Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 01:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I uesd a "leash" on my youngest, she would not stop running off. We only used it in a few situations, when were at the fair and a few other large attractions. My daughter was 2 and she would not stay in her stroller, she had a fit if we held her hand and when we let her walk, she took off running. haha..not funny, very stressful, when your toddler takes off running in a crowd and you have other kids to manage, that's when she got the leash. Thankfully, she hated the leash and after only 3-4 outings, she got the message, no more taking off.
so it is possible to use a harness AND teach them not to run off at the same time! Some posters would never believe it!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I uesd a "leash" on my youngest, she would not stop running off. We only used it in a few situations, when were at the fair and a few other large attractions. My daughter was 2 and she would not stay in her stroller, she had a fit if we held her hand and when we let her walk, she took off running. haha..not funny, very stressful, when your toddler takes off running in a crowd and you have other kids to manage, that's when she got the leash. Thankfully, she hated the leash and after only 3-4 outings, she got the message, no more taking off.
Good for you mom

As I stated earlier in the thread, toddlers are on a definite learning curve and as parents we have to give them the tools and time to learn how to navigate our world.

A leash is simply another tool

Thought some of you might enjoy these photos of kids on leashes around the world!
Kids on leashes--funny : theCHIVE

Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
so it is possible to use a harness AND teach them not to run off at the same time! Some posters would never believe it!
What it comes right down to, for me, is that *I* find them distasteful. I can go stick it where the sun don't shine. Each parent has to decide what tools they are going to use to keep their children safe until the children are prepared to do it for themselves. I used a stroller. How is that a great deal different? If the tool is used as a substitute for the teaching, then I think that is a bad thing. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But little kids are persnickety. And sometimes we use what we have.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good for you mom

As I stated earlier in the thread, toddlers are on a definite learning curve and as parents we have to give them the tools and time to learn how to navigate our world.

A leash is simply another tool

Thought some of you might enjoy these photos of kids on leashes around the world!
Kids on leashes--funny : theCHIVE
A lot of the people in these photos sure do look like they could use an upper body workout, you know, from carry something.

If you're too fat to be able to corral your kid, a leash really isn't the answer. Then the leash is for your convenience because you're a lardass.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
A lot of the people in these photos sure do look like they could use an upper body workout, you know, from carry something.

If you're too fat to be able to corral your kid, a leash really isn't the answer. Then the leash is for your convenience because you're a lardass.
Ever the ray of sunshine on this thread

Perhaps you'd like to start a new thread "parents who are too fat to be good parents"?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ever the ray of sunshine on this thread

Perhaps you'd like to start a new thread "parents who are too fat to be good parents"?
Hey, we've got an epidemic of corpulent little goblins in this country, just ask Michelle Obama.

Or go to Wal-Mart on a Saturday morning. Porkers abound. Look at what they have in their carts. It's frightening. Despite the plethora of information about healthy eating and the need for exercise, you still see people waddling around buying pounds of sweets for their little Baron Harkonnen strapped into a stroller that was designed for a kids half his size and half his age.

Yes, I will roll my eyes at them. I won't say a word of course, as much as I may be tempted to tell them that they better stop before the kid eats them too.

Yeah, I'm judgmental. Just like everyone else. That's what boards like this are for, so we can all spew our subjective and unrealistic opinions at each other.

The pics of SOME of those kids on that site about child leashes just reinforce my opinion that SOME parents aren't using them for safety purposes, but laziness purposes. Some of those pics even belie the safety claim, like the one where the kid is at the end of his leash well out into the road while the oblivious parent is looking the other way. A false sense of security can be worse than no security.

Sure, leashes can promote safety for kids that really need to be restrained, but they are no substitute for vigilance and responsible parenting.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:

OK, so now we're all fat and lazy? But doesn't carrying the child make him lazy and fat?? I'm so confused.

Aren't strollers a convenience for parents? Baby Bjorns and similar? Are we supposed to NOT use something because it is a convenience?

A car is a convenience too. Maybe we should all walk everywhere, while carrying a 3 year old, so as not to become lardasses with no upper body strength.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Hey, we've got an epidemic of corpulent little goblins in this country, just ask Michelle Obama.

Or go to Wal-Mart on a Saturday morning. Porkers abound. Look at what they have in their carts. It's frightening. Despite the plethora of information about healthy eating and the need for exercise, you still see people waddling around buying pounds of sweets for their little Baron Harkonnen strapped into a stroller that was designed for a kids half his size and half his age.

Yes, I will roll my eyes at them. I won't say a word of course, as much as I may be tempted to tell them that they better stop before the kid eats them too.

Yeah, I'm judgmental. Just like everyone else. That's what boards like this are for, so we can all spew our subjective and unrealistic opinions at each other.

The pics of SOME of those kids on that site about child leashes just reinforce my opinion that SOME parents aren't using them for safety purposes, but laziness purposes. Some of those pics even belie the safety claim, like the one where the kid is at the end of his leash well out into the road while the oblivious parent is looking the other way. A false sense of security can be worse than no security.

Sure, leashes can promote safety for kids that really need to be restrained, but they are no substitute for vigilance and responsible parenting.
Who said they are?

One has nothing to do with the other. Yes, there are some fat parents and some fat kids. That means they don't eat healthy and get enough exercise. That doesn't make them lazy-ass leash-users.

Using a leash isn't going to make a fat kid fatter or a fat parent fatter. Heck, if they are out and about with a kid on a leash, it means they are off their a$$, walking around. That's a good thing!

You are really reaching. You don't like leashes. Fine. The reasons you have come up with are all crap, though.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
OK, so now we're all fat and lazy? But doesn't carrying the child make him lazy and fat?? I'm so confused.
You are confused, since I didn't say anything about all parents. In fact I was quite specific in my use of the word "some."

So untwist your knickers.

Quote:
Aren't strollers a convenience for parents? Baby Bjorns and similar? Are we supposed to NOT use something because it is a convenience?
Not at the expense of the child's welfare, no. That would be both selfish and lazy.

Quote:
A car is a convenience too. Maybe we should all walk everywhere, while carrying a 3 year old, so as not to become lardasses with no upper body strength.
Maybe we should.

Pssst. Unless you happen to fall into the categories I've described, this really isn't about you. Or is it?

Last edited by JustJulia; 11-01-2011 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: the close quote slash goes that way: /

Old 11-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Who said they are?

One has nothing to do with the other. Yes, there are some fat parents and some fat kids. That means they don't eat healthy and get enough exercise. That doesn't make them lazy-ass leash-users.
Sure it does, if they are just using the leash because they can't run for 30 seconds without having palpitations.

Quote:
Using a leash isn't going to make a fat kid fatter or a fat parent fatter. Heck, if they are out and about with a kid on a leash, it means they are off their a$$, walking around. That's a good thing!
I see a correlation in some cases. What you state above is not what I wrote.

Quote:
You are really reaching. You don't like leashes. Fine. The reasons you have come up with are all crap, though.
My reasons certainly have the value of winding you up something fierce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting