Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:04 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,013 times

Advertisements

This happened in my town about 2 years ago. The guy had his daughter for visitation, forget he had her with him, went to work, and left her strapped in her carseat in his car.

I don't remember if there were any charges, but at least he has the punishment that he has to live everyday with the fact that he killed his kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I'm fairly scatterbrained myself, but I just don't see how you could forget a child is in the car. .
Exactly. Me neither. It's a poor little child for God's sake, as a parent you need to be extra careful all the time. This also reminds of the little girl Madeleine Mccann who went missing when on a vacation with her parents. It's a little offtopic, but yet .. how can the parents be so irresponsible , leaving three young kids by themselves and marching off to a party or dinner or whatever The least they could do is hire a babysitter..

Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Hi, WC, we've missed you!
Thanks, K. I'm glad to be back. Hope you're doing well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
You don't have to understand the whats and whys of these events. Have some compassion.
I'm sure a judge and jury would want to know the whats and whys of the events. Now granted, I'm not a judge and I don't consider myself as arrogant enough to think it could never happen to me. But regardless of the whats and whys, if a child under a certain age is left alone ANYWHERE, it's considered neglect! Let me ask you something: If you hadn't remembered your child, and your husband didn't, and it was a hot day while you were in that restaurant, and somebody noticed your baby in the car, do you think you should have been given a slap on the wrist and allowed to continue on your merry way? What if the child died because of your neglect, but it was an "accident" that you left the baby in the car. Do you think you and your husband should be punished? What if it was your babysitter that did this (presuming you have a babysitter) - would you allow them to keep working for you? Would you have them arrested for neglect?

Compassion? This isn't a matter involving compassion. It's a matter involving RESPONSIBILITY and COMMON SENSE.

You know, maybe I'm an oddball, but I LOOK inside my car not only when I get IN, but also when I get OUT. It's just something I do, the same way as I look at my tires before I get in and out.

Last edited by Pathwalker; 08-24-2007 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM

10,177 posts, read 11,159,885 times
Sorry - no compassion for morons who left their children in cars. There is no excuse!!!! Some people do not deserve to have children.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
This happened in my town about 2 years ago. The guy had his daughter for visitation, forget he had her with him, went to work, and left her strapped in her carseat in his car.

I don't remember if there were any charges, but at least he has the punishment that he has to live everyday with the fact that he killed his kid.
As an aside, mothers in this scenario are charged at a higher rate than fathers whom do so. And, overall, when there are charges brought against the parent, mothers do more time.

Sara

Old 08-24-2007, 06:20 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
As an aside, mothers in this scenario are charged at a higher rate than fathers whom do so. And, overall, when there are charges brought against the parent, mothers do more time.

Sara
That's pretty messed up.

You're right though, there is definitely a double standard with parental neglect. Look at that little Madeline case in Portugal. People are all up in arms, but you hear very few people putting the blame on the parents for leaving a 4 year old and 2 year old twins alone in a room while they eat dinner away from them. Yet that was a selfish act of theirs that made it possible for their kid to disappear. It's taboo to say it though.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
I was thinking more about this today, and I want to state that I'm really not in a position to say whether someone should or shouldn't be punished in this situation, if it truly was a mistake. That's not to say I think it was excusable, but I also realize that I've made some mistakes in my life, and would hope that enough mercy would be shown to me that it would be recognized that bearing the pain of what happened as a result of my mistake would in and of itself be enough "punishment".

I DO believe in compassion and mercy. I just happen to also think people need to be a bit more mindful of their environments and use common sense when the lives of others are in their charge.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 PM

177 posts, read 814,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
That's pretty messed up.

You're right though, there is definitely a double standard with parental neglect. Look at that little Madeline case in Portugal. People are all up in arms, but you hear very few people putting the blame on the parents for leaving a 4 year old and 2 year old twins alone in a room while they eat dinner away from them. Yet that was a selfish act of theirs that made it possible for their kid to disappear. It's taboo to say it though.
Yes, I agree, nothing has been mentioned regarding the fact that they also left 2 year olds alone as well. I mean 2 YEAR OLDS!!! It really is beyond belief! What annoys me too is that the parents are both doctors!! She's a general practitioner and he's a cardiologist - so they had enough money to hire a nanny I think. Even just for the week they were away in Portugal. It's a very frustrating situation. They even had plenty of 'friends' with them too - who I'm sure could have helped out with holding them while dinner took place. It's a shame that the parents felt they had to exclude the children from their nightly dinner - I wonder if it was because they felt the kids would act up and that these friends wouldn't approve if they came?

On a different note, how is ANY parent willing to accept that something could happen to their adorable child no matter where they are in the world? If we were all so vigilant 24/7 then no child would EVER die in a hot car, drown in a pool or be killed by a stray bullet etc.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:06 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Default An update

Mom won't be charged

[Excerpt]

Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby won’t be charged in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Cecilia Slaby, who was left in a car for eight hours amid searing heat Aug. 23, prosecutors said this morning.

Nesselroad-Slaby, 40, forgot she left the sleeping girl strapped in a child seat of a sport utility vehicle at Glen Este Middle School, where she is the assistant principal.

“The only underlying charge appropriate in cases such as this, and the charge suggested by the Union Township Police Department, is child endangering,” said a statement released by Clermont County Prosecutor Don White. “The actions of Cecilia’s mother … were the result of an accident. … It is my opinion that the law dictates that no charges be filed at this time.”

The Enquirer - Mom won't be charged

Old 09-04-2007, 12:45 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Good Grief people,

Put a dam large note on your dashboard..KIDS IN BACK SEAT!!
I know people are stressed, over worked and frazzled but when it comes to your kids...and wee ones have a habit of falling asleep in a moving car...make it a habit to have a reminder for yourself...one that will remind you before you exit your car..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting