Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, it's a little sad when paper has meant a lot to you. Books are going to the way of the dinosaur, and while someday I'll probably switch to electronic books, too, I'm going to continue to enjoy the feel and look and smell of a real book printed on paper while I can!

It is sad for the newsletter publisher to whom you are replying, because that has been her business for so long.
Thanks for understanding! Maybe some of us are more "sensual" or ??? Computers and cell phones and other modern gadgets seems so "slick" and "uniform." (If this makes sense!...I always write better "by hand." My thoughts flow-out easier. I enjoy watching my "scribbles" on paper. Also I've been interested in handwriting analysis since I was a kid. I can "read" my "moods" through my handwriting. (And work to perk myself up when I seem "down" etc.)....I loved sending out newsletters to all my subscribers through the mail. (Even though it could be a tedius job at times!) We all pitched in to get them out and made it fun! (Me and my husband and my son.) Sending out email publications just doesn't feel quite the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My only is 20 and at college in a foreign country where they don't have Christmas (she says they do have some commercial nods toward the western holiday, such as store decorations with Santa Claus, etc.)

So, for the first time ever, I won't see my child for Christmas. Wah.

Anyway, I'll just put some money into her account for traveling, but she did say she wants socks, so I'm going to send her some socks. Which will be horribly expensive to ship, but I want her to have something to open up from me on December 25th!

She also wants peanut butter and chocolate, both of which are available in China but their versions suck and don't taste right.
I'm sorry that your daughter won't be with you for Christmas this year. I'm sure she'lL love the socks you're sending her!...This is what I want for Christmas this year: I hope that the chemo and radiation treatments are successful in shrinking my son's brain tumor!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Thanks for understanding! Maybe some of us are more "sensual" or ??? Computers and cell phones and other modern gadgets seems so "slick" and "uniform." (If this makes sense!...I always write better "by hand." My thoughts flow-out easier. I enjoy watching my "scribbles" on paper. Also I've been interested in handwriting analysis since I was a kid. I can "read" my "moods" through my handwriting. (And work to perk myself up when I seem "down" etc.)....I loved sending out newsletters to all my subscribers through the mail. (Even though it could be a tedius job at times!) We all pitched in to get them out and made it fun! (Me and my husband and my son.) Sending out email publications just doesn't feel quite the same!
What's the subject of your newsletter?

I keep a handwritten journal, but I went to secretarial school back in the 70's and have since lost my ability to write legibly without great effort, and I don't want to make the effort. Sometimes I can't read my own handwriting! I like to write (will finish a short story today to submit to a contest--contests give me deadlines, which need) but I do fine just typing into the keyboard. Once in a while when thoughts or dialogue hits me and I'm not near a computer, I pull out a pen and scribble my thoughts down so I don't lose them.

I took a one-day course in handwriting analysis a few years ago. It was fascinating, and I see things in people's handwriting sometimes that I learned just from that short course.

I am a reader and so always have a book for the train, but I see other commuters with their Kindles and similar devices, and it just isn't something I'm ready to do. It doesn't look friendly as a book does.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:37 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that your daughter won't be with you for Christmas this year. I'm sure she'lL love the socks you're sending her!...This is what I want for Christmas this year: I hope that the chemo and radiation treatments are successful in shrinking my son's brain tumor!
I hope for that for your son, too! That would be the most wonderful gift.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 AM

Mightyqueen801...Thanks for your great posts! I hope I don't get "popped" for going off-topic. This conversation started before I got here! (Buying kids all of the latest electronic gadgets etc.)...My husband and I had all kinds of newsletters through the years. We started with a singles' publication. (With articles related to the singles' lifetsyle. And we had a handwriting analysis column and regular features along with personal ads.)...We had a travel publication. When we owned and operated craft/gift stores we published a monthly newsletter...I taught "growth-oriented" classes for awhile and published newsletters for my classes etc. I'm sure there's more!...Great that you enjoyed and benefited from your handwriting analysis class! My writing can be messy when I'm in a hurry and pressed for time but I just enjoy seeing "me" on paper versus uniform type! Good luck with your latest writing contest!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:42 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He came from a very working class family. If he wanted something extra he had to buy it himself so he certainly had the incentive to make something of himself. (He's also a very nice guy and a family man which is the perfect icing on the cake.)
Just goes to show you that working hard for what you want and need is great character builder and this fells sounds like he has a ton of "good character" about him.

With the way that most parents buy the kids what ever they want today, makes you wonder what they're going to be like in 20 to 30 years from now. Doesn't it?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
I hope that the chemo and radiation treatments are successful in shrinking my son's brain tumor!
I think we all hope that!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think we all hope that!
Absolutely!

Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Blind and selfish as you are, you fail to see that "hazardous" or not, you still have parking options. You also fail to see that your mother, in no way, is obligated to allow you to wade through and handle her things, in order for you to park in HER garage. Get over it. While I'm flying my kite and pounding my sand, I'd suggest you invest in some salt and get your butt out there, the next time it snows, to scrape and salt. Of course, it's much easier to simply stomp your feet and expect everyone to do it your way.
It's MY things in the garage. My things from when I moved back in. I'll wade through them all I want.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It's MY things in the garage. My things from when I moved back in. I'll wade through them all I want.
Well that settles it then. She doesn't want all of YOUR crap moved back into HER house, just so you can park your car in there. Like Julia and Maciesmom said, clearly she doesn't want you getting too comfortable there. You know the old saying, "Time to move out while you know it all!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting