far as the 30 bucks go, I had it and didn't think it was a big deal split between her two daughters. Thanks for your input.
Pfft. I think it is. Your $30. I guess if you think it was well-spent that's all that matters.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Well you all might find this a bit amusing. I put on Facebook yesterday that my husband and I found an awesome deal on a nice rocker at Home Depot that will go on our porch. It was normally a 100 bucks and I got it for 20 (end of the year clearance). So I thought I would share my great find. Not even thinking about it. I got a private message from GS mom saying, "Its nice you could get a rocker but not some cookies."

So ya....I replied quite honestly to that comment. I went off on her but in respectful way. She sent me another message apologizing over and over. She was just kidding she said. She also said she totally underestimated the shipping last year and during the mist of it all she lost her job. She spent money she didn't have shipping out tons of cookies so this year she is requesting people pay that part too. Whatever. I feel for her that she lost her job but still its only common sense that shipping out tons of cookies is gonna cost some bucks. Plus I told her not to in the first place.

What a nut but if she thinks she can tell me what I spend my money on, oh nooo.
Yeah, sounds like you could totally be talking about the acquaintance I was referring to. It's like clockwork. They'll do their usual pushing. You dare take a stand. They profusely apologize, usually over and over sweetly. And often throw in a "just kidding" after their passive-aggressive remarks (sorry... "jokes") for good measure.

My acquaintance recently took me for a pushover. Asked me to do something, I'm like "sure." She starts right in. Basically directing me like Orson Welles. I don't reply for a couple of days. But I did read the messages, all the while with this face... O_o. She sends repeated messages. Pushy. Snappy. Telling me what to do. "Are you there? Why aren't you answering?"

So I get on at my leisure a couple days later and politely tell her exactly where to fly. Then comes the barrage of apologies, just kiddings, let's talk on the phone in a couple of weeks... when she realized she'd completely took me for the wrong kind of person.

Yeah, she hasn't been saying much to me. Sure as hell hasn't asked me to do anything.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:53 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
She has some nerve! I'm glad you went of on her -- I don't know if I could have been as respectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting