Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I agree though the real scary and gory stuff is really for teens like one of the other posters here pointed out. The slutty, sleezy costumes should not even exist.
So rather than expect parents to supervise their children's shopping, we should just eliminate an entire class of products? I am not sure what slutty costumes you mean. But I can't think that an adult buying such a thing should be restricted. What people do in the privacy of their own homes is their own business. If they are into dress up, who are we to say they shouldn't?

Quote:
I think it should be for children too not children of all ages like with the circus. What is it with adults trying to be like their children when they are adults and suppose to be the authority figure. I wonder if any of them ever had a childhood? or maybe they just can't seem to grow out of it. Eh I think getting into Halloween is best done by helping the children to have a great costume they like and to have fun. It's really suppose to be fun for them no matter what it came from or how it used to be.
Why SHOULND'T grown ups have fun? when I grew up, did that mean I had to become boring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
It is what you make it. I didn't want my kids to see the ghoulish stuff so we didn't go to the ghoulish haunted houses. Simple. (And I knew even way back when I was a kid that after we went trick or treating the adults were gathering in the rec rooms to have a toddy for the body. It didn't corrupt me.)

Even though we have no kids now our house is decorated inside and out. I just spent the morning clipping back anything that has thorns from the walkways. (Even though no self-respecting desert kid is going to back into a palos verde tree no matter how much sugar he has in his system.) Anyone who comes to the door gets candy. We get to reconnect with the neighbors we haven't seen for months because of the heat. The football fans will all commiserate with each other on how badly the Cardinals stink.

I'm looking forward to a fun evening. (Well, except for the Cardinals part. It would have helped if they'd won yesterday, lol. But any kid dressed as Larry Fitzgerald, complete with dreads, gets extra candy. )

Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I don't think adults are stealing halloween....there are always events that cater to the young ones....be they public, or private parties....I have found though that more and more young mothers are now skipping the trick or treat part of halloween, and just having fun with carving pumpkins and having masquerade parties....all for the better I think....I've never thought much of the trick or treating part myself...all that suger and moodiness that goes with it.....approaching strangers for candy...that part I can definately live without.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:48 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
I believe that Halloween is a holiday that can be enjoyed by all ages just as any other holiday such as Christmas and Thanksgiving can be enjoyed by all ages.

In my early twenties I enjoyed going to NYC Halloween parade and many Halloween fancy dress parties. Yes it was wild and crazy at these parties along with costumes you may wish to question but children were not allowed to these parties.

Now that I have a child I still enjoy Halloween. I love dressing my little one up in homemade costumes and getting dressed up along with him. We like to do cheesy 80's movies since he is still little and doesn't get the jist. All he knows is that he gets loads of candy out of it. This year he was suppose to be Doc from Back to the Future but we could not find a lab coat for him, so he is going as Julius Cesar.

Halloween is for everyone and just because some people make questionable choices on what they do on Halloween it should not be spoiled for the rest of us.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM

OK, Ok No Kudzu just gave me another idea! Thank you No Kudzu! I think Toddler X is going as our little towns Animal Control Guy! Freaking cool!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
My daughter was a spider this morning at the Episcopalian pre-school Halloween thingy. My wife was dressed as Little Miss Muffet.

I wore a baseball cap with some tassles on it.

As soon as we get there the minister asks me what I am supposed to be and my wife says "He's the tuffet, I sit on his head."

Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM

Did the minister blush?

Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Mrs X- forgot to mention son also wore black eye patch with gore coming down his face. Wish I could find a picture. rat was on top of eye patch with tail of another rat coming out from under it. you can imagine how much a 10 year old boy was delighted!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
To me Halloween is supposed to be a fun day of fantasy for kids. They can dress up like ghosts or goblins and get candy and it is all fun. However adults are hijacking the holliday and taking it away from kids.

More and more halloween involves not "scary" but horrific images and depictions, and outright sleeze. Our 12 year old does not like going into halloween stores becuase of the gruesome displays. Not too long ago, someone who created such a display would end up in a mental institution. Halloween costumes for women and as a result for little girls have turned into a who can be sluttiest" competition. These things must be created by pedophiles. Realistically they are all slutty becuase the girls see mom and big sister dressing up that way and they want "grown up" costumes too.

Listen tot he radio this morning and they have things like "What happens on Halloween stay on Halloween" One discussion was about a dad who "hooked up" with his daughters best friends mother at a party. But it was Ok because it is Halloween. Another station was telling a gal that it was OK for her to forget about and not call or see again a guy she had sex with while in costume at a party. "he probably does not even know who you are, and after all it was Halloween, what can he expect?"

Why does Halloween have to become a day of sleaze and psychotic gruesomeness?

Haunted houses can be scary without making you want to vomit or giving you nightmares for a month. Costumes can be ghosts, goblins robots. Why do we need 8 year old girls dressed as slutty pirate wenches, slutty witches, slutty cats, or even slutty Dorthy? Boys do not nees ot be mass murderers with bloody weapons or horridly mutilated figures. Why cant a bot be a parrot, a ghost or a simple skeleton? (Not a realistic rotting corpse with globs of decaying flesh)

Why do adults have to take a fun holiday for kids and turn it into a night of sleezyness where "anything goes"?

We need to leave something for the kids without usurping it.
Ahhhh. You are not alone. I agree totally! Could have written this post myself. We must be of the same vintage! Hey, you're welcome to come trick or treat at my house - we're the one with Happy Jack - O - Lanterns, Smiling Witches and Ghosts that simply say, "BOO!"

Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I do not have a problem with scary. Scary is fine. Scary can be fun. I can tell a ghost story around a campfire that leaves people screaming and jumpy, but had not one bit of gore, not one drop of blood mentioned. What is the need for ripped open throats, trailing entrails or exposed brains? Disgusting gore is disgusting. It is not scary. I would not take my children out onto a battlefield to look at the disemboweled bodies and I have no interest in exposing them to the same thing in order to buy a Halloween costume. Things like haunted houses used to be just scary. Scary things leave something to the imagination. Gore is just gore. It is not really scary, it leaves nothing to the imgaination and it is just plain disgusting.

If someone gets out of their car and examines road kill for kicks they woudl be considered psychotic. However people make themselves look like road kill and it is cool.

I have yet to see an explanation or excuse for the little girl costumes designed by pedophiles. October is cold, and yet 90% of the little girl costumes expose as much flesh as possible. The adult women's costumes can be found on non-halloween days at any local strip club, or street corners frequented by hookers. Even the "plus sized" women's costumes are skimpy and bare it all. Why cant adults have fun by dressing up as a clown or a fish, or a clock? Are costumes like a priest with a bent over little boy attached to the front, or a penis costume, or endless versions of hooker costumes what we should be displaying to kids as adult behavior?

"Just wait to you grow up honey, then you can be slutty too."

(Oh no need to wait, here are some slutty costumes for 10 year old girls.)

Adults can have fun without turning the holiday into a sleezefest. If someone needs to dress slutty, or look completely disgusting to have fun, then they have a problem. Maybe some think Halloween should be a sleezefest where anything goes. You can have sex with your neighbors wife in a costume and then just forget about it - it was Just Halloween. Is that where we are going?

Personally, I would prefer to be able to take my kids into a costume store, or out to eat on Halloween without bringing them to the equivalent of a gore flick or a stripper club.

We have probably gone too far for such things to be restricted or limited by laws. However I do not understand why adults cannot be more considerate of young people, or why adults seem to feel that a celebration of debauchery is necessary. This it NOT what Halloween has always been. 20-30 years ago, maybe more recently, little girls wearing 2/3 of the little girl costumes in the costume store would not be given candy - their parents would have been given a lecture, or CPS would be called. Many of the costumes for adults or children would have resulted in arrest for indecent exposure. Others are so offensive that they would not have been allow in to anything. Every year it seems to go a little bit further and further. A little more slutty, a little younger with the slutty costumes, or more and more offensive costumes, or more extreme gore. A few years back I saw a haunted house with a display of mutilated pregnant women manequins with entrails laying on the floor and mutilated babies inside or laying nearby. Is this scary or sick?

Costumes are equally disgusting or offensive. Go to any large Halloween party and you will see some of the most base and vile concepts imaginable. You do not even have to go to the party. People will be walking down the street, out at restaurants or answering the door in such costumes. How to explain to little sally why a hairy penis and two testicles, or a man with bare woman's breasts, answered the door and gave her candy. "What is that costume daddy?"

It seems that in many instances, the goal is to come up with the most offensive costume possible. What is the point of this?

Can someone explain why they think it is a good thing to have a guy walking around a shopping mall with a costume the makes it look like he is having sex with a goat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting