Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Which is why I say appearance matters. It doesn't define a person but it matters. If I am going to my son's football game I don't need to be dressed in heels and a skirt, but I still need to be dressed appropriately. People who do not know you have no other way to judge you other than by your appearance. Appearance matters. It isn't everything but it is something.
Can you quantify or qualify what or why it matters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
People who do not know you have no other way to judge you other than by your appearance.
Wait why would people who don't know you feel it appropriate to judge you at all?

Old 11-05-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
But the truth is that we have to let our kids "go" and "be true to themselves." (Even if they adopt a lifestyle and ways that seem foreign to us and our image of who we'd like them to be!)
As long as it is within the budget! Or on their dime.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
A lot of my clothes and possessions probably "say" (or tell others) that I'm a person who likes to enjoy and "bond" with the things I already have...I'm not into buying "new models" and "upgrades"all the time. I like to be "aware" of "new things" that come out on the market. (New clothing styles, new electronic gadgets, new appliances etc.) But I don't feel an urge to rush right out and buy every "new thing "myself!
Appearance doesn't always have to be about being up to the minute in style. It has to do with being appropriate to the occasion. People dress differently when they go to a wedding than they do when they go to the beach. A person can be wearing 100% stylish clothing and be dressed inappropriately. Another person can be wearing older clothing and still be dressed appropriately.

When I go to the grocery store I wear jeans and a clean top. I may not have any makeup on my face. When I go in to school to see my son's teacher I will probably dress in nicer pants and put on some makeup. If I am going to a wedding in the evening I will wear a dress and heels and more elaborate makeup. My jeans might be "up to the minute" and my dress might be a classic dress that I have had for 15 years. It isn't the newness that makes the jean inappropriate for an evening wedding.

Appropriate dress and appearance does matter. It shouldn't be an obsession but it matters. A person does not have to be obsessed with style to look appropriate for an occasion.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
From my perpective I feel "freer" to pay attention to the world around me because I'm not consumed with having to buy (and shop for) all of the latest things!...As I mentioned in an earlier post I like to pay attention to "what's new!" It's interesting! I admire creativity and artistry and ingenuity etc. But I just don't feel an urge to rush right out and buy every "new thing" myself! In other words I don't have to make everything "my own" if this makes sense.
Is anyone reading my posts? Or are they reading them and putting their own words & thoughts into them? I have stated several times that I am NOT talking about the latest styles!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Which is why I say appearance matters. It doesn't define a person but it matters. If I am going to my son's football game I don't need to be dressed in heels and a skirt, but I still need to be dressed appropriately. People who do not know you have no other way to judge you other than by your appearance. Appearance matters. It isn't everything but it is something.
Perfectly put.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Wait why would people who don't know you feel it appropriate to judge you at all?
We all judge others. We all have thoughts enter our brains when we see someone. We form opinions too.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Appropriate dress and appearance does matter. It shouldn't be an obsession but it matters. A person does not have to be obsessed with style to look appropriate for an occasion.

WHY does it matter? That is what I am asking you to articulate. What does it matter that the check out person at the grocery store is a man dressed like a very dressed up woman? My groceries still wound up paid for. Why does it matter that the young women in the grocery store were dressed like underpaid hookers? They still got their groceries. Why does it matter that one of the guests at a recent wedding was wearing a pair of jeans? It did not bother the bride and groom, and they still wound up married.

So I am wondering WHY does it matter?

It matters to me only when it is a matter of my self interest or a matter of courtesy. For example it is in my best interest to dress in a manner to advance me at work. It is courteous to dress appropriately to a wedding in case the bride would object....

Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Judgment is not a bad thing.

Judgment | Define Judgment at Dictionary.com

Take a look at numbers 2 and 4. People NEED to judge others. I certainly value my ability to form opinions about other people.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM

somebodynew,

It matters because we are social beings. Social beings do judge others of their species on appearance. It's the way we are wired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting