Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
However it has nothing to do with the point that a childrens holiday is becoming an adult only holiday, where kids cannot go to parties except specific childrens parties, haunted houses, hay rides, or even malls, restaurants etc. on Haloween Sure there are 'adult only" parties. In fact, most halloween parties with adults have become, or should be adult only. My point is that it should not be that way. Have nice parties on Halloween. There are plenty of other days for sleezy adult only parties. In fact there are already plenty of other holidays that are adult oriented. (St. Particks day, Valentines day, Sweetest day, New Years eve, Devil's night, Superbowl Sunday, every Friday . . . ). New Years eve is a perfect example. Many parents do not take or allow their kids out becuase they know that the entire country will be filled with adults acting like idiots (and driving drunk). New Years eve is not a children's or family holiday. It is better to keep or leave the kids at home. Do we have to take Halloween too?
I guess some of us simply don't see the same things you do. I don't see Halloween turning into a drink-sodden, lecherous Bacchanale. And again, I live in urban Florida, so...go figure, eh? Who knew we'd be behind the curve in depravity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I guess some of us simply don't see the same things you do. I don't see Halloween turning into a drink-sodden, lecherous Bacchanale. And again, I live in urban Florida, so...go figure, eh? Who knew we'd be behind the curve in depravity?

I do not see that everywhere. But I do see it too often and in too many places. The bigger concern is that I see it more and more every year and it seems to be spreading. It was fairly common in California. It seemed to be fairly rare when we moved to Michigan. Now we see it more in both places. You hear about even more if you listen to 18-20 somethings talk about their adventures the day after.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
I do not see that everywhere. But I do see it too often and in too many places. The bigger concern is that I see it more and more every year and it seems to be spreading. It was fairly common in California. It seemed to be fairly rare when we moved to Michigan. Now we see it more in both places. You hear about even more if you listen to 18-20 somethings talk about their adventures the day after.
If its an all adult party what does it matter what these people do there?
I went to two halloween parties and our costumes were nothing children should wear(short skirts and cleavage showing) and we were drinking things children shouldn't drink but there were no children there so what does it matter?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:48 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I thought I was just "protected" because I live in a town of 40K in the Midwest.

It's pretty "Leave it to Beaver" in my neighborhood.

I've seen the ads: the super-scary haunted houses, the gory decor, the sleezy costumes. It just doesn't seem to make it here to Main Street USA . I suppose if I wanted to find it I could; go out to a bar, drive to the nearest large town.

On my street all of the kids are accompanied by parents. All of the homeowners sit outside and pass out candy. People decorate with pumpkins and ghosts and black cats. Trick or Treat starts at 5 and ends at 8. 99.9% of the kids say "Thank-you".

The most "risque" costume I saw all night was a group of jr. high (?) girls dressed as flappers. Their dresses were kinda short . I wondered if they had watched the recent Ken Burns series...

Other than that, many tiny ninjas this year. Scooby doo (is that cartoon still around?) and bees! Sometimes whole families dressed as bees. I wondered if people were making a statement about colony collapse?

It's still my favorite holiday!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
I do not see that everywhere. But I do see it too often and in too many places. The bigger concern is that I see it more and more every year and it seems to be spreading. It was fairly common in California.
I must be missing something because I wouldn't call it "fairly common" in CA. West Hollywood Halloween party? Yes. Saw some real interesting costumes there, cough, cough. Areas around Knotts Berry Farm and the Halloween Haunt. Yes, somewhat. But the local mall? Didn't see it.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't think you'd see something that would need to be explained? Maybe not a lewd costume, but what about violence?
Shoot, I used to live in the barrio and never actually witnessed violence. Sure, I heard shootings, but while living there never saw any violence at all. Wait, we did have a police stand off on our street, but kids would have been asleep by then. They wouldn't have seen it. If I were walking around a small town, no I would not expect to see the type of violence that would need to be explained to a child.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Shoot, I used to live in the barrio and never actually witnessed violence. Sure, I heard shootings, but while living there never saw any violence at all. Wait, we did have a police stand off on our street, but kids would have been asleep by then. They wouldn't have seen it. If I were walking around a small town, no I would not expect to see the type of violence that would need to be explained to a child.
Well, you might be surprised! Do you think no one abuses a kid (or another adult, or an animal) in a small town? Do you think no one ever fights in a small town? There was an armed robbery in the parking lot of my DD's apartment building in a city of about 100,000 people. These things also happen in small towns.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:35 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, you might be surprised! Do you think no one abuses a kid (or another adult, or an animal) in a small town? Do you think no one ever fights in a small town? There was an armed robbery in the parking lot of my DD's apartment building in a city of about 100,000 people. These things also happen in small towns.
There's more domestic violence, petty theft, child abuse, drug use and alcoholism in small towns than there are other places.

I grew up in nothing but small towns.
There was PLENTY of it all.

I would rather explain a slutty or gross Halloween costume than domestic violence and child abuse to a child.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Again, I'm just not seeing it-- and if I have to actively make the effort to listen to young Californian women txtqueen's age in order to find out that people are depicting themselves as goat-embracing souses, then I'm simply not understanding the need to paint the behavior as pandemic. I mean...some people are tacky. Some few are even nasty and tacky. I don't really have an issue with nasty tacky people when they're not being so at International Mall at four in the afternoon. (That's what Saturday night in Ybor City is for.)

Old 11-05-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
If its an all adult party what does it matter what these people do there?
I went to two halloween parties and our costumes were nothing children should wear(short skirts and cleavage showing) and we were drinking things children shouldn't drink but there were no children there so what does it matter?
Don't make me agree with you again, txt. It's disconcerting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting