Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times

Advertisements

First - please , no "leashes are for dogs" comments...thanks..

For those of you who did use them, when did you start?

BabyGirl is 17 months and has been walking for about 1mo.

She's totally over the stroller and wants "out, out". Daddy has always taken her out of the stroller (or the shopping cart) immediately and carried her whenever she fusses in the slightest bit, as a result she refuses to sit in it for very long without throwing a fit. This has been a bit of a bone of contention with my husband with my husband and I. I get that he enjoys carrying her but it makes it a nightmare for me when I'm running errands and just trying to get in and out asap.

So , now that she's walking - I'd like to let her do so but she still seems a bit unsteady and when I tried the leash even more so.... But if I do let her out, she's gone like a shot. I thought she'd stay closer to my side but that's turning out to not be the case. We went to the aquarium over the weekend and she didn't want to stay in the stroller - and I didn't really want her either since she couldn't see anything - but as soon as I let her out - she was off.....

Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
It's up to you, really. If she really wants to walk, but takes off, it sounds like one of those harnesses could be really useful in a lot of situations.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:10 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
So , now that she's walking - I'd like to let her do so but she still seems a bit unsteady and when I tried the leash even more so.... But if I do let her out, she's gone like a shot. I thought she'd stay closer to my side but that's turning out to not be the case.
It's time. Don't worry about her being unsteady - it won't last long.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
You have to do what you have to do. My wife and I thought they were horrible until our now 3 year old (she used a leash from around 18 months to 24 months) had to deal with repeat nurse maids elbow's and it made holding her hand impossible. The nice part about the leash is that unlike most criticisms of it, it does somewhat teach them how to walk together and not run off. We also really worked on letting her walk without it in more controlled situations like when we were both with her or in not so crowded places.

I would say it should be a last resort, but if you have no choice there is nothing wrong with using it when you need to use it. Just don't let her turn into the 5 year old still tethered to their parents by a leash, lol.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
I'm all for them. Whatever it takes to keep your little one safe.

I used one for awhile with my toddler. You will find that it gets used less and less as your child learns what's right and wrong as far as staying with you.

I think I used mine for the 12 month - around 2 1/2 years or so age bracket. Our friends didn't use one ("leashes are for dogs") and I watched them chase their son all over the place (out of the public restroom - he slipped under the stall and out the door while mom was still peeing, clear through the kitchen and to the back door of a restaurant we were at, out the gate and down the block from the babysitters, and (of course) out into many, many roads). I think he got into the habit of running (after all, mommy or daddy always chased him) and did it well over the age of 3.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
I think leashes were used quite a bit in the 1950s. Everyone had so many children, that was the practical thing to do while taking a walk, etc.

I remember seeing them when I was a kid (in the '50s). My own mother used them, also (she had seven of us)!

I don't think there's anything wrong with using them. Gives the kids a feeling of freedom without the worry of them getting lost...

Old 10-18-2011, 01:02 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
First - please , no "leashes are for dogs" comments...thanks..
OK, how about "the leash demeans both you and the child."

Try harder.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

Try harder.
There are going to be people who look down on any choice a parent makes, whether it's vaccinations, toys, gadgets, curfew, bottlefeeding. I could probably dig up a few threads from people who were irritated by wandering children getting in their way, or from parents who had a scare after a kid got away.

I think most parents just do the best they can.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
I would sure rather see a kid on a leash than running in front of a car, getting separated from their parents, or screaming in their stroller. Sounds like your little one is ready to get out and explore, and since she can't stay by your side holding your hand, and she is probably too big for a snugglie, the leash might be the best solution for you. She'll get steadier on her feet as she gets more comfortable walking around. I wouldn't worry about what anybody thinks about it either. You're doing what you feel you need to do for your baby to be happy and safe.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

Try harder.
How does a leash demean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting