Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times

Advertisements

This mother:

A sneak peak at a "very good" day! - YouTube

Just found out that her now 2 1/2 year old son has Type 1 Diabetes. I've been following her mommy vlogs on YouTube for a long time and I'm heartbroken for her.

She has been having difficulties with him since he was born though, as you can see. This video is him at about five months old.

If you read her heartbreaking video description it says that "she hopes the next month will mark the end of his difficult phase"... obviously it didn't. His babyhood colic eventually morphed into other behaviorial difficulties as an older child.

For those of you familiar with Type 1 Diabetes in young children - do you think that it's merely been physical comfort from undiagnosed diabetes all this time? I have personally found his behavior kind of odd all along. Because she is obviously a great mother. It's not a Supernanny-type situation. And he doesn't seem like a brat to me, honestly. He's very intelligent and well-spoken for two and a half years old. He doesn't seem manipulative or anything like that... none of that stuff.

Only in recent weeks has he displayed the alarming symptoms like feeling ill and being extremely thirsty. She also made a video very recently where he made a passing remark that he was hungry and the dad said, "We just had lunch, buddy." (Kind of alarming stuff now, knowing what he's got.)

Thoughts? She's been tired out by this guy since he was born. I realize some kids are just like that, no rhyme or reason. But given his diagnosis, do you think it was related in any way? I don't know much about Type 1 Diabetes.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,546 times
I don't think so. I have four boys, one whom is a Type I diabetic. He is also an identical twin. If this boys behavior was in anyway related to the Diabetes it would've changed drastically as soon as he was diagnosed and on insulin therapy. I do know my son gets agitated and cross when his sugars are low or high but not to an extent that its out of the norm. She seems to be an over-protective mother with maybe a bit of munchousens (sp?). This is also something that I have noticed about moms of Diabetic children, the need to protect more than usual. My husband and I took the "live with it and don't let it control your life, you control it" idea which worked out best for us. The main thing that this mom needs to understand is that diabetes is not a death sentence, it's the gravel road in life instead of the smooth highway.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I don't think so. I have four boys, one whom is a Type I diabetic. He is also an identical twin. If this boys behavior was in anyway related to the Diabetes it would've changed drastically as soon as he was diagnosed and on insulin therapy. I do know my son gets agitated and cross when his sugars are low or high but not to an extent that its out of the norm. She seems to be an over-protective mother with maybe a bit of munchousens (sp?). This is also something that I have noticed about moms of Diabetic children, the need to protect more than usual. My husband and I took the "live with it and don't let it control your life, you control it" idea which worked out best for us. The main thing that this mom needs to understand is that diabetes is not a death sentence, it's the gravel road in life instead of the smooth highway.
Thanks for your imput! I was just wondering if it might've been related to his later diabetes diagnosis (which just happened in the past couple of weeks, I believe). I know embarrassingly little about juvenile diabetes.

Well... I don't agree with everything she does (or doesn't do), but I don't agree with everything ANY of the moms on YouTube do. But overall, she's a good mother. I think your assumption is pretty harsh. She's not constantly rushing her kid to the hospital or anything. And she doesn't strike me as overprotective at all.

I DO think this though: She and her husband (who also appears in a lot of videos) are naturally laidback people. Go to church. Very organized. You should see their monthly budgeting. Wow. They seem very nice. So, given that, I think that she does tend to make a little too much of his rambunctious personality. I'm not a parent quite yet, but I know bratty kids. (i.e. My cousins when they were little!) Her little guy is not a brat.

He's referred to repeatedly as a "handful." And that might be true right now. But it's like she affirms it repeatedly. And there was even a vlog from months ago where she breaks down weeping a bit and says, "I guess I have to accept this is just the way he is." ...as if his rambunctious personality was a disease.

Colicky, I get that. Hard stuff. But today he just seems like little boy who doesn't wind down, that's all. And it went right from the colic into the energizer bunny stage. And she just needs a break. That's all I put the crying vlog down to. I didn't believe for a second her child was really a problem.

He's cute as heck. I have to admit it kind of bothers me sometimes, because even prior to the diabetes she was already kind of acting as if there was something wrong with him... maybe their new situation will be a wake-up call to count their blessings a little more.

She just had a second baby. She said in a vlog, "I think this is how it'll always be. He (new one) will be our easy child and he (the older one) will be our handful." Well...there's the spirit. Almost exact wording - "he'll probably always be our difficult child." No kidding... that irked me, admittedly.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:08 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,003 times
Sadly, I think that there may be more than just diabetes going on. This child seems like maybe he might have some sensory issues/autism. My son was like that as a infant/toddler. And at first suspected diabetes, but now we know it's more autism. I hope she gets the help she needs.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:46 PM

Nakita the Cat - YouTube

This is him today. This posted about a week ago. He is 2 1/2 years old. He's not autistic. He's really well-spoken for a child his age, I think.

Notice what he says about wanting to eat, right after they had just had lunch. I find that kind of alarming. And I think they found out he had diabetes the next day. They were just bringing their baby in for his 8 week check-up, but after she relayed the symptoms to the doctor, and they took a little blood, the appointment wasn't about the baby anymore.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post

Nakita the Cat - YouTube

This is him today. This posted about a week ago. He is 2 1/2 years old. He's not autistic. He's really well-spoken for a child his age, I think.

Notice what he says about wanting to eat, right after they had just had lunch. I find that kind of alarming. And I think they found out he had diabetes the next day. They were just bringing their baby in for his 8 week check-up, but after she relayed the symptoms to the doctor, and they took a little blood, the appointment wasn't about the baby anymore.

Just because he is well spoken does not rule out autism or aspergers. I know several children on the spectrum, who are well spoken. I think there is more than Diabetes going on that's just my opinion.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
Just because he is well spoken does not rule out autism or aspergers. I know several children on the spectrum, who are well spoken. I think there is more than Diabetes going on that's just my opinion.
Interesting thing to throw into the mix. She's pretty candid in her vlogs and I would think doctors at check-ups would've brought up the possibility, and she would've mentioned it by now. But I don't know. I suppose anything is possible... but I kind of doubt it, personally. (Did a little quick read-up on aspergers. He doesn't seem to fit anything I glanced over about it. And autism just doesn't quite fit either for me.)

Something does seem a bit off. I don't know if its her parenting, him, or what. The vibe I get is mostly from her. Maybe it's her motherly instinct that's telling her something's wrong which is why she sort of acts like there is. Or maybe she's overreacting to his rambunctious personality (my theory). Either way there's a constant vibe eminating from her like she doesn't think he's quite right.. lol.. although she does seem proud of him.

I enjoy her vlogs but admittedly I do turn to other YouTube mom vids when I want a little break from the "What's up with Henry" ongoing unspoken thing in her vids. Plus, she used to do more interesting videos than what she does now. Interesting educational stuff like meals, cleaning house, budgeting, meal planning, etc.. Now it's mostly just updates on her life. But I do think her vlogs on his diabetes will help a lot of people.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Excuse me while I expose my ignorance. This woman records her son and then posts the videos on Youtube so the whole world can follow along on his private life? Including his medical problems?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-16-2011 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Excuse me while I expose my ignorance. This woman records her son and then posts the videos on Youtube so the whole world can follow along on his private life? Including his medical problems?
Yeah a lot of YouTube moms do that. There's actually a whole community of them. They subscribe to each other, recommend each other, etc. I think it's very educational. It won't be long until I start my own family and I like all the tips. I've gotten a couple good recipes from these ladies too. lol Not to mention, I plan to cloth diaper and breastfeed (if I produce enough milk for that/latching goes well, etc. I DO have a friend whose wife tried breastfeeding with their boys and they wanted no part of it, so.. we'll see what happens... I'm not one of those women who bashes formula feeding, I'm not opposed to it at all), and many of these moms also cloth diaper.

I don't mind it, I think it helps a lot of people, including mothers who think they're all alone when it comes to certain issues. They can see, "Oh this family's going through it too."

The only thing I don't agree with is the ratings and comments. You'd be surprised at all the catty immature people. A mom will post a video of her child's first steps and she'll get five thumbs downs. It's kind of lame. I don't know if I will ever post educational vlogs of my own, but if I do, I won't allow for any of that nonsense. No one will be able to private message me (because some of these moms get nasty comments via private message), and I won't allow ratings.

But like I said I don't know if I would do that at all. I think I would once in a blue moon to educate people. I might show them how to make a recipe (I do that even now.. post pics of stuff I'm making on Facebook), or how to do something if I think it'll educate people... but I don't think I'd ever do an ongoing series. Many of those moms will vlog just to "chat" to her audience. Just to update them on life, as if the audience are her real-life friends. I tend to skip the random "Just a quick update to share what's been going on!" videos. I like the ones where I can learn something, usually. The ones on cooking, organization, meals for toddlers, good baby buys, cleaning green, etc. Stuff like that which interests me. Although I did click on Amy's "Life Challenges" video, because the title caught my attention, and that's how I found out about her son's diagnosis.

Some do take it to odd levels though. There are a few mothers on there who have an address for "fan mail" on their YouTube channels. Kind of weird...

Oh I don't like the Q & A vids either. Where the mom will take questions from viewers. They literally ask stuff like what her favorite color is... it's like, this isn't Teen Beat, I don't really care that in-depth about her personally. Tiger Beat. Whatever the heck that's called. lol

Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Interesting thing to throw into the mix. She's pretty candid in her vlogs and I would think doctors at check-ups would've brought up the possibility, and she would've mentioned it by now. But I don't know. I suppose anything is possible... but I kind of doubt it, personally. (Did a little quick read-up on aspergers. He doesn't seem to fit anything I glanced over about it. And autism just doesn't quite fit either for me.)

Something does seem a bit off. I don't know if its her parenting, him, or what. The vibe I get is mostly from her. Maybe it's her motherly instinct that's telling her something's wrong which is why she sort of acts like there is. Or maybe she's overreacting to his rambunctious personality (my theory). Either way there's a constant vibe eminating from her like she doesn't think he's quite right.. lol.. although she does seem proud of him.

I enjoy her vlogs but admittedly I do turn to other YouTube mom vids when I want a little break from the "What's up with Henry" ongoing unspoken thing in her vids. Plus, she used to do more interesting videos than what she does now. Interesting educational stuff like meals, cleaning house, budgeting, meal planning, etc.. Now it's mostly just updates on her life. But I do think her vlogs on his diabetes will help a lot of people.
If he's higher functioning most doctors won't pick up on it, especially at 2 1/2 years old. My son is more severely autistic, and it took a lot of fighting to get him diagnosed at 26 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting