Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Unless I am going to get to know someone, then yes, I do judge based solely on appearance. What else could I judge by?
I consider many factors..How does a person "come across" in general? Does the person seem happy and "ok" and "at peace?" Or nervous? Angry? Upset? Frustrated? Impatient?...I try to "read their energy" and gain a sense of "who they are" based on many different factors. And I know that I may be operating under assumptions. (When I first meet someone.) So I try to "stay open" to seeing "more sides" to "who they are" in time. How about you?...If I ran into someone who was wearing "80's clothes" I would probably feel somewhat "at home!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well sometimes people are having to make a decision on something that affects you based on limited information and your appearance is something that can be quickly assessed. If you choose to disregard that, fine but it still matters.
Lately I've been to weddings where I've probably seemed a little over-dressed. Some of the guests have dressed in shorts and extremely casual clothes...It would be hard for me to wear shorts to a wedding. How about you? But I guess that things are becomIng more casual today. (At least in some parts of the country.)

Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Lately I've been to weddings where I've probably seemed a little over-dressed. Some of the guests have dressed in shorts and extremely casual clothes...It would be hard for me to wear shorts to a wedding. How about you? But I guess that things are becomIng more casual today. (At least in some parts of the country.)
I would not wear shorts to a wedding.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
As far as why social norms matter, that is a whole course in sociology. I found this interesting though:

Everyday Sociology Blog: The Prevalence of Social Norms

Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
The discussion has taken many twists and turns along the way! (And this is probably good!) This is what keeps pulling me back to this thread!..The discussion about people who dress in 80's clothes was different. I feel proud that I still have "survivor type" clothes! YEA! I usually go for classic styles too versus "trendy" items that will go out of fashion fast...I didn't paint the walls of my home red when it became the latest rage. I stayed more basic and neutral. I tend to be more of a low-key person today. I don't want to "stick out." It's fine with me if I blend into the "woodwork" when I go out in public...My husband and I owned and operated gift stores for years so we were aware of all of the latest fads and trends etc. We produced our own line of silk and dried florals and wood products so we had to stay "up" on popular colors etc.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
I'm not an indulgent parent by any means. But I don't think I want my son driving around in a $100 car. What about safety?

He'll probably get my 10 year-old wagon or, if he's lucky, my husband's 14 year-old Camry.
I must admit that the best years of my youth were because I had a $100 clunker. I didn't care if we sat on it while watching fireworks, didn't care if someone spilled pop on it. And it was a 10 yr old, "68" ford LTD 4 door with a 390 engine that I couldn't even kill that I got from a farmer down the road. It was a rusted out old bucket that still had an AM FM radio in it. That old car lugged me and a bunch of my friends around for two years before the front end finally gave out one day on a back round, then I sold it to the junk man and bought another. Not my parents, I bought all my cars and paid for everything that was needed to keep them running.

I'm really glad my parents brought me up with the idea that, "if you want it, you work hard for it" and then and only then will you learn to take care of it.

Thanks Mom and Dad, I love you for all that you taught me , you were the best.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would not wear shorts to a wedding.
I didn't judge the young people who wore shorts or casual clothes at the weddings "bad." The weddings were all in So. CA and I just viewed it all as "cultural changes."...Each area and region goes through "cultural changes" at times. (Depending on who moves in or out of an area and the fads and ideas that "catch on" and "stick" etc.) Guess this is all part of what might be called "social norms" in any given area at any particular time.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Thanks for the thumbs up! So you like to "blend into the woodwork" too? It's fun!..I liken myself to the "fly" on the wall that no one sees. I like to "people-watch" and observe others without drawing any attention to myself in the process! I like to be incognito!...How about you? I don't like to be the center of attention. Don't shine any spotlights on me!

Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I must admit that the best years of my youth were because I had a $100 clunker. I didn't care if we sat on it while watching fireworks, didn't care if someone spilled pop on it. And it was a 10 yr old, "68" ford LTD 4 door with a 390 engine that I couldn't even kill that I got from a farmer down the road. It was a rusted out old bucket that still had an AM FM radio in it. That old car lugged me and a bunch of my friends around for two years before the front end finally gave out one day on a back round, then I sold it to the junk man and bought another. Not my parents, I bought all my cars and paid for everything that was needed to keep them running.

I'm really glad my parents brought me up with the idea that, "if you want it, you work hard for it" and then and only then will you learn to take care of it.

Thanks Mom and Dad, I love you for all that you taught me , you were the best.
Good for you! I feel like my Mom and Dad did a great job of raising me with "down-to-earth values" even though we lived in cities. They took me on weekend drives out to the country so I could see food growing and farm animals and develop an appreciation for nature.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Thanks for the thumbs up! So you like to "blend into the woodwork" too? It's fun!..I liken myself to the "fly" on the wall that no one sees. I like to "people-watch" and observe others without drawing any attention to myself in the process! I like to be incognito!...How about you? I don't like to be the center of attention. Don't shine any spotlights on me!
You've described me perfectly! I am perfectly happy being the fly on the wall and the "worker bee" in the background. If I've done something nice or that you feel needs recognition, tell me in private and if you feel the need to tell others, please do so while I am not present. I can't handle being the spotlight or being put on the spot. "Just doin' my job, ma'am" It's not as if I don't enjoy and appreciate compliments and recognition, because I really, do. Just do NOT ask me to come to the front of the room or onto the stage for ANYthing! Also, I will SING into a microphone....but I will not talk into one. Weird, huh? Stagefright and social anxiety like crazy! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting