Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:26 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wow! Interesting stuff! I am going to put that book on my to-read list.
Yeah, and I'm going to pull it back off the shelf and read it some more!

Last week I bought a big bag of Halloween candy on sale...it was a mix of tootsie rolls, both the chocolate and flavored kind, Dots, and lollipops. Well...only the Dots and lollipops remain, and now I have to buy more candy. I should've known better...

But the book's diet is pretty healthy and sensible--protein, vegetables, etc., but really drives home the part about sugar. It also has exercises in it, which I should get off this couch and do on this cold, rainy day instead of drinking coffee and posting on CD.

Also, even if you don't agree with the extremeness of the no-carb Atkins diet (I tried it once and by the end of the week would have committed murder for mashed potatoes), he makes a great point in his book. Our caveperson ancestors lived on the plants they gathered and the meat and fat of the animals they hunted. It's only in the past 100 years or so that we've fed ourselves with things made of refined sugar and flour, and it's in those 100 years that heart disease and cancer has skyrocketed, too.

Our bodies do have the natural ability to fight off many diseases, but if we don't take care of our immune systems, we are upping our chances of getting sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, and I'm going to pull it back off the shelf and read it some more!

Last week I bought a big bag of Halloween candy on sale...it was a mix of tootsie rolls, both the chocolate and flavored kind, Dots, and lollipops. Well...only the Dots and lollipops remain, and now I have to buy more candy. I should've known better...

But the book's diet is pretty healthy and sensible--protein, vegetables, etc., but really drives home the part about sugar. It also has exercises in it, which I should get off this couch and do on this cold, rainy day instead of drinking coffee and posting on CD.

Also, even if you don't agree with the extremeness of the no-carb Atkins diet (I tried it once and by the end of the week would have committed murder for mashed potatoes), he makes a great point in his book. Our caveperson ancestors lived on the plants they gathered and the meat and fat of the animals they hunted. It's only in the past 100 years or so that we've fed ourselves with things made of refined sugar and flour, and it's in those 100 years that heart disease and cancer has skyrocketed, too.

Our bodies do have the natural ability to fight off many diseases, but if we don't take care of our immune systems, we are upping our chances of getting sick.
LOL I'm sitting here drinking coffee on a cold, snowy day wasting time posting on CD too.

I cannot believe how addictive refined sugars and flour can be. I went off them once,this past year and felt FANTASTIC. But, I fell off the wagon and boy can I feel the difference. Tired, sluggish, etc. It's amazing how foods can really effect the way you feel.

I guess it should be a no-brainer, though.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:08 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
all upper respiratory infections are contagious with the exception of lung ca
Lung cancer is not an infection.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
While I agree, it is just wrong that most employers would only allow a few of sick days (if that), after which you can get into all kinds of trouble... so, most people I know end up going to work sick or returning much sooner then they should...
It is not fun, either... and puts other people at risk. But this is how it is
Employers who allow this policy are shortsighted. They just make it easier for more employees to get sick.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The overuse of antibiotics has been a problem for a long time, and I guess now we are seeing the results. I'm not sure that the overuse of these "hand sanitizers" won't do the same thing.
The hand sanitizers contain alcohol, not antibiotics.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...ic-resistance/

"Controlled studies concluded hand sanitizers do not contribute to antibacterial resistance. In their collective review, Kampf and colleagues found no reports of antibiotic resistance related to alcohol-based hand sanitizers. In an earlier study E.C. Cole and his co-authors examined whether use of antibacterial cleansers resulted in increased resistance. None of the bacterial strains tested demonstrated antibiotic resistance, nor did the strains develop resistance to the cleansers."

http://www.wesleyan.edu/healthservic...nfection1.html

This link includes the results of a study done in a university dormitory system that resulted in 43% fewer missed days of school or work when a hand washing program, including use of a hand sanitizer, was introduced.

There is no need to avoid hand sanitizers because of fear of inducing antibiotic resistance or resistance to alcohol itself. Alcohol is in those little wipes that are used before you get a shot or have blood drawn, remember. It has been used for a long, long time. Still works.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-29-2011 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: add links

Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
The important thing to remember about hand sanitizers is this....cheaper is not better. In order for it to be effective, it should contain at least 60% alcohol. One should also be aware that it should contact all surfaces of the hand, in order to kill that bacteria. It is also important to remember that alcohol based hand sanitizers are not effective against all pathogens. They do not kill viruses, but viruses do not like to 'cling to" alcohol treated surfaces. They don't kill E-coli or C-diff and are ineffective against the noro-virus.

I am personally sensitive to alcohol based sanitizers and prefer those with Benzalkonium Chloride. According to my research, they are more effective and are kinder to your skin. I use Gold Bond hand sanitzer and love the stuff.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL I'm sitting here drinking coffee on a cold, snowy day wasting time posting on CD too.

I cannot believe how addictive refined sugars and flour can be. I went off them once,this past year and felt FANTASTIC. But, I fell off the wagon and boy can I feel the difference. Tired, sluggish, etc. It's amazing how foods can really effect the way you feel.

I guess it should be a no-brainer, though.
Exactly! I have so much more energy when I'm not eating sugar and am eating fruits and veggies. I HATE salad, I really do. I feel like I'm eating the lawn or something. But I buy it and make myself eat it because it's really good for you, and now that I'm in my 50's, spiraling downward toward my old and crotchety years, I figure I should take some steps toward better health.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The hand sanitizers contain alcohol, not antibiotics.

Hand Sanitizer & Antibiotic Resistance | LIVESTRONG.COM

"Controlled studies concluded hand sanitizers do not contribute to antibacterial resistance. In their collective review, Kampf and colleagues found no reports of antibiotic resistance related to alcohol-based hand sanitizers. In an earlier study E.C. Cole and his co-authors examined whether use of antibacterial cleansers resulted in increased resistance. None of the bacterial strains tested demonstrated antibiotic resistance, nor did the strains develop resistance to the cleansers."

Infection Control @ Wes - Wesleyan University

This link includes the results of a study done in a university dormitory system that resulted in 43% fewer missed days of school or work when a hand washing program, including use of a hand sanitizer, was introduced.

There is no need to avoid hand sanitizers because of fear of inducing antibiotic resistance or resistance to alcohol itself. Alcohol is in those little wipes that are used before you get a shot or have blood drawn, remember. It has been used for a long, long time. Still works.
I don't really avoid using them because of fear of germ resistance. The problem is that I really have very little fear of germs or of getting sick. Probably not as much as I should have. I come into contact with hundreds of strangers every day and hang onto the train poles, etc., so I'm probably touching places that germy people might have touched earlier. I just don't think about it much. I have a good friend, though, who puts a glove on whenever he takes the subway, but he's a bit of a germaphobic sort in all aspects.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:59 AM

11 posts, read 23,301 times
never mind the germs. how about the fact that she was such a jerk that she could not show her child how to be compassionate to a person who is sick. i am ok if you are ignorant to diseases or things. but ignorance to others feelings is just pathetic. hope you feel better.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
The important thing to remember about hand sanitizers is this....cheaper is not better. In order for it to be effective, it should contain at least 60% alcohol. One should also be aware that it should contact all surfaces of the hand, in order to kill that bacteria. It is also important to remember that alcohol based hand sanitizers are not effective against all pathogens. They do not kill viruses, but viruses do not like to 'cling to" alcohol treated surfaces. They don't kill E-coli or C-diff and are ineffective against the noro-virus.

I am personally sensitive to alcohol based sanitizers and prefer those with Benzalkonium Chloride. According to my research, they are more effective and are kinder to your skin. I use Gold Bond hand sanitzer and love the stuff.
Interesting. Alcohol will kill most viruses. Those that are not killed are resistant due to their structure. They lack an "envelope" or are attracted to the lipids in cell walls.

Alcohol will kill E. coli, however.

Other resistant organisms are spore formers:

Safety Savvy from the Safety Lady: Do alcohol-based hand sanitizers kill all types of bacteria and viruses?

Fortunately, there is still soap and water and most of the things on the list are rather uncommon.

Also, there is concern that resistance can occur to benzalkonium chloride and that exposure to it can promote antibiotic resistance:

Effect of subinhibitory concentrations of benzalkonium chloride on the competitiveness of Pseudomonas aeruginosa grown in continuous culture

The article more relates to use in decontaminating environmental surfaces, but it brings out the point that proper use is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting