Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,237,164 times

Advertisements

Another thread about promoting friendships with children of other races, sparked this, the converse.

We are a multi cultural family and we have always lived in diverse areas. We feel more comfortable that way. We never forced our kids to be friends with anyone, but a few times when they were younger we discouraged relationships that we thought were on healthy.

Because our daughter was adopted from Korea, we looked for a summer camp that was diverse and where it was not unusual to see a blond European boy with green eyes, have a sister with dark brown hair and eyes and Asian features. We chose a camp that was diverse and there our children were taken for what they are - brother and sister. There were other sib groups there that were multi racial and the camp owner had several multi racial adopted children as well as biological kids.

Our son went to college this fall for the first time. He lives in a dorm. His first room mate was hardly ever there and was nice, but decided to move home since he lived close to the school and wasn't really using the room. My son told us that he asked his friend Josh to move in rather than take the room mate that the university assigned him. He chose his friend Josh who lived in a dorm that was far from the College of Fine Arts. Our son's room is also a popular hangout and has a great view of the city at night.

When I drove him out to Ohio, I saw that Josh was an African American. He never mentioned it. We just knew that Josh was one of the "new friend names" that came up a lot at Thanksgiving, and that he had a lot in common with him. We are glad that our children chose their friends without regard to race.

However, not everyone feels this way. How do you feel about this? I am curious to know. There must be a lot of different points of view on this subject and I'd be interested to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Default Would you be upset if your child was good friends with a person of another race?

No.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,544 times
I think as the generations pass race is less and less important. I mean, look at the president of the USA! Race seems to matter mostly to the media. The same people who preach that we are all the same and equal, but quick to point out that we are not equal. I make sure my kids are aware of the racist media and the pandering politicians and to judge by the content of ones character. So, to answer the question, I have NO problem with my children being friends with other races. I do have a problem with my children being friends with low life bottom feeder drug addicts which come in all shapes and colors.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,697,263 times
The ideal situation would be to have at least one friend from each of the 14 different race groups listed in the census. And somehow some mixed gender as well. And of course include straight and gays. Now this is not a joke. Such a mix would give the best possible chance.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,327,483 times
Please tell me this is some sort of gag.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
When our children were in kindergarten we enrolled them in a city school as "white, suburban students enrolled in the Chapter 220 program to enhance the racial balance of city schools" (yes, that is what that group of students were called). Needless to say my husband and I strongly felt that our children should be friends with children of all races.

We provided the opportunity and our children were then allowed to choose whoever they wanted to choose as friends.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Why do you say that? because it is a non issue with you or because it is such an issue? I'm hoping it is a non issue and that you are surprised the question would even be asked. But surely you know there still are people who would discourage their children from associating with people of different races. Hard to believe but still many parents who would be uncomfortable even in non romantic relationships and you better believe if romance is involved there are plenty of parents who would have fits if a SO is of a different race.
In our family we have white, Korean, Vietnamese, Puerto Rican, Iranian and lord only knows what else. One big melting pot and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Another thread about promoting friendships with children of other races, sparked this, the converse.

We are a multi cultural family and we have always lived in diverse areas. We feel more comfortable that way. We never forced our kids to be friends with anyone, but a few times when they were younger we discouraged relationships that we thought were on healthy.

Because our daughter was adopted from Korea, we looked for a summer camp that was diverse and where it was not unusual to see a blond European boy with green eyes, have a sister with dark brown hair and eyes and Asian features. We chose a camp that was diverse and there our children were taken for what they are - brother and sister. There were other sib groups there that were multi racial and the camp owner had several multi racial adopted children as well as biological kids.

Our son went to college this fall for the first time. He lives in a dorm. His first room mate was hardly ever there and was nice, but decided to move home since he lived close to the school and wasn't really using the room. My son told us that he asked his friend Josh to move in rather than take the room mate that the university assigned him. He chose his friend Josh who lived in a dorm that was far from the College of Fine Arts. Our son's room is also a popular hangout and has a great view of the city at night.

When I drove him out to Ohio, I saw that Josh was an African American. He never mentioned it. We just knew that Josh was one of the "new friend names" that came up a lot at Thanksgiving, and that he had a lot in common with him. We are glad that our children chose their friends without regard to race.

However, not everyone feels this way. How do you feel about this? I am curious to know. There must be a lot of different points of view on this subject and I'd be interested to hear them.
She already is. Her first friend, the same-age child who lived across the hall in our first apartment, was black. There were a lot of different races living in our building, and the kids all played together. We had biracial kids, a Korean kid, two girls whose parents were from Kenya, and my blond little Dutch/Irish kid.

Now 21, my daughter is good friends still with one of my former girl scouts, whose mother is from Goa, India, and who married a German-American from my hometown. My niece, the cousin closest in age to my daughter is black/white biracial. And my daughter is a Mandarin and Linguistics major, so she spent time in China and has Asian friends here in the US and over there.

I think it also helped that I live in a place (NJ) where there are a lot of different races to begin with.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
No

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,237,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Do you mean my original question? If so, no, it is not some kind of a joke. Racism still exists , and I have seen it on this forum. The question is not a joke at all. And I am white with light brown hair ( what is left of it) and blue eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting