Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are ignoring some important facts. One, the number of childrens deaths for the 2003-2004 flu season was for anyone under the age of 18. It was not just infants, toddlers or children but in fact included teenagers. The JAMA articles was fairly clear.

What JAMA article are you talking about? Not to mention, you keep conveniently ignoring that 2003-04 was a year of VOLUNTARY reporting for pediatric deaths.

Additionally, I literally have nothing left to say if your are comparing some news articles during one of the biggest media medical hypes of the last few years to a scientific article in JAMA. I bet you can find a bunch of news articles from the famed "summer of the shark" when exactly the same statistical number of people were bitten by sharks as years before. H1N1 was not particularly more fatal than any other flu, its claim to fame is that it spread so well.

Get over your huff! First, I apologize to you, and you do not even acknowledge that. Then, you post some snark like the above. I was showing that a lot of teens died. You do not know what you are talking about regarding H1N1, and you have "nothing to say" to me! Oh, the irony!

Finally, it is a FACT as much a you like to ignore it that actually getting the flu provides stronger immunity than a flu shot. For some (not all) people that may be very important as they get older.

Perhaps. However, that person will probably never be exposed to that particular flu virus again, so it doesn't really matter that their immunity is "stronger".

I have had the flu, I had H1N1. It sucked. I was sick for 10 days. I would have rather had a milder related strain like my mother did back in the 60s. She did not get it at all. Y
Your mom was one of the lucky ones. If you would open and read the links I posted about that, you'd know that.

BTW, from my local health dept. regarding meningits.

http://www.bouldercounty.org/help/health/disease/pages/meningococcal.aspx (broken link)

"The highest rates are among children younger than two years old. Unfortunately, the disease is most often caused by serogroup B strain of the bacteria in young children, for which there is no vaccine available in the United States. Rates for children 11 through 19 years are also higher than that for the general population."

Here is something interesting from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/about/faq.html

"Fortunately, none of the bacteria that cause meningitis are as contagious as things like the common cold or the flu."

I would like to reiterate that I am wholly in favor of vaccination for meningitis, AND ALSO FOR FLU!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-18-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I have an ignorant question to ask. How do people know what strains they have? Do the doctors have to draw blood?
I had a q-tip up the nose. Much like a strep test, they took it away, came back in 5 minutes and said I was positive for influenza type A.

With the H1N1, I'm making an educated guess. I wasn't tested. It was in late Sept or early Oct when H1N1 was first going around, and the vaccine wasn't available yet. My symptoms matched the description.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I had a q-tip up the nose. Much like a strep test, they took it away, came back in 5 minutes and said I was positive for influenza type A.

With the H1N1, I'm making an educated guess. I wasn't tested. It was in late Sept or early Oct when H1N1 was first going around, and the vaccine wasn't available yet. My symptoms matched the description.
The test we had in the 2009 H1N1 outbreak only said if you were positive for influenza. (Now we have one that tests for A and B.) In fact, we were instructed (by Colorado Dept. of Health, I think) to not send people to the lab for further testing b/c it was determined that the predominant strain was H1N1. I believe they did some "sentinel testing", e.g. testing people from certain clinics, etc. The treatment is the same no matter what type of flu it is.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I'm allergic to eggs so no flu-pnuemonia shot for me-I'm also allergic to tetnus but that's another story. My diabetic son got the flu shot for three years straight, it was the only years he's ever HAD the flu. He stopped getting the shot and hasn't had the flu since. My other three boys have all had them but all had the flu (maybe a lesser extent). I'm not opposed or in favor. It's up to the person.
Us too- all five of mine got the shot in December 2007 and three of them had the flu before summer of 2008. We haven't done the shot since and the flu has never returned to our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting