Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, that's not judgemental at all.
Creepy!! Where does someone like that get those photos? Please tell me she's not trolling Disneyland with a camera. Gross.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:12 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Creepy!! Where does someone like that get those photos? Please tell me she's not trolling Disneyland with a camera. Gross.
Yes, it is gross that so many of those kids are squeezed into those strollers (and in some cases, shopping carts at apparently aged 9+).

As for the site's pics, they are sent in by others who see this ridiculousness out-and-about.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
As for the site's pics, they are sent in by others who see this ridiculousness out-and-about.
Which I find disgusting. They go to the trouble of taking these pictures and them post them on Facebook? Makes me want to take a shower.

I also happen to believe that whether or not a parent pops their child into a stroller or shopping cart at any age is absolutely none of my business.

I'm always stunned by how much people judge each other. Who died and made these posters lord of all mankind who can say, "Thou shalt not put that child in a stroller." Cheese. Loosen up people. Find a constructive hobby.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
It's so interesting how different people see the same thing.
This is a visceral opinion - the very first time I saw a kid on a lease was well before I had any kids of my own, and my reaction then was about the same as it is now. I just think it is demeaning for both parent and child.

Quote:
I'm curious: If you didn't use strollers much, and you didn't use harnesses, and your kids walked pretty much everywhere, what did that "training" entail? A firm hand and a loving voice?
More like a loving hand and a firm voice, and a lot of patience to take the time to explain things to the child in terms that they can understand, so they know WHY you are putting restrictions on them. Making them an active participant in the effort to keep them safe helps a lot, at least it did in my experience.

Rinse and repeat. Every moment is a teaching moment.

I'm also a product of my own parents' practices. We never had leashes or strollers, despite doing a great deal of hiking and other things fraught with physical hazards. They taught us to be smart and self-reliant instead of pushing us around like fat little pharaohs or restraining us like a yippy chihuahua - because we were actually smarter than chihuahuas.

Sooner or later they will be very much on their own, and I'd rather them have the sense to keep themselves safe.

Quote:
And if the kid keeps running and won't listen? If that doesn't happen to you, well ... that's nice? I'm not really sure what to say to add to the self-congratulation.
Sure it happened. A lot. This stuff doesn't happen overnight. It takes a lot of effort and attention and consistency. I'm not some magic parent with Jedi mind tricks. I just try harder than some.

Quote:
I don't think a harness is inappropriate or psychologically damaging--that's you, not me--but the line is probably right around where a firm hand and a loving voice crosses into yanking and yelling, all of which can be done while holding a kid's hand or a tether.
Putting a leash on a kid too young to remember wouldn't damage anything, but it seems to me that if they are that young, you ought to be able to catch them anyway.

Yanking and yelling are for emergencies only and we're going to do that with our without a leash...

Just as a possibly extreme example, but how could wearing a leash in public NOT be embarrassing for a kid old enough to notice that other kids don't have them?

At what age?

3?
4?
10?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Which I find disgusting. They go to the trouble of taking these pictures and them post them on Facebook? Makes me want to take a shower.

I also happen to believe that whether or not a parent pops their child into a stroller or shopping cart at any age is absolutely none of my business.

I'm always stunned by how much people judge each other. Who died and made these posters lord of all mankind who can say, "Thou shalt not put that child in a stroller." Cheese. Loosen up people. Find a constructive hobby.

We're just expressing opinions. It's not like I'm going to call CPS on someone I see at Wal-Mart with a leash.

I just can't bring myself to use such methods.

And I've seen way too many fat kids in strollers...

Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Quote:
I'm always stunned by how much people judge each other.
Perhaps I'm seeing this from a [former] teacher's point of view.

Because while some of you feel it's no big thing how others raise their kids,
teachers are stuck in a room of 20-30+ of these kids, many of whom in this day and age have been
catered to excessively,
given a free pass for horrible behavior,
enabled into laziness,
medicated beyond recognition,
never told "no,"
on and on.

Your kid doesn't just affect your life, period.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
This is a visceral opinion - the very first time I saw a kid on a lease was well before I had any kids of my own, and my reaction then was about the same as it is now. I just think it is demeaning for both parent and child.
Heh, I couldn't care less about it one way or the other. Like I said, different strokes. I never used them, and my parents didn't, and as far as I know, my grandparents et al didn't either. I admit that I look askance when my cousin pushes her youngest two around in strollers (they're six), but I know that I hated having my parenting decisions cast up to a family discussion, and I resolved never to do that.

My son stopped using a stroller when he was two or so, because he was big. I don't know how big kids sit in those things without breaking them. We do rent a wagon sometimes at the zoo so he can rest his legs from time to time, but mostly he walks. We'd put him up on our shoulders when he was a little smaller, and sometimes he'll get a piggyback ride. I know little kids get tired and it doesn't bother me. I don't see strollers as the same kind of restraint as a harness.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,024 times
im not a big fan of the leash but i do feel that it is helpful when parents are in a crowed area and dont want there child that is to big to held but to small to allow to walk on their own

Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Your kid doesn't just affect your life, period.
I just try VERY hard not to judge people.

Personal quirk.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Heh, I couldn't care less about it one way or the other. Like I said, different strokes. I never used them, and my parents didn't, and as far as I know, my grandparents et al didn't either. I admit that I look askance when my cousin pushes her youngest two around in strollers (they're six),

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
but I know that I hated having my parenting decisions cast up to a family discussion, and I resolved never to do that.
Well then we are lucky this is an anonymous board eh LOL.

My sister is still co-sleeping with her youngest, and let's just say he is waaaaaaayyyyy too old for that. She also breast fed him...far too long. I won't even say how old he was for her sake.

Quote:
My son stopped using a stroller when he was two or so, because he was big. I don't know how big kids sit in those things without breaking them. We do rent a wagon sometimes at the zoo so he can rest his legs from time to time, but mostly he walks. We'd put him up on our shoulders when he was a little smaller, and sometimes he'll get a piggyback ride. I know little kids get tired and it doesn't bother me. I don't see strollers as the same kind of restraint as a harness.
Not exactly the same. I don't see strollers as being nearly as bad, but people pushing around six year olds...sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.